How did you all fair over the festive period?

Options

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I gained back everything I lost this year since beginning with MFP. It crept back over the holidays, and then hubby and I went to Portland, Maine for 3 days which is full of great bars and restaurants. We had a wonderful time, but unfortunately I am very discouraged that I undid all the progress I had worked so hard for. I also have a check-up on Tuesday, so my doctor is not going to be very happy to see the weight gain. I'm still trying to figure out whether to post my gain on MFP so that it will make me feel ashamed enough to get back on track.

Aww bless! Don't be disheartened! Get back on the wagon again and you'll likely find its mostly water weight.
    Don't give up whatever you do ok :smile:
    for me I only post gain when I know I've been up consistently for a few weeks, no point lying to yourself :neutral_face:
  • DaFibble
    DaFibble Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I didn't track at all and was eating a lot of rich food and drinking a lot. Weirdly I stayed the same weight over that period, even lost a tiny bit. Thinking severe hangovers, partying hard and cold bugs might burn calories? Mysterious.
  • Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    ^^THIS - Didn't log, ate and drank what I wanted, didn't lift, lost a couple of pounds. On returning to weights I 'gained' what I can only assume is water weight straight back!
  • pocketrocket42
    pocketrocket42 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty bummed; I gained about 5 pounds. :(
  • drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Oh for heavens sake--I didn't exercise for the two weeks I was off school and I ate a lot of goodies. Gained 5 pounds since November 30. Tomorrow--back to the routine. I already made my lunch and cut up my snack veggies. I do SO much better on a routine.
  • pocketrocket42
    pocketrocket42 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I find routine helps me a lot too.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    drabbits3 wrote: »
    Oh for heavens sake--I didn't exercise for the two weeks I was off school and I ate a lot of goodies. Gained 5 pounds since November 30. Tomorrow--back to the routine. I already made my lunch and cut up my snack veggies. I do SO much better on a routine.

being back to routine is best, its where I'm happiest (despite having to get up early again!)
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I didn't log anything really once December started right up until new year had been and gone. I ate what I wanted when I wanted it & that included plenty of second helpings, chocolates and plenty of other stuff I usually eat a lot more moderately but equally included plenty of days I actively wanted to eat nothing but soup and bread rolls & was grateful of a pause in the over indulgence. Had an awesome month not just Christmas and enjoyed the break from logging. Gained 1lb. Now back to normal and logging again as I know my macros were all over the place without MFP but pretty pleased that macros aside, I seem to be able to maintain fairly well on my own.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    Logged every day, and today, on official back to work day - I am one pound under my goal weight. Did eat cake at a wedding, and various small treats throughout the holidays! Working with a new fitness tracker (lumo) which is helping tremendously with my posture, but showing my steps much lower than a wrist fitbit.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    misschoppo wrote: »
    I didn't log anything really once December started right up until new year had been and gone. I ate what I wanted when I wanted it & that included plenty of second helpings, chocolates and plenty of other stuff I usually eat a lot more moderately but equally included plenty of days I actively wanted to eat nothing but soup and bread rolls & was grateful of a pause in the over indulgence. Had an awesome month not just Christmas and enjoyed the break from logging. Gained 1lb. Now back to normal and logging again as I know my macros were all over the place without MFP but pretty pleased that macros aside, I seem to be able to maintain fairly well on my own.

great job :smile: isn't it great to know that you can maintain on your own.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    pkw58 wrote: »
    Logged every day, and today, on official back to work day - I am one pound under my goal weight. Did eat cake at a wedding, and various small treats throughout the holidays! Working with a new fitness tracker (lumo) which is helping tremendously with my posture, but showing my steps much lower than a wrist fitbit.

woohoo for being 1lb under! You did great :) I love having a tracker too, my Fitbit is currently out of action but new one due to be delivered today :-D I have been using my phone with a tracker app and I've been finding the steps count lower, just means I have to move more. I think Fitbit has a habit of counting higher steps with wrist action, and we move our hands alot. But I do like it generally as it keeps me moving :smile:
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I over ate and didn't log it all.. also didn't go to gym for a whole week. but it seems I didn't gain anything! :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    I over ate and didn't log it all.. also didn't go to gym for a whole week. but it seems I didn't gain anything! :smile:

well done :)
  • Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I Step on the scale tomorrow, and I'm going to be honest.... I'm not feeling good about it. I'm really scared but that's why I'm here. Cause I know whether good or bad, you guys will support me and you'll keep encouraging me andddd reminding me that its the HOLIDAYS and now u just get back on traccckkk and keep working toward my goal!
  • Maries_wine_calories
    Options
    Penny5518 wrote: »
    I ate probably 10000-12000 calories more than my maintenance over the whole period....and ended up losing a pound. I don't understand my body but I'm not going to question it!

Exactly the same scenario for me!
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I seem to have gained 4.5 pounds after not logging at all for most of December and working out less due to an injured shoulder. I'm guessing some of it's water (especially considering the ToM) and some is "real." Going to do one week at maintenance, which should let me know how much I've really gained, and then attack if necessary.
  • Dallas97701
    Dallas97701 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm pleasantly surprised. Only gained a couple of pounds since Oct. 1st. That's the day our local dairy puts its Egg Nog on the store shelves. Killer stuff. Kills your diet, your waistline, your scales...even kills all hopes of MyFitnesspal.com until Jan.2...for me at least. This morning it is back to work sans Egg Nog and a bright future!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I gained a couple of pounds, but I'm philosophical about it. The pounds will come off quickly now I'm back to my usual routine. This was my first Holidays since losing the weight by end Sept, so it was really one for learning what does and what doesn't work for me.

Not logging over Thanksgiving worked (1-2 days), not logging/staying within calories over Christmas/New Year didn't work (2 weeks). Making homemade goodies was fine, but smaller batch sizes next time. Bought-in goodies generally was OK with one or two exceptions, but again, just buy smaller quantities next time. Instead of having candy laying around, I made up candy bags for everyone on Christmas Day, with everything shared out, so everyone can eat their candy when they want (DH scarfed most of it within a week, DD and I have hardly started ours and will space it out). Exercise was just fine, but then I've always done that over the Holidays or vacation.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I overate a lot on Christmas, & didn't care! I had a lot of sugar cookies, two huge bowls of dirt dessert, & some Pumpkin Roll. I weighed myself the next day & it said I had gained ten pounds (147.5 to 157). Some of it was from overindulging, sodium, & TOM. I weighed myself today & I'm at 151.5 which is fine by me.
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I didn't really log, but I think I might have put on 2lbs. 2lbs heavier than my current lightest so I'll see over the next few weeks. I don't think it's too bad seeing as though I ate horribly on some days.