January 2015 - No Alcohol Challenge!

Options

Replies

• Peacefulhooligan
    Peacefulhooligan Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am sure this is a big factor in why I have lost 16lbs in 3 weeks, due to giving up alcohol for January. Although I have a box of Coors in the front porch from Christmas and it kept calling, I put the dogs blanket over it and now I forget its there. Good luck and keep going people
  • meeganbrett
    meeganbrett Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Day 19 here! Love my red wine too, this has been a big challenge for me, I drink every weekend as well. I have lost a few lbs and I know it's because of the drinking for the most part. Great job everyone!!
  • mariamathsgeek
    mariamathsgeek Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    tattflash wrote: »
    I am sure this is a big factor in why I have lost 16lbs in 3 weeks, due to giving up alcohol for January. Although I have a box of Coors in the front porch from Christmas and it kept calling, I put the dogs blanket over it and now I forget its there. Good luck and keep going people

Wow!!! 16lbs in 3 weeks? That's awesome! Well done. I've lost 9.5lbs in 3 weeks and am delighted!!! I am also convinced it's all to do with giving up the booze. The wine cals are one thing but after 3 glasses of wine I get the late night munchies and only carbs smothered in fat will do....chips (French fries) with melted cheese & mayo or cheese on toast or I have been known to rustle up a bit of pasta tossed in butter and covered in cheese. So the booze offers a double whammy - empty calories then late night carb/fat calories on top of a days food. No wonder the weight is dropping off now!!!

How's everyone else doing? Hope you are all getting the results you want.
  • clairlita
    clairlita Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    22 days here. I've found no alcoholic beer to be a good replacement some weekends. Becks blue is the best if you're in the UK. It's weird what alcohol can connote to you... Just one sip of something that TASTES like beer (but isn't) and my body reacts like "oh, so I can relax now?" It's weird.

Doing a vegan January too so there's a double challenge!
  • Peacefulhooligan
    Options
    tattflash wrote: »

Wow!!! 16lbs in 3 weeks? That's awesome! Well done. I've lost 9.5lbs in 3 weeks and am delighted!!! I am also convinced it's all to do with giving up the booze. The wine cals are one thing but after 3 glasses of wine I get the late night munchies and only carbs smothered in fat will do....chips (French fries) with melted cheese & mayo or cheese on toast or I have been known to rustle up a bit of pasta tossed in butter and covered in cheese. So the booze offers a double whammy - empty calories then late night carb/fat calories on top of a days food. No wonder the weight is dropping off now!!!

How's everyone else doing? Hope you are all getting the results you want.

Well done Maria, keep up the hard work, it will be worth it, the funny thing is I havent found it as hard as I thought I would :)

• mariamathsgeek
    Options
    Day 23: Friday - the hardest day! This is our 4th alcohol free Friday. Good Luck everyone!
  • meeganbrett
    Options
    I'm only on day 20, because I started the 4th, but agree Fridays are the hardest day. I'm going out to dinner tonight and going to order a soda water (no calories but fizzy with a lime). I got this, right???
  • lizfiz50
    lizfiz50 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink alcohol now and I'm still having a hard time losing weight... I need a month free of sweets and bread more like it.
  • notcorky
    notcorky Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Still alcohol free! This is Day 19, going into my third weekend alcohol free. Whew! This is definitely unchartered territory for me. I can honestly say I have no idea when the last time I went this long in between having a drink.
  • gemm30
    gemm30 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am generally a wow it's been a hard day at work ill will have 1,2,3 large glasses of wine girl, but this yr I decided one to stay in and not go out partying New Year's Eve which resulted in me not drinking at all and then have just carried on, I have more energy for the gym more money in my purse and a massive feeling of pride in myself.
  • JohnH71
    JohnH71 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Day 18 for me, and my third Friday. Still getting my mates texting me photo's of the guest beer at my local pub, but I'm not tempted. I don't think I've been this long without any beer whatsoever since I started drinking the stuff ~ I've had periods where I've cut down to a few pints a week, but never total abstinence. I'm seriously considering extending it a bit.
  • gemm30
    gemm30 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    JohnH71 wrote: »
    Day 18 for me, and my third Friday. Still getting my mates texting me photo's of the guest beer at my local pub, but I'm not tempted. I don't think I've been this long without any beer whatsoever since I started drinking the stuff ~ I've had periods where I've cut down to a few pints a week, but never total abstinence. I'm seriously considering extending it a bit.

Ha ha literally just got a text off my friends who have gone away for the weekend with a bottle of wine in the pic. I sent one back of some paracetamol and happy hangover.
  • JohnH71
    Options
    lol, that is class. Wish I had thought of that, I might have to steal your idea! :smiley:
  • sassaparker2015
    Options
    I have 3 teenage boys & work hard. I REALLY enjoy being able to come home from stressful days, send boys off, put my feet up and enjoy my cocktail hr! I do however know this does effect my weight loss
  • mariamathsgeek
    Options
    Day 25: Still staying strong!!! I've been very grumpy with PMT/period pain for the last few days and have had dreadful cravings but I didn't cave. Feeling very proud to have got through 4 Fridays and Saturdays without booze.....first time in ages (probably since pregnancy!). I know that may be quite shocking for people who can take or leave alcohol but for those of us who really like a drink (or 3) it's a real achievement. I could never be tee total for life because I just really love red wine....but I am glad that I have taken this month to re-set and given my body a break from it and perhaps loosen the emotional ties that I have to it.

I could happily go through the rest of my life without chocolate, cakes, biscuits, crisps, cheese, bread and all the other food that some people find difficult to give up but not without red wine.

How's everyone else doing?
  • momof2boyz832
    momof2boyz832 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Well, another weekend is almost over and again I found myself with a glass of pinot grigio in my hand after supper last night. Still an improvement.. I nursed it all night and it was budgeted for in my calorie allowance. I am trying not to feel guilty about it but reality is if I can do it forever it is not going to work. I cannot and will not go without indulging in a glass of wine every once in a while..
    Here is to another week....
  • meeganbrett
    Options
    I'm on day 22 today. My husband had wine last night with his filet mignon (we bbq'd). Very tough. He said he wouldn't do that again as wine is my thing. Beer/liquor is not nearly as hard. Feeling great physically! Ran 9 miles yesterday and felt fab.
  • kiwi1003
    kiwi1003 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It struck me today that we are almost to the end! It has really flown by, and I've actually enjoyed it! Don't get me wrong, I'm totally gonna have a glass of wine on February 1st, but I'm so happy (and kind of proud of me!) that we've done this for a whole month!
  • JohnH71
    Options
    Another weekend gone, and still dry. I was moaning to my cycling partner that I didn't feel any different fitness wise, and he was just chuckling away. Eventually, he said 'you do realise we've done the last 15 miles 19 mins faster than last time we did this route (which was just after I had started dry january)? So, what with that and my work trousers that keep threatening to fall down, I'm happy! Going to stay dry until Friday 6th (my mates birthday), then have a drink, and a review of what next. At the very most, I will only drink at weekends from now on, but I am seriously considering stopping all together. We'll see.
  • Peacefulhooligan
    Options
    The end of the tunnel is in sight just 6 more days so well done everyone who has stuck to it