Some Rules for Gym Noobs.

Options

Replies

• Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I was at the gym today and it smelled like the older woman on the treadmill BATHED in perfume. It was so overpowering--even two treadmills down. Look, I don't care if you put a full face of makeup on and you wear all your jewelry--if that's your thing, cool--but please think of others and don't bathe in your perfume.
  • tomsarno
    tomsarno Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve. Everyone sees that you are lifting. No need to drop the weight as hard as possible to get attention.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    love the tone/concern trolling here. "oooh. it's condescending" "oooh you're elitist"

really? are you also proud that you have never left the US or can't pick out Iceland on a map, too? really? "elitist"? "oooh, you're not gonna convert anyone". we shouldn't have to. being mindful and polite in a new situation shouldn't have to be specified like this.

bottom line: you're new and you don't know what you're doing. don't dunning/krüger. actually admit that fact to yourself and observe, check your ego at the door, and learn the ways of the Jedi errrrr gym you've joined

basics: check out the vibe of the gym as you get used to it. be mindful of traffic, lifting areas. be polite and ask if you're not sure (you'd be surprised that the other reciprocates). pay attention -- don't walk too close to the KB swinger who's in the corner / don't reach for the weights and dodge around the ATG squatter, etc.

and please do not curl in the squat rack. it doesn't do anything for your bis but does prevent squatting from happening. and please rack. it really is scary seeing someone take a step back and falling over someone else's crap and getting injured.

and hier's your blumfy. It's part blanket and all comfy. and your teddy bear. there. is that tone better?

• heftybelson
    Options
    rule no: 345... remember leg day
  • SunshineGoodVibes
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    TO THE OP:

I hope you understand that taking the time to write ALL of those said "rules" out on MFP is a clear and blatant waste of time. Chances are, people will do what they please, even if you don't agree with it.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but that's just reality. It happens at every gym. If you have an issue with that, I suggest you workout in your own home where your rules will not be broken.

considering several gym new goers replied to the thread you are already wrong….
    Oh really? Please explain because I would love to hear how i'm "wrong"? I'm all ears so go on.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    TO THE OP:

I hope you understand that taking the time to write ALL of those said "rules" out on MFP is a clear and blatant waste of time. Chances are, people will do what they please, even if you don't agree with it.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but that's just reality. It happens at every gym. If you have an issue with that, I suggest you workout in your own home where your rules will not be broken.

Oh really? Please explain because I would love to hear how i'm "wrong"? I'm all ears so go on.

I'd say 3/4 of gym goers adhere to most of these rules. It's the few regulars and newbies that ruin it for the rest.
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I agree with a majority of the rules, if not all, but a few of the contributors to this thread are the exact reason as to why so many people are afraid to go to the gym, or to come back. If you see someone not following etiquette, politely let them know what is usually done. Show them the ropes. Extend a little kindness.

For some people, going to the gym is a huge, momentous step (also, terrifying for those who have anxiety, social or otherwise) and it will lead to a long love affair with cardio and weight lifting.

For those who do run into the few who are rude, elitist and self-important, they'll lose their mojo, their self-esteem and be afraid to come back to get in the way of such "greatness".

We were all new once - remember that newbies need a little guidance sometimes, and don't be so rough on the really new ones. :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I'm going to be posting this list of rules in my gym next time I'm there, like a regular Martin Luther.

Had to tell a dude to eff off because he stepped over my barbell while I was mid pull in a deadlift. If it were lighter I would have pulled it faster to tap him in the wedding tackle.

for real?????
    furrealz, it was only 275, but *kitten*, for all he knew I was max pulling. That's a major party foul.

Didn't work out today, but left a copy of the rules, which were cleaned up a little, at the gym's in the weight area, then bounced to go watch Lord of the Hobbit: The Battle of Peter Jackson.
  • dbmata
    Options
    On another note, 385 is going to be up for me by the end of next month. Came so close last time

Dude. I feel weak now. Wow.

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I agree with a majority of the rules, if not all, but a few of the contributors to this thread are the exact reason as to why so many people are afraid to go to the gym, or to come back. If you see someone not following etiquette, politely let them know what is usually done. Show them the ropes. Extend a little kindness.

For some people, going to the gym is a huge, momentous step (also, terrifying for those who have anxiety, social or otherwise) and it will lead to a long love affair with cardio and weight lifting.

For those who do run into the few who are rude, elitist and self-important, they'll lose their mojo, their self-esteem and be afraid to come back to get in the way of such "greatness".

We were all new once - remember that newbies need a little guidance sometimes, and don't be so rough on the really new ones. :)

Newbies are not always nice themselves. Everyone should just mind their business more. *nod*
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    On another note, 385 is going to be up for me by the end of next month. Came so close last time

I'll only be around 2.2 times body weight when I make it happen. So happy I only pull heavy in my powerlifting gym these days - no people doing silly things and I don't draw a crowd
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    WOW!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    rule no: 345... remember leg day

I feel like leg day should at least be in the top 15 haha :D
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I'll only be around 2.2 times body weight when I make it happen. So happy I only pull heavy in my powerlifting gym these days - no people doing silly things and I don't draw a crowd

"Only" 2.2x body weight.

Badass.

edited because things came up fine during the preview, then pooped the bed when posting
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be posting this list of rules in my gym next time I'm there, like a regular Martin Luther.

Had to tell a dude to eff off because he stepped over my barbell while I was mid pull in a deadlift. If it were lighter I would have pulled it faster to tap him in the wedding tackle.

for real?????
    furrealz, it was only 275, but *kitten*, for all he knew I was max pulling. That's a major party foul.

Didn't work out today, but left a copy of the rules, which were cleaned up a little, at the gym's in the weight area, then bounced to go watch Lord of the Hobbit: The Battle of Peter Jackson.

You took a picture right?

• dbmata
    Options
    I should have. Forgot to. Been forgetting a lot of stuff lately, basic stuff. >_<
  • SunshineGoodVibes
    SunshineGoodVibes Posts: 107
    edited January 2015
    Options
    TO THE OP:

I'd say 3/4 of gym goers adhere to most of these rules. It's the few regulars and newbies that ruin it for the rest.

lol says you. All the "noobs" (btw 12 year old boys going through puberty use that word) i've come across have been perfectly fine. I think you guys are being too judgmental and not focusing on your workout. You're also forgetting you and everyone on this post (*COUGH OP*) were newbies at one point so chill and give people a break.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options

Jeez just because someone is new to the gym doesn't mean they are these awkward little turtles who've never done anything with their lives. I don't think it is fair to talk about them like they have no idea how to handle themselves.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i love seeing new people in the gym. my only requests are do not were perfume/cologne, and spray into the rag and then wipe the machine down (dont spray the machine down and then wipe off). Air pollution
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    LOL- gym was packed- only 5-7 new people- everyone else were the same old faces- they just came back after taking off apparently an entire effing month.
    -
    slackers.

and they were the ones complaining the most about it being packed!!! douchecanoes. whatever.