Best OTC appetite supresser

Options

Replies

• lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Just looking at suggestions, no condescending attitudes needed.

When you ask people what they suggest, you need to be open to the fact that they will suggest alternatives. The unfortunate reality is that most marketed appetite suppressors do nothing or can be dangerous. The ones that do work tend to rely on caffiene, water content, and fiber to help fill you up/reduce your appetite. Members here want you to be safe and to not be ripped off - it's not an effort to be condescending, but to save you the trouble!

Caffiene is a very well known appetite suppressant. When I started eating on an intermittent fasting schedule drinking coffee helped provide some liquid to fill my stomach and caffiene to avoid the hunger. Fiber, which can be obtained from fruits, veggies, whole grains, or even added to drinks with powders like Metamucil, helps as well. These are reliable, safe, and easy options that don't call upon "miracle" ingredients that have never been proven.

The companies hawking these products want to convince you that these old standbys don't work, and that their product is the miracle fix and is worth you shelling out tons of money. Its definitely possible to have some success with them, but its generally associated with a placebo effect. Best of luck - it's always worth trying the cheap, tried, and true methods first!
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    If you refuse to go the healthy route I hear speed works :s

Phentermine worked a treat, but that was prescribed by a shady 'weight loss' dr. Seriously, my friend and I felt dirty every time we went. And, if you told him that the phentermine was keeping you up nights, he would happily prescribe Ambien, nervous? There is xanax or valium for that.
    Who needs a drug dealer with a doc like that? >:)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! But still looking for suggestions that's all not people saying don't use them.

There aren't any good suggestions. You either learn how to deal with satiety in natural ways, or you end up dependent on drugs.

Ain't no easy road here, unfortunately. It sucks, I know, but that's the universe we live in.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Look up acupuncture points ! You press on a certain point of your ear, and the second you even THINK about food, you feel sick to your stomach.

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Popcorn, gum, coffee, burpees.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Cigarettes, cocaine and diet soda.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Food has always worked well for me. Try it!

This works wonders!! :flowerforyou:
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I work at GNC and customers refuse to believe that I lost 120# through healthy eating and exercise.

Not looking forward to the upcoming "diet season"
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I work at GNC and customers refuse to believe that I lost 120# through healthy eating and exercise.

Not looking forward to the upcoming "diet season"

This has got to suck badly. *comfort* for the coming year.
  • Travis_2
    Travis_2 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    Bacon.
    Ice Cream.
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Not to be a smart *kitten*, but I brushed my teeth in a hurry without realizing a lady bug had landed on my toothbrush. BEST DIET AID EVER!!!!
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    A slice of cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Simple carbs like starches and sugar increase hunger. If you struggle with hunger, limit these foods, especially by themselves. Replace with protein, fiber, and a small amount of fat.
  • kailibertsch
    kailibertsch Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    reddcat wrote: »
    Not to be a smart *kitten*, but I brushed my teeth in a hurry without realizing a lady bug had landed on my toothbrush. BEST DIET AID EVER!!!!

OMG. I actually laughed out loud right at my desk at work. So gross.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Big glass of water, fibre-rich foods, casein protein, caffeine, high cocoa dark chocolate (nibble a square or two slowly). Fasting also is supposed to be a good tool for getting a handle on hunger some saw too. Also, re-arranging what you eat (more fat, more protein, less added sugar, less simple carbs).

I won't recommend any dieting products, as it's been simply too common a sight here to walk into pharmacies and find notices saying x/ y/ z dieting product has been withdrawn from the market, and the pharmacy accepts no responsibility for anything to do with said product, despite the same pharmacy aggressively / prominently promoting said product for the previous 2/ 3 months.

If you do want something in the form of a pill, I would recommend researching what vitamins/ minerals may help with appetite control, if you supplemented them.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Water, coffee and tea work for me.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Add dog food to everything you eat. That should work - unless you enjoy dog food.
  • cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    i'm actually about to see a doctor today because taking diet supplements (stacker 3, an old friend from my high school ED days) over christmas break may be causing my kidneys to fail. it was a stupid panicked mistake buying them, but i knew i wouldn't have any space to exercise for 10 days and i didn't know what else to do. don't *kitten* around with the stuff if you want to keep your health. take your vitamins, drink coffee or tea when you get a craving, eat less empty carbs and more protein, and stay hydrated. it'll do the job much better than any pill. now i'm gonna go put more icy-hot pads on and try not to die.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Add dog food to everything you eat. That should work - unless you enjoy dog food.

Just be careful not to stop in the middle of the road to lick yourself.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    Food.

I think this is really the best answer.

well outside of speed- but the best LONG term solution.