Some Rules for Gym Noobs.

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I used to leave the 45s but I know that teens and women some people need to start lighter. Even in the squat rack people do OHP so 45s in there aren't a good idea. Pls I've started to warm up with just the bar

FIFY
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    lol
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    That being said, if you're 130lb male, and you have abs...we really aren't that impressed.
    Why does every "educate the newbs" thread have to come off as elitist and a-holish? Can't people outline what is basically just glorified opinions on etiquette without trying to sound like God's f****** gift to the gym?

Hm. So you reduce the whole post down to one line and decide the entire thing comes off as elitist and a-holish?

What flavor is the chip on your shoulder?

ok, I'll throw out: #2. Re-rack your F-ing weights

So that's not a-holish? Also, the title of the thread title is a little a-holish. "Rules of gym noobs." Why not say advice? Tips. Pointers. Nah, we'll go with "rules" because that makes me sound more right and you more wrong for not knowing.

I mean, you can take it how you want. Either read that and think, "Hey, I should re-rack my weights so I'm not a jerk," or read it and complain that someone didn't package their advice in your particular favorite color wrapping paper.
    Yeah, but one of the rules even says how everyone seems angry but most people are actually nice. Why not just not seem angry in the first place?

Really? Now you want to tell me what expression should be on my face in the gym?

When I'm in the zone I do look hyper-focused, which some people might take as looking angry. And no, I'm not going to try to adjust my face into a pleasant configuration in order to not scare you. Instead I'll say, "I might look angry, but I'm actually nice."

See how that works?

Hmm, sure. I mean if the OP can outline, what, 10+ rules for people I'll say my rule is "if you're nice actually seem nice." You don't have to follow it but yeah, it's one of my rules. Another rule, don't be a a-hole when you're giving advice. That's a good one.

"Gym rules" are general standards of etiquette that a lot of people ask about around here. As such, the list given in the OP is a pretty accurate representation of how people should behave in the gym.

BFDeal rules are, fortunately, no BFDeal.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    That being said, if you're 130lb male, and you have abs...we really aren't that impressed.
    Why does every "educate the newbs" thread have to come off as elitist and a-holish? Can't people outline what is basically just glorified opinions on etiquette without trying to sound like God's f****** gift to the gym?

Hm. So you reduce the whole post down to one line and decide the entire thing comes off as elitist and a-holish?

I hope it's pork belly and hoisin. Wouldn't that be amazing?
    Or chocolate dippped potato chips. Are they real? Please tell me they are real.
    oh they're real, go to trader joes.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

So that's not a-holish? Also, the title of the thread title is a little a-holish. "Rules of gym noobs." Why not say advice? Tips. Pointers. Nah, we'll go with "rules" because that makes me sound more right and you more wrong for not knowing.

I mean, you can take it how you want. Either read that and think, "Hey, I should re-rack my weights so I'm not a jerk," or read it and complain that someone didn't package their advice in your particular favorite color wrapping paper.
    Yeah, but one of the rules even says how everyone seems angry but most people are actually nice. Why not just not seem angry in the first place?

Really? Now you want to tell me what expression should be on my face in the gym?

When I'm in the zone I do look hyper-focused, which some people might take as looking angry. And no, I'm not going to try to adjust my face into a pleasant configuration in order to not scare you. Instead I'll say, "I might look angry, but I'm actually nice."

See how that works?

Hmm, sure. I mean if the OP can outline, what, 10+ rules for people I'll say my rule is "if you're nice actually seem nice." You don't have to follow it but yeah, it's one of my rules. Another rule, don't be a a-hole when you're giving advice. That's a good one.

What is your credibility to create such a list? From the looks here, you are being neither nice, or not an a-hole in response.

You might want to clean it up a bit before complaining about others.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

See how that works?

My advice: Do not make assumptions about people based on their outward appearance because that's a pretty terrible thing to do.

Oh wait, let me rephrase so that the advice is delicately worded:

You know what would be super cool with cherries on top? If people could please, maybe not make assumptions about others demeanors based on their outward expression. That would be super nice if that's something you could try hard to correct.

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I used to leave the 45s but I know that teens and women need to start lighter. Even in the squat rack people do OHP so 45s in there aren't a good idea. Pls I've started to warm up with just the bar

I stated that even I would not like to start with the 45s on some cases. I just illustrated some examples (not all)
  • fivethreeone
    Options

See how that works?

"Gym rules" are general standards of etiquette that a lot of people ask about around here. As such, the list given in the OP is a pretty accurate representation of how people should behave in the gym.

BFDeal rules are, fortunately, no BFDeal.

Yeah the rules are fine. I just said the OPs tone with elitist and a-holish.

Lol, you're a dude?!

I just went to your profile like, wtf who is this celery and cracked up to discover you're a 35-year-old dude. That's it, I'm out. This is the apex.
  • fivethreeone
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »

See how that works?

My advice: Do not make assumptions about people based on their outward appearance because that's a pretty terrible thing to do.

You know what would be super cool with cherries on top? If people could please, maybe not make assumptions about others demeanors based on their outward expression. That would be super nice if that's something you could try hard to correct.

But does your face look nice enough as you're saying that?
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I used to leave the 45s but I know that teens and women need to start lighter. Even in the squat rack people do OHP so 45s in there aren't a good idea. Pls I've started to warm up with just the bar

I stated that even I would not like to start with the 45s on some cases. I just illustrated some examples (not all)

Does not change the fact that the statement "I know that teens and women' is wrong. An example would include words such as "e.g." or "for example". and "some".

• JeffseekingV
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Teen, woman and men are included. Not all. But they often fit the description of those that would prefer. So it's not wrong because teens, woman and men all included in the group that might like to start with the bar. As so I. Not all though
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Teen, woman and men are included. Not all. But they often fit the description of those that would prefer. So it's not wrong because teens, woman and men all included in the group that might like to start with the bar. As so I. Not all though

Then you should have been more careful in your wording and actually said that.

Your statement without your clarification was wrong. I start with 45s when dealifting as my first warm up weight - therefore...

You warm up with 45s in bench, OHP, curls etc?

read what I said

I already took a very close look at your post. My post did not specify deads. But even deads, I use the bar bar to warm up with. If you as an individual, warm up with 45s during the specific lift such as the deads, then my post clearly doesn't apply to you as an individual. I hope that clears everything up. As to not derail another thread, feel free to PM any specific questions. I'd be happy to address them

• Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Good to know!!!! I just joined a gym and I'm still learning the ropes. Don't want to tick anyone off who can kick my tail!

Oh and I might have a b**chy resting face, but I'm really pretty sweet... honest! So if I don't have sunshine and ponies blowing out of every orifice while I'm working out, please don't think I'm a not-nice person.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    meh...OP is just being a gym snob.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »

See how that works?

But does your face look nice enough as you're saying that?

I tried really hard to smile but it might have just looked like a grimace.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Your statement without your clarification was wrong. I start with 45s when dealifting as my first warm up weight - therefore...
  • JeffseekingV
    edited January 2015
    Options

You warm up with 45s in bench, OHP, curls etc? I wasn't that lift specific
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

You warm up with 45s in bench, OHP, curls etc?

read what I said
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    The rules are written in a pretty patronising way, so I doubt you converted many.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    #firstworldproblems