WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2015

Options

Replies

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today's joke of the day:

:)

An engineer dies and reports to the pearly gates. St. Peter checks his dossier and says, "Ah, you're an engineer — you're in the wrong place." So the engineer reports to the gates of hell and is let in. Pretty soon, the engineer gets dissatisfied with the level of comfort in hell, and starts designing and building improvements. After a while, they've got air conditioning, flush toilets and escalators, and the engineer is becoming a pretty popular guy. One day God calls Satan up on the telephone and asks with a sneer, "So, how's it going down there in hell?" Satan replies, "Hey, things are going great. We've got air conditioning, flush toilets and escalators, and there's no telling what this engineer is going to come up with next." God replies, "What??? You've got an engineer? That's a mistake — he should never have gotten down there; send him up here." Satan says, "No way! I like having an engineer on the staff, and I'm keeping him." God says, "Send him back up here or I'll sue." Satan laughs uproariously and answers, "Yeah right. And just where are YOU going to get a lawyer?"

:D
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: I wondered if my brain was working right and so did my family. They jumped to the conclusion that I was in danger of Alzheimers. I realized that I had to make some changes to see what was going on. Kim pointed me toward an AARP article about sleep deprivation and its impact on memory. So I focused on it and also quit alcohol altogether. I’m doing much better. I owe Kim a lot for pointing me in the right direction. You, my friend, have been under a load of stress. Are you getting enough rest?

Sally W: I love the multiple tickers!

Karen in WY: I had a huge problem with portions, which is how I gained all the weight. I followed advice from people on MFP and bought a food scale and also restaurant style dishers. They’re “ice-cream” scoops of different sizes and help me to stay honest with how many potatoes, or cheerios, or-- I have actually put into my bowl. You can simply use measuring cups and do away with the expense, but the dishers do make serving easier. Bottom line for me is portion control, and I’ll always have to monitor how much I’m serving myself.

Barbie: I can’t believe you walked without the dogs! I’m proud of you for taking care of your health, with or without their company.

Gail: I’m glad to see you back and am also curious about your medical leave.

Barb form South Louisiana: I love your quotation! It will make a wonderful mantra.

Kim: I’m happy you’re back, which I may have said before. I can’t imagine heating with wood and being faced with no burn days. Sixty to sixty three is chilly, to say the least.

Time for yoga. I haven’t finished reading and responding, but this is my first day with the new teacher and I don’t want to be late.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday ! ! ! Today's weather is supposed to be in the positives, but the drive this morning was terrible because the salt doesn't work on the ice and snow (2 more inches fell last night) when it is this cold. Tomorrow is supposed to be worse, then we should see double-digits by the weekend. I am thankful for furnaces and the seat warmer in my car. :D

Sylvia - I LOVE the basketball story. And I love the price of admission to local basketball games. My son started playing at 3, then got serious about it in 6th grade, now this is the first year he got cut from a team, but he plans to try-out again next year. My youngest sister played basketball in College, not because she is tall, but because she is athletic and left-handed. Keep those girls active ! ! ! Hugs and prayers for their present/future.

Heather - the exercise I do for my back several times a day is just laying on my back, trying to push my bellybutton to the floor, and tightening as many ab muscles as possible. There are many more, but I get them from the Physical Therapists where I work (I have a herniated disc and RA). As far as support for depression, when I was trying to deal with my DD, I was part of an online NAMI support group. It is definitely hard and frustrating. Hugs to your hubby and you (and of course kids) !

Oops. It got busy here, and I lost my train of thought. I hope everyone is able to make wise choices today. Hugs all around ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee

• DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    My scale bit the dust today so I'm flying blind for now. Maybe that's a good thing.

I'm on a Facebook challenge to declutter too. Toss 1 thing on Jan 1, 2 things on Jan 2, 3 things on Jan 3, etc. So over 31 days you get rid of 496 things. We just moved in June and did a big purge then. I'm sure I can still find more to get rid of. It is just crazy how much stuff we accumulate!

Diana in Northeast Indiana
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Heather (Northampton UK) – oh my 2 UK Heathers!!! I think you are the only Heathers I know; it doesn’t seem to be a popular name in California… anyway - For your back I do something the Physical Therapist called “dead bug” so you lay on the floor on your back, put your arms and legs in the air bent slightly at the elbows and knees and then keeping them in the air move the right leg and arm toward your head and the left ones toward your feet and back and forth you go… That sounds so weird reading it,,,, but I checked on youtube and if you search for dead bug core exercise there it is…

As for hubby and depression – sunshine, exercise, and professional help are my go to…

Yanniejannie and daughter – Sending good thoughts for vet school!

Katla – so glad the sleep thing has helped and while I may have mentioned the article; the one who implemented it was YOU – and all the credit goes to the implementater! (spelling? )

January goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday
    Do a fun thing every week.

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,351 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon all! :flowerforyou:

This is the 4th day I have done my typing. o:) I am proud of myself and feel much happier. :bigsmile: (creating new good habits)

Margaret - I remember you are interested in fermented food. My new book has just arrived - REAL FOOD FERMENTATION by Alex Lewis. Exciting! I was going to buy a sauerkraut fermenting crock from Amazon but they are now out of stock. :cry:

Sorry for all the backache people. Yoga is good, but you need the right teacher. Ours is superb as nearly all of us are over 60 and some nearer 80.! When I got to yoga this morning I was having a lot of rheumatism aches and pains and told the teacher I felt 95. :grumble: At the end I was happy to report I felt 60. (My rheumatism is worse in the damp weather) She accommodates all kinds of limitations.
    Before I lost weight I had backache, ankle ache, hip ache, knee ache etc etc etc. I still get them occasionally, like today, but they are 300% better. Keeping moving is the key. The only problem with yoga is that it doesn't burn as many calories as my machines etc, but I treat it as a rest day and to bring some variety. I also love the women there. :love:
    I am not going to the WI meeting tonight as they are showing a film, Philomena, and I prefer to watch films at home by myself. :ohwell: Also the chairs there are soooo uncomfortable that they make my back ache. It is a primary school. :laugh: That will be 2 months I have missed. Last month it was a trip to a brewery, the last thing I need. :noway: My son is the manager of a brewery! ! ! !
    I'm doing easy food at the moment - I've gone off cooking. It's ragu from the freezer with frozen spinach. Jacket potatoes for DH.

Love to all. Hugs for Jane. :heart:
    My DH is on meds for depression and anxiety and so is my son. The right meds are life savers, but my son had trouble finding the right one. He is good now. My DH is feeling so much better he is gradually cutting down. Very gradually.

Heather in gloomy Hampshire UK

27681614.png
  • rupert2011
    rupert2011 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Jane - Prayers for your friend and mom. I'm sending a big hug to you ((( ))))
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,951 Member
    Options
    Joyce in Indiana, my son is 30 and sounds a lot like yours only he has 1 son (5 yrs old) and the mother takes good care of him. My son texted my DH at 2 am last night saying he is done with everything. That is all he wrote. Panicked both of us. He then txt me the problem, which is a fine for non-appearance, a suspended license, car inspection, car insurance, and registration all of which is due by the end of the month. He txt in a panic. Made for a non-sleep night for me!

Kim in CA, I have bought a couple of stocking stuffers for next year as well so you are not alone!

Trish from Kentucky, you are an inspiration! Making the process a lifestyle change rather than calling it a diet is what I am also trying to do. I am at my highest weight ever and have to get it under control!

Back to work for me!

Thoughts, prayers, and hugs to everyone!

Rita from CT

Words for the year:
    Determination and Moderation
    January Goals:
    1. Fix TN house and sell
    2. Taxes
    3. Exercise 20 times this month
    4. Lose 5 pounds
    All to get to my year end goals of Financial stability and lose 50 pounds.
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    My mom was in better spirits than I have seen her for a long time. She actually wanted to go out to eat so we folded the wheel chair into the trunk and went to Shoney's (a buffet type restaurant). So of course I fell off track and ate too much. But, seeing her being less depressed brightened my heart as I have been praying that God would give her peace.

Hoping all of you who are feeling poorly get better quickly.
  • curator999
    curator999 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Like others, I find midlife and the I set of menopause at 53 came with a gift. An unwanted one of 35 pounds in the past 1.5 years. :(
    Just had a physical. While basically ok, I need to work on weight and blood sugar so as not to become prediabetic. And cholesterol crept up a bit, too.

I am having a stuck point on my life after a decade of non stop business activity. So suddenly motivation to exercise disappeared. Hopefully some others will help me along whilst I cheer you along.
    Goal= 125 lbs, but 130 is ok. By end of year.
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Wednesday and bit the bullet and walked 5.5 miles for 438 cals and 13561 steps. remembered to take water but had drunk the whole 500 mL 3/4 way into walk.
    BFFM lower body weights shortly.
    I had been getting up cup of tea and then doing cardio for 40 minutes before I saw Brian. He told me I was burning the glycogen in muscles and not burning body fat and told me to eat one granary toast and banana before walk. Then home for breakfast.
    Food = 1541 cals and exercise = 547 cals
    Last night BF= 44.9% muscle = 23.6%; Chrismas Eve BF = 45.2% muscle 23%. So I have lost BF and gained muscle.
    Plan next week:
    M walk 5.5 M and BFFM upper, T walk 2 M and BFFM lower, W walk 2 mile and JJ circuit A, Th walk 3.3 M and JJ circuit B, F walk 2 mile and BFFM upper, Sat wal 2 mile and BFFM lower body.
    I am doing 2 Giant sets of BFFM but when I can easily do 4 giant sets I have to alternate Wii boxing/JJ kick-boxing on JJ's circuits
    I now plan my meals after my walk and record, working for me.

Mildred beagle struggled a bit last night so Stan got up and sat with her as she sneezed. She slept really well and has had her breakfast and sleeping again on spare double bed.

Brian told me to have Ethical Nutrients Super Multi plus vitamin with breakfast and 1 Centrum 50+ vitamin with dinner. Also drink at least 2.5 litres water a day as water needed when burning fat.

I see doctor on Friday 16th january for fasting cholesterol, sugar and hormone results.(I have genetically high cholesterol diagnosed aged 21). Then see Brian for weigh in and discuss path results

Lesley in Tasmania
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good evening! We just got back from supper with the kids at Pizza Hut. I had a dry salad and two small slices of pizza from the buffet. Tonight was family buffet night. So, I didn't do too badly, but it was more salt than I'm used to.

We are going on a little day trip to the art museum in Kansas City tomorrow. That should be fun. I wanted to go to the new Ikea store too, but hubby is not in favor of that. I plugged it in to Google Maps and it gave an erroneous trip time of one day and 14 hours to go 118 miles. I thought that was funny and showed it to hubby. He said, oh, that's the route they use for husbands who don't want to go. Such a comic.

It's supposed to get down to five degrees tonight. That will be the coldest for us so far this winter. I hope you all have a great evening and stay warm!

Sylvia
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    smiley-cool05.gif Barbara from Idaho, I am so glad to see you again and hear that you are still dancing. I recently tried my hand at choreography.

smiley-happy002.gif Kim, thanks for the news about Mimi....how great that you got to spend time with her and her family.

smiley-happy005.gifCarol in NC, glad you are getting settled....your saga has reminded me of all my moves and the mixture of joy and hysteria that goes with it.

<3 Heather in Northampton, sometimes all you can do for someone with depression is to keep on with your own life and include them without getting dragged down....you didn't cause it, you can't control it, you can't cure it, but you can take care of yourself. Will your husband agree to seek professional help?

smiley-happy020.gifTrish, your success so far and your feeling that you are living a new way of life is inspirational....Perseverance is a perfect word for you

smiley-happy020.gifpeachstategal, I call my 94 year old cousin every day even though she says almost the same thing every day and whatever story I tell her, she changes the subject to how bad her life is. I understand your going to see your mom.

smiley-happy020.gifbritlw, I have two friends with fibromyalgia, one treats it with diet and exercise and lives a great life, the other takes too many pain pills, spends too much time in bed, and complains all the time.....your approach is a good one...keep coming back.

smiley-happy020.gifSue, Today is a great word....it's a bit like my word Now.

smiley-happy002.gifDiana, welcome....keep coming back and join in the conversation...this is a friendly place.

2157045gp85zev8ri.gif[/urlLesley, Brandy and Sasha send warm doggie hugs to Mildred Beagle and hope she is better soon.

smiley-happy020.gifJanet, when my husband has been to the hospital for procedures, I use the waiting time for walking. They have my cell phone number so they can call me if necessary. I never sit around when I can walk.

smiley-happy002.gif Cindy in OK, I hope you'll come back regularly

smiley-happy002.gif Katla, congrats on quitting alcohol..

smiley-happy002.gifDiana, I love the declutter challenge

smiley-laughing001.gifSylvia, I loved your joke.

smiley-chores002.gif 19,000 steps today even with a visit from a friend and lots of paperwork....fortunately no rain.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif smiley-happy093.gif

My quote for 2015 (and the last five years)---The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.
    My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future

January Resolutions
    *walk 18,500 steps a day
    *strength training twice a week smiley-sport017.gif
    *review our will and documents of personal information
    *don't expect praise or recognition
    *learn and teach two new dances253149qtzkf0ld22.gif

146200.png
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,701 Member
    Options
    my stats for the day: that expresso trail just about killed me. if anyone of you have done one and had to try to beat your own ghost, you'll know what i mean:
    Ride hm 2 gym- 11.55min 14.9amph 3mi
    expresso bike trail-challenging- oh mamma- 36.37min, 122aw, 12.9amph, 7.87mi *beat last time by 20sec.
    ride gym 2 dome- 7.24min 11.4amph 1.4mi
    ride dome 2 hm- 18.03min 9.1amph 2.7mi
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    WELCOME to all of the new ladies.
    Lesley - a while back you mentioned having sardines for lunch. I eat sardines 2-3 times a week for lunch for good protein and healthy fats. Sometimes I crave them. I'm glad Mildred is better

Viv and Joyce -so sorry your little ones are sick.

Janet - congrats on reducing your medicine

Sylvia - I knew your area was known for coal mining but I didn't know the story about the gorillas. So glad you are feeling better.

Still on our goofy schedule. My husband is filling in for a man in the office who had surgery. We had hoped he would be back tomorrow but now the guy has an infected wound so DH will continue on days for now. I just have to develop more discipline to follow a better schedule for myself.

Some of you have listed specifics about your workouts so I thought I would let you know about my water workouts. When I do a class, I follow what the instructor has us do(usually Mon., Tues., Thurs.), but at least 3 times a week I do a 70 minute independent workout. 5 min warm-up water walking, knee lifts and butt kicks; 10-15 min running forward and backward in the water (about 30' up and back); 10 min. running in place - reg speed (4/4time) and double time (2/4 time) alternating for 1 minute at a time with football jogging 1 minute intervals, too; 10 minutes of ab work (suspended in the water);10 -15 min. jumping jacks and cross country skiing or jump forward/back, side to side (alternating 1 minute intervals 4/4 and 2/4 time); 10 min. bicycling in the water; 10 minutes of weights; 10 minutes of leg work

I almost always go 6 days a week, sometimes 7. With the holidays, I have missed a few times. Some of the new people have mentioned back trouble. This is why I work out in the water. You can use the resistance of the water but you are supported by it too. A quirky knee also keeps me from exercising much "on land".
    My doctor put me on a 1200 cal. diet. with carbs under 150 and protein at 60 grams per day (also watch sodium) I try to eat relatively "clean". Eat out 1-2 times a month. I usually try not to eat more than 100 of my exercise calories but occasionally I do more. On Mon. I have a "treat" or bigger meal especially if I have been craving something. I think my Mondays have slowed down my weight loss. I have lost about 25 lbs since June.

Well, that was probably more than anyone wanted to know but maybe some newbies can benefit.

I enjoy all of the post so much. You all help me stay on track. One of my Jan. goals is to express more gratitude. Today I am grateful for all of you.

STAY WARM
    Toni in soon to be in the single digits, TN
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Holy cats ladies! I was behind 4 pages and can't respond to all. We are in the serious deep freeze now with wind chills tomorrow morning of -30, so schools have been cancelled. Wish they'd cancel college too LOL! I've been frustrated and irritated at work, so have not done well with food. I'm stress eating which is unusual but I also feel just starved! Welcome to all the new ladies. Keep coming back! Take care all. I hope to respond individually tomorrow. Meg from frozen Omaha
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    britlw, I would be interested in this diet for fibromyalgia. My sister has it and is on so much medicine whether it is for her bowels or pain or sleep.
    Sylvia, you just tell those little girls that they can be anything they want to be. Just watching and being part of your weight loss journey and watching their Dad struggle will help them gain strength.
    Meg, we aren't as cold as you guys but starting tomorrow we are in a big freeze. It's really cold for us when we get under 0

Speaking of sister, I had to take her to get her back nerve injection today. Several months ago she was really wanting some kind of a tablet to keep in touch with her daughter and a favorite cousin. Her husband found one t hat he could order through work and get it whole sale at a wonderful price. But then he had to get some pretty expensive dental work done and they put the tablet on hold. Well one of the Thanksgiving sales was a 7 inch RCA tablet that my son in law was getting for their girls. I told my brother in law about it and he also bought one. I am so, so sorry I told him about it. After we got home from the nerve injection she had me help her learn some things. This tablet is terrible. The brightness and clarity is awful. There are some of the face book functions I can't even find. That was the rule about her getting a tablet, her privacy on it had to be very strict. I have a sister in law that plays many games and I can't figure out how to block those games. She is just like our Mom, very electronically challenged. I thought I was until I saw her working. I am trying to be a good girl with my candy I got in my stocking but it's hard. I have my annual physical Thursday and I want my weight to be at least the same as it was in October. I know it won't be better.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kim: All the credit for learning about the importance of sleep is divided between the teacher and the learner. You were the teacher and you still have my thanks. I am responsible for doing the right thing if I know about it, and you’re the one who helped me understand and know about it. So, thank you again and again. :flowerforyou:

Heather: Congratulations on your typing and creation of good new habits. I’m preparing a freezer dinner tonight, too. In my case, it is turkey soup. I’m also working on another sourdough bread. This one will just have white flour. It is moving toward volcanic. :flowerforyou:

Jane: Hugs to you. :heart:

Lesley in Tasmania: I also take one Women’s Centrum Silver daily, along with two Citracal plus Vitamin D3 for women in the morning and the Citracal again in the evening. It seems to be keeping osteoporosis at bay and is helpful to me in the fight against depression. :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: Stay warm. It isn’t extremely cold here, but we have an air inversion with fog trapped at the ground. The air quality goes down every day until something flushes the trapped air away. :flowerforyou:

It was a sad morning for me because there was no yoga class. The new teacher will not be starting until February. I’ve been planning to join a gym in the neighboring town and will stop in later in the week. The first of the year at the gyms around here is unpleasantly crowded with folks who are working on New Year’s Resolutions. They’re usually gone within a month.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    v9sa7ptj5fq9.jpg
    51tu59sbdms8.jpg
    Good Evening Friends,
    welcome.gif Newcomers. Glad to see others are finding us. We missed you.

talk.gif

Heather thanks for the book recommendation. I am looking into it. Buying foods that are good quality fermented foods is expensive. It would be great to start making my own. My sauerkraut did nto turn out and I have not had a chance to try it again.
    We are in the deep freeze here too. Still it is not as bad compared to last year when it was this cold and we had a ton of snow to deal with too.

Spent the day making a calendar for my mom from some of my pictures. I did learn how to scan old pictures and get them into my picture folder. There was something called output on the scanner page. It took me forever to figure I had to click on that and change the pictures to jpeg and then remember to select a folder that was in my pictures program. I wish they gave better instructions. :grumble: My mom just went into a nursing home and I hope the calendar will make a nice gift for her.

2014 word: Strength
    2015 Quote: Just because I see the hook does not mean I have to bite.

rose.gifMNMargaret

Picture is of my great niece. I included this picture in the calendar. There seems to be something on her eyebrow. It is from the photo.
    I added one of her brother and father from Halloween. It too was part of the calendar. I wanted to see if there was that same flaw.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Good eve. Meant to read all posts,but after 10 pages,it's nearly 10 pm & bedtime. Will try to catch up tomorrow. Have the broth & spices in slo cooker for over night on low.It's soup weather for sure!

"Gratitude for the Past - Strength for the Present - Faith for the Future". Patceoh