January 2015 - No Alcohol Challenge!

Options

Replies

• jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Alcohol goes with crisps and junk food, and hangovers go with full-fat Coke and junk food. I've been off since NY, and am also keeping an eye on how much money I save... :)

yes money is added bonus!
  • mtnstar
    mtnstar Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I've committed to no alcohol for 3 months. I'm less concerned about calories than just feeling like having a couple of drinks at night is just sapping my motivation and overall energy. So far I feel great!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I've been substituting my "treat" of a cocktail or glass of wine with a vow to do something creative every evening. Instead of sitting down at the computer with a drink, I've been knitting, sewing, spinning, painting....and, honestly, it's been fabulous. I feel a little boost physically, but mentally it's a HUGE plus. Thanks for starting the group motivation!
  • breathebelievejen
    breathebelievejen Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm in too :) I've had some really messy weekends and I need to curb the drinking for my sanity [and my partner's more so!].
  • andreasoulcastle
    andreasoulcastle Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    i'm late joining but this sounds like something I should do
  • Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I started doing this on my own and made it my January challenge!
  • Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    super happy to have all the supporters and joiners :)
  • Bustergirl14
    Bustergirl14 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I just started the 17 Day Diet and there is no alcohol in the first phase or the second phase so that should see me through January.
  • johnsont2587
    johnsont2587 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am in. It will be a definite challenge in a few weeks when friends come into town. Like another post said, once you see the calorie count of alcohol, it puts it all into perspective!
  • caddir
    caddir Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Good to see so many people on this.

So far it is fine, I'm not even missing it yet.
  • mamameg312
    mamameg312 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm in on this challenge! I will likely still have a little wine on the weekends as part of my weekend "lite" program, but I do so much better when it's not a regular thing. I tend to try to keep to a No Eating After Dinner and excluding alcohol makes that soooo much easier.

My biggest challenge with cutting out alcohol is actually working to NOT replace it with food. I have a habit of having a glass of wine while I cook and w/o that, sometimes I look for something else to replace it with, such as chips. NO! So far, I'm making sure I have a big glass of water before I start cooking, and then refill it and sip as I am cooking.
  • BikiniBride20
    BikiniBride20 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    yep husband and I are doing the month also. So far quite easy but its the organised nights out that will be hard...
  • momof2boyz832
    momof2boyz832 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I am in! (I guess a little late is better than never)
    I have managed to cut back to a bottle of wine on the weekends ( I would love to have a glass while making supper, in the tub, watching TV )but this month I am cutting it out all together. It is going to be a challenge but should boost any weight loss.
  • bsminplano
    bsminplano Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Count me in, also. I am trying to go 100 days, in fact. Problem is, I never have just 1...and then there goes the discipline, etc...
  • caddir
    caddir Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I was doing OK until last night when my beloved added 50mg of red wine to the spaghetti bolognaise sauce. He said thattthe alcohol would burn out, and while I know that is true, I would rather he hadn't. I did refuse the glass of wine he offered to go with dinner, though.

Apart from that I'm doing fine.
  • JohnH71
    JohnH71 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Four days in for me, and I would usually have had a few down the pub on at least one of those days, and I haven't missed it at all. Tomorrow night will be the big test for me, but I don't feel I am 'abstaining' from anything, so I've high hopes.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I'm a little late to the party, but I'd like to join this. My husband is in a band that plays in bars pretty often, and i am fully aware that this is the biggest reason my weight loss has slowed so drastically over the last couple months. (And holidays, haha).

My goal is actually to make it to Valentine's day without alcohol. I guess I'll see how that goes :p
  • sfonda927
    Options
    Been off alcohol so far this month, so I'm in! It's part of the reason I've gained 15lbs the past year. When I've always been trying to lose that last 5!
  • meeganbrett
    meeganbrett Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 5 already. How is everyone else doing? I think weekends will be harder, I am trying to think of alternatives too. maybe yoga on a friday evening? ha.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I've been alcohol-free for 21, going on 22, years. Every month is no- alcohol month for me ;)