Some Rules for Gym Noobs.

Options

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Why though? I try to stand back because I want to give people space. I put the dumbells back even during a superset. There's usually double sets of dumbells and I hate tripping on the 3 sets of dumbells laying around the free weight room.
  • bstetson1
    bstetson1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Tonight the only Noob at the gym was my husband. I was annoyed at having to re-rack nearly every 45lb weight in the place when we showed up. Then I watched in horror as my hubbie left all his weights on too! Good thing we were the only ones there. When it was time to go, I casually said, sure, let me help you re-rack all your weights. No need to embarrass, but he got the point.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    millerll wrote: »
    terar21 wrote: »
    This is sound advice, I work out at my local YMCA and to be honest every morning this week ive went down to the weight room its been an effin pig sty. Weights and dumbells all over the place, bars still loaded with plates on them and one lying in the middle of the floor with one 45lb weight on it. I couldnt find the 20lb or 35lb dumbells and someone had even spilled their chalk dust all over the floor and just left it. so #2 is my biggest pet peeve.

Last spring I busted some guy leaving every machine he used loaded....with 45s. There are several women who lift, and we got sick of spending an extra 15 minutes unloading machines, so I paid attention until I saw him. Then I walked over and told him " rerack your weights. I almost dropped one on my foot last week" . His eyes got big as saucers, but he jumped right up and did it. And for about a month after, he openly watched me lift.

For the record, I'm about 5'2" tall and not super muscular....

God yes. At my gym, it's rare that someone actually takes their weights off bars. 45s left on constantly. I'm a 5'2" newbie lifter. Removing those suckers isn't exactly fun.

I swear I've seen someone put on extra weight and just walk away...like they're trying to fool someone.

This is a little off-topic, but at most traditional "iron gyms" you're supposed to leave the bars loaded with 45s. I assume that's because no one lifted less than that. But I'm talking serious powerlifting/bodybuilding gyms here. I've found this rule doesn't apply so much anymore, especially at most commercial gyms. Just a little old-time gym history.

I agree you should unload the bars after you're done, but this could be a reason why some folks leave the 45s on. Or maybe they're just lazy toads..........

yeah no.

I got to a power lifting gym- it's still bad form to leave the weights on.

Lots of us warm up with the bar.
  • nashvillenellie
    nashvillenellie Posts: 75 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    yes yes yes - All of them -- very sound advice . At my gym, which is the Y, the seniors come to socialize, and will sit at two different machines to shoot the bull with each other. All day you have to ask people to let you use the machines. If you are going to do exercises with dumb bells, don't sit on the darn bike - sit on the darn bench. I'm a senior also but I've never seen this before, they don't even wear workout shoes, they wear Stacy Adams shoes, Kangol hats and street pants!! OK enough complaining.
    -

alighterday, I so agree with you. My gym is full of seniors who come to gossip and drink free coffee. It annoys the crap out of me. You can not even get to the strength training machines because they use the equipment as seats to set and talk.

• Joshuam2107
    Options
    #1 is the reason I'm begging my gym to get another power rack.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    #1: No, the power cage is not a good place for curls. Treat the power cage the same as the squat rack - it just looks different and you can do a few more things (rack pulls and deficit deads, for instance) in them.
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Amen!
  • TJ_Rugger
    TJ_Rugger Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    PREACH!!!!
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    That being said, if you're 130lb male, and you have abs...we really aren't that impressed.
    Why does every "educate the newbs" thread have to come off as elitist and a-holish? Can't people outline what is basically just glorified opinions on etiquette without trying to sound like God's f****** gift to the gym?

Hm. So you reduce the whole post down to one line and decide the entire thing comes off as elitist and a-holish?

What flavor is the chip on your shoulder?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'll add one - if you're sick, stay home. Nobody enjoys hearing you coughing and hacking your lungs for an hour on the elliptical.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    That being said, if you're 130lb male, and you have abs...we really aren't that impressed.
    Why does every "educate the newbs" thread have to come off as elitist and a-holish? Can't people outline what is basically just glorified opinions on etiquette without trying to sound like God's f****** gift to the gym?

Hm. So you reduce the whole post down to one line and decide the entire thing comes off as elitist and a-holish?

I hope it's pork belly and hoisin. Wouldn't that be amazing?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Or chocolate dippped potato chips. Are they real? Please tell me they are real.

• fivethreeone
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

I'm a fan of those Hint of Lime ones, but yeah, pork belly and hoisin would blow my mind.
  • fivethreeone
    Options

ok, I'll throw out: #2. Re-rack your F-ing weights

So that's not a-holish? Also, the title of the thread title is a little a-holish. "Rules of gym noobs." Why not say advice? Tips. Pointers. Nah, we'll go with "rules" because that makes me sound more right and you more wrong for not knowing.

I mean, you can take it how you want. Either read that and think, "Hey, I should re-rack my weights so I'm not a jerk," or read it and complain that someone didn't package their advice in your particular favorite color wrapping paper.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

Feel free to make a list on your own
  • fivethreeone
    Options

ok, I'll throw out: #2. Re-rack your F-ing weights

So that's not a-holish? Also, the title of the thread title is a little a-holish. "Rules of gym noobs." Why not say advice? Tips. Pointers. Nah, we'll go with "rules" because that makes me sound more right and you more wrong for not knowing.

I mean, you can take it how you want. Either read that and think, "Hey, I should re-rack my weights so I'm not a jerk," or read it and complain that someone didn't package their advice in your particular favorite color wrapping paper.
    Yeah, but one of the rules even says how everyone seems angry but most people are actually nice. Why not just not seem angry in the first place?

Really? Now you want to tell me what expression should be on my face in the gym?

When I'm in the zone I do look hyper-focused, which some people might take as looking angry. And no, I'm not going to try to adjust my face into a pleasant configuration in order to not scare you. Instead I'll say, "I might look angry, but I'm actually nice."

See how that works?