Some Rules for Gym Noobs.

Options

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    #firstworldproblems

So just because they are only problems experienced in the first world, an attempt can't be made to correct them?

#onlyproblemslikestarvationrateasolution
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Read most of the OP, not all of it. Its mostly crap. I love to see noobs in the gym and I don't think they need this kind of nonsense. Instead of lecturing, how bout help them in the gym, then they will learn without feeling like they are in the way, which they certainly are not.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I took the OP's "rules" as slightly tongue in cheek. As a Gym Noob, I was NOT in ANY way offended. I have MUCH thicker skin than that! People need to stop expecting the entire world to sugar coat every word that crosses their delicate little ears.

Say what you mean and mean what you say, and if you don't like something you heard, suck it up buttercup!. Period. Do that and there would be a heck of a lot less Butt-hurt in the world.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    That being said, if you're 130lb male, and you have abs...we really aren't that impressed.
    Why does every "educate the newbs" thread have to come off as elitist and a-holish? Can't people outline what is basically just glorified opinions on etiquette without trying to sound like God's f****** gift to the gym?

Hm. So you reduce the whole post down to one line and decide the entire thing comes off as elitist and a-holish?

What flavor is the chip on your shoulder?

ok, I'll throw out: #2. Re-rack your F-ing weights

So that's not a-holish? Also, the title of the thread title is a little a-holish. "Rules of gym noobs." Why not say advice? Tips. Pointers. Nah, we'll go with "rules" because that makes me sound more right and you more wrong for not knowing.

There, there. Doctor Zoidberg has the cure for what ails you.

dr-zoidbergs-butthurt-cream.jpg
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I lift at home, but find no issue with any item on the OPs list. If that kind of list or the "tone" of that list gets your chonies all bunched up, existing socially in a gym environment is the least of your problems.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Read most of the OP, not all of it. Its mostly crap. I love to see noobs in the gym and I don't think they need this kind of nonsense. Instead of lecturing, how bout help them in the gym, then they will learn without feeling like they are in the way, which they certainly are not.

Do you or do you not realize that the OP's list is basically the average gym rules posted on the wall somewhere in most gyms.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    That being said, if you're 130lb male, and you have abs...we really aren't that impressed.
    Why does every "educate the newbs" thread have to come off as elitist and a-holish? Can't people outline what is basically just glorified opinions on etiquette without trying to sound like God's f****** gift to the gym?

Hm. So you reduce the whole post down to one line and decide the entire thing comes off as elitist and a-holish?

So that's not a-holish? Also, the title of the thread title is a little a-holish. "Rules of gym noobs." Why not say advice? Tips. Pointers. Nah, we'll go with "rules" because that makes me sound more right and you more wrong for not knowing.

I mean, you can take it how you want. Either read that and think, "Hey, I should re-rack my weights so I'm not a jerk," or read it and complain that someone didn't package their advice in your particular favorite color wrapping paper.
    Yeah, but one of the rules even says how everyone seems angry but most people are actually nice. Why not just not seem angry in the first place?

because #thestruggleisreal
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v98CPXNiSk

why is my job again to help them? I'm paid to help them- I'm not paid at all to be there- I'm there to work out- and while I'm happy to engage other people and I ask/offer a spot all the time.
    But it's not my job to baby sit them. Seriously- I have better things to do - my time is valuable- and if someone wants to use it- then they should pay for it.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

No, re-rack your F'ing weights is not aholish. It's the sign of someone that's tired of having to do your (general you, not specifically you) housekeeping for you.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'll add one - if you're sick, stay home. Nobody enjoys hearing you coughing and hacking your lungs for an hour on the elliptical.

There was someone at my gym coughing so bad today. He wasn't covering either. The entire time I was thinking he better not have the flipping flu!

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I mean, you can take it how you want. Either read that and think, "Hey, I should re-rack my weights so I'm not a jerk," or read it and complain that someone didn't package their advice in your particular favorite color wrapping paper.
    Yeah, but one of the rules even says how everyone seems angry but most people are actually nice. Why not just not seem angry in the first place?

why is my job again to help them? I'm paid to help them- I'm not paid at all to be there- I'm there to work out- and while I'm happy to engage other people and I ask/offer a spot all the time.
    But it's not my job to baby sit them. Seriously- I have better things to do - my time is valuable- and if someone wants to use it- then they should pay for it.

That's how I feel. I'll help 1-2 but I don't have the time to help all the rule violators. That is what the staff is for
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Is that the girl from those phone commercials? Shes my TV crush.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    All summer I wipe people's swampy butt prints off of the benches before I use them, I never say a word. How is it mean or judgemental to tell people to wipe the equipment after they use it?! Reracking your weights and being considerate of other people's time when they are waiting is just common courtesy it's not judgmental at all.

Why should people who go to the gym more often be the unofficial gym maids, when everyone could just clean up after themselves?

My post about people letting their kids run amuk was after some little boy who's parents were nowhere to be found cannonballed into a lap lane as an unaware lap swimmer was heading towards the wall. He could have been seriously hurt.

It's 'free family week' at my gym, but it seems like people just dropped off their kids and didn't even stay. It's madness.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Everytime I read one of these, it makes me so glad I invested in a home gym
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Teen, woman and men are included. Not all. But they often fit the description of those that would prefer. So it's not wrong because teens, woman and men all included in the group that might like to start with the bar. As so I. Not all though
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Teen, woman and men are included. Not all. But they often fit the description of those that would prefer. So it's not wrong because teens, woman and men all included in the group that might like to start with the bar. As so I. Not all though

Then you should have been more careful in your wording and actually said that.

Your statement without your clarification was wrong. I start with 45s when dealifting as my first warm up weight - therefore...

You warm up with 45s in bench, OHP, curls etc?

read what I said

I already took a very close look at your post. My post did not specify deads. But even deads, I use the bar bar to warm up with. If you as an individual, warm up with 45s during the specific lift such as the deads, then my post clearly doesn't apply to you as an individual. I hope that clears everything up. As to not derail another thread, feel free to PM any specific questions. I'd be happy to address them

Not talking about the specific lift - I just used that as an example.

You stated:

"I used to leave the 45s but I know that teens and women need to start lighter. Even in the squat rack people do OHP so 45s in there aren't a good idea. Pls I've started to warm up with just the bar"

I FIFY'd it do actually say what you are now saying - as in 'some people'. Simple as that.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »
    All summer I wipe people's swampy butt prints off of the benches before I use them, I never say a word. How is it mean or judgemental to tell people to wipe the equipment after they use it?! Reracking your weights and being considerate of other people's time when they are waiting is just common courtesy it's not judgmental at all.

Why should people who go to the gym more often be the unofficial gym maids, when everyone could just clean up after themselves?

My post about people letting their kids run amuk was after some little boy who's parents were nowhere to be found cannonballed into a lap lane as an unaware lap swimmer was heading towards the wall. He could have been seriously hurt.

It's 'free family week' at my gym, but it seems like people just dropped off their kids and didn't even stay. It's madness.

LOL dropping a set of deads just touch louder than normal, usually has the parents rounding up the kiddies away from the free weight room
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    errollm wrote: »

It's a goal of mine
  • stormflower90
    Options
    I'd like to add also:

Don't flipping yak on your cell phone! Take that mess to the lobby! (It's the rule at my gym). Noob today is doing dead lifts while holding the phone between her neck and shoulder, left the rack to go to two more weight machines, being gone for 10 minutes and the rack was still free I started setting up my weights, she runs over fussing that she wasn't finished. Honey no, it doesn't work that way.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I'd like to add also:

Don't flipping yak on your cell phone! Take that mess to the lobby! (It's the rule at my gym). Noob today is doing dead lifts while holding the phone between her neck and shoulder, left the rack to go to two more weight machines, being gone for 10 minutes and the rack was still free I started setting up my weights, she runs over fussing that she wasn't finished. Honey no, it doesn't work that way.

Ii circuit train so I always offer to let people work in. In fact, those that work in usually squat the equipment so they actually help me man the piece of equipment and more people can work on thing vs sitting there tapping on your phone etc.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    errollm wrote: »

When I have a few k free, definitely making the home gym investment.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Honestly, I took the OP's "rules" as slightly tongue in cheek. As a Gym Noob, I was NOT in ANY way offended. I have MUCH thicker skin than that! People need to stop expecting the entire world to sugar coat every word that crosses their delicate little ears.

Say what you mean and mean what you say, and if you don't like something you heard, suck it up buttercup!. Period. Do that and there would be a heck of a lot less Butt-hurt in the world.

Right, its not meant to be offensive. Just a set of rules