Some Rules for Gym Noobs.

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    sheahughes wrote: »
    Speaking of cardio machines - lower the damn treadmill! It's really not that hard to press the down button at the end of your workout :\

Yeah I've never understand that one.
  • mosertheninja
    mosertheninja Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Also...wow I actually got a LOT of positive responses!
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    The treadmills here lower automatically when you finish your time.
  • mosertheninja
    mosertheninja Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    The treadmills here lower automatically when you finish your time.

I wish ours did that! So many people leave them up! And for SOME reason, those are always the ones that seem to be broken.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Lol my old gym i went to, rarely any females joined and whenever one did come through the door, you could seriously go round the gym and take peoples belongings - no one cared if they got caught staring haha
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    This is sound advice, I work out at my local YMCA and to be honest every morning this week ive went down to the weight room its been an effin pig sty. Weights and dumbells all over the place, bars still loaded with plates on them and one lying in the middle of the floor with one 45lb weight on it. I couldnt find the 20lb or 35lb dumbells and someone had even spilled their chalk dust all over the floor and just left it. so #2 is my biggest pet peeve.

Last spring I busted some guy leaving every machine he used loaded....with 45s. There are several women who lift, and we got sick of spending an extra 15 minutes unloading machines, so I paid attention until I saw him. Then I walked over and told him " rerack your weights. I almost dropped one on my foot last week" . His eyes got big as saucers, but he jumped right up and did it. And for about a month after, he openly watched me lift.

For the record, I'm about 5'2" tall and not super muscular....

God yes. At my gym, it's rare that someone actually takes their weights off bars. 45s left on constantly. I'm a 5'2" newbie lifter. Removing those suckers isn't exactly fun.

I swear I've seen someone put on extra weight and just walk away...like they're trying to fool someone.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    If you're using a weight rack that has multiple stations to it (like a lat pull down on one side and a rower on the other), don't drop your weights while someone else it using it.

• millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »
    This is sound advice, I work out at my local YMCA and to be honest every morning this week ive went down to the weight room its been an effin pig sty. Weights and dumbells all over the place, bars still loaded with plates on them and one lying in the middle of the floor with one 45lb weight on it. I couldnt find the 20lb or 35lb dumbells and someone had even spilled their chalk dust all over the floor and just left it. so #2 is my biggest pet peeve.

Last spring I busted some guy leaving every machine he used loaded....with 45s. There are several women who lift, and we got sick of spending an extra 15 minutes unloading machines, so I paid attention until I saw him. Then I walked over and told him " rerack your weights. I almost dropped one on my foot last week" . His eyes got big as saucers, but he jumped right up and did it. And for about a month after, he openly watched me lift.

God yes. At my gym, it's rare that someone actually takes their weights off bars. 45s left on constantly. I'm a 5'2" newbie lifter. Removing those suckers isn't exactly fun.

I swear I've seen someone put on extra weight and just walk away...like they're trying to fool someone.

This is a little off-topic, but at most traditional "iron gyms" you're supposed to leave the bars loaded with 45s. I assume that's because no one lifted less than that. But I'm talking serious powerlifting/bodybuilding gyms here. I've found this rule doesn't apply so much anymore, especially at most commercial gyms. Just a little old-time gym history.

I agree you should unload the bars after you're done, but this could be a reason why some folks leave the 45s on. Or maybe they're just lazy toads..........

• amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Especially agree with not leaving your weights lying on the floor. Most of above rules should be common sense really but...Guess not... You see folks, some of us who frequent the weight room also have disabilities - I am visually impaired, and there's also Kevin Frost who comes to my gym (deaf-blind speedskater) and we make sure that we're there when staff is on-hand because on days when I have to change my schedule and come during the hour or two it's not staffed people generally leave their plates and bars all over the place, so thank goodness I make a habit of using my cane else...This here blind lady might almost break her neck because of your lack of attention/laziness
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    millerll wrote: »
    terar21 wrote: »

This is a little off-topic, but at most traditional "iron gyms" you're supposed to leave the bars loaded with 45s. I assume that's because no one lifted less than that. But I'm talking serious powerlifting/bodybuilding gyms here. I've found this rule doesn't apply so much anymore, especially at most commercial gyms. Just a little old-time gym history.

I agree you should unload the bars after you're done, but this could be a reason why some folks leave the 45s on. Or maybe they're just lazy toads..........

This is still the etiquette at our gym. It's a military gym (on base) and so it's considered polite to leave 45s on.

This is a pretty good list, OP. Personally when I was new I wanted to know all the etiquette before I went and this would have been helpful.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I used to leave the 45s but I know that teens and women need to start lighter. Even in the squat rack people do OHP so 45s in there aren't a good idea. Pls I've started to warm up with just the bar
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    sheahughes wrote: »
    Speaking of cardio machines - lower the damn treadmill! It's really not that hard to press the down button at the end of your workout :\

omfg I thought I was the only one, the treadmills in our gym dont go until they have 'reached neutral level'. Takes about an hour for it to return.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Funny because most noobs at my gym go straight to the machines. The weight room, not so much.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Make sure you can see the group class instructor. And don't be afraid to ask how do do an exercise - better than getting hurt. I'm not new, but I do that all the time.
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I haven't been into a weight room in a few months, just doing cardio right now (I know, I know!) and need to get back in there.

Your post reminds me of why I should wait another week or two :wink:

And seriously - NUMBER SIX. What is it with the folks who walk up, grab the dumbells they want, and start curling smushed up as close to the racks as they can? Just take a few steps back, man.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Wait wut?
    Do not block the walking paths. Go do your Agility ladder/Jump roping/Walking lunges in a designated area.

Most gyms don't have that.
    So guess what.. Walking area it is. And no. I won't walk around you.... if you walk into my barbell that's you're own fault.

I'd guess people lay out the agility ladders, jump ropes and the heavy ropes in the isles created in between the cardio machines.

At my Y I'll do sets of jumprope in between the cardio machines because people aren't getting on/off them constantly and I don't want to get in the way of people around the machines or free weights. As people tend to move around more than people on the cardio machines. I only need about a 60 sec interval to do that part of my superset
  • Vegas_Don
    Vegas_Don Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add... Allow someone to cut in while you're resting. A little courtesy goes a long way.exy1w9fjfuhv.png
  • Vegas_Don
    Vegas_Don Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    donamel04 wrote: »
    in reference to number 8, Boobs, butt, crotch.... It's all a distraction. After all we're there to work out, not torment the old guys (me). Unfortunately I go to a gym where the strippers frequent. Nothing against strippers mind you... I'd rather they left more to the imagination. I am a man after all, and I'm going to look. I might even smile or wink.

where is this gym you speak of?
    Las Vegas. Nuff said.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    lol at 8 and 12.

I still break those, and idgaf.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    No farting. Come on people, I know you feel it coming. Just hold it or go to the bathroom.

baw ha ha ha ha ha

yeah no.

that's just not how this works.

that's not how ANY of this works.
    I hope someone crop dusts them for a quarter for that transgression.