January 2015 - No Alcohol Challenge!

Options

Replies

• CJ8585
    CJ8585 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    How did everyone do this weekend? Mine was a challenge because we had a girls night but I managed to stay strong and not have any alcohol. =)
  • LeelooX2014
    LeelooX2014 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I had a few on Friday, but on Sat I had one drink and it was not very exciting either day. More motivation when it isn't really even fun. What's the point. I'm hoping I can save it for special occasions for the future. Back on the wagon!
  • notcorky
    notcorky Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Still alcohol free! I have my moments when I really (and I mean REALLY, REALLY, REALLY) want a drink, but didn't. I've had two booze free weekends (and 16 days altogether), and am going for my 3rd this weekend.
  • JohnH71
    JohnH71 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Well, had my weigh in today I've lost more than I would have expected. Not sure if its that I'm staying off the booze, or the fact that I'm not in the pub so I go to the gym / for a run / bike ride, but either way I'm happy. :smiley:
  • Mauigirl62
    Options
    I fell off the wagon over the weekend. Friday night I "allowed" myself to have wine with dinner because we went out. Saturday night I didn't drink. Sunday night I caved and had a glass and a half of red wine (based on the 5 oz. serving size). I didn't feel that bad about that because I kept under my calories for the day. But Monday I blew it completely. My father-in-law came up for brunch (postponed from Sunday because of the weather) and we had waffles and mimosas. I didn't put butter or syrup on the waffles, only thawed frozen raspberries that I heated up in the microwave first to thaw them. But I also had bacon. Then since I had already blown the no-alcohol thing at breakfast I had a vodka and seltzer with lime before dinner and then went whole hog and split a bottle of red wine with my husband. Oh well, back on the wagon again today. I was good last week - three days in a row with no alcohol. Need to make it EVERY day.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    20 days checked off - strong! Honestly this is more of a staying committed to what I started challenge.

I'm thinking of continuing to do this in Feb with an exception of Valentine's Day.
  • mariamathsgeek
    mariamathsgeek Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Day 20: Still staying strong....no booze in 2015 so far. Well done everyone who has done the whole 20 days of January so far off the booze. There seems to be a few people who have slipped and there also seems to be some people who are making excuses and justifying their slips. I know how hard it is and we've all been tempted but what makes this challenge work is if everyone sticks to it and does the whole of January off the booze. We've all had *kitten* days/stress/temptations/social events/etc but some people have stayed strong and some people have caved. If you've had any alcohol in January, you are not doing a dry/sober January really, are you? You may have cut way back which is great but you've not done the whole challenge.
  • kegofstout
    kegofstout Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Well only 11 more days in January so I think I will join!!! Sure hope I can handle that haha...hopefully some of you will keep it up in February cuz I could sure use the motivation. I have a hard time turning down a cold beer after a long day at work but my gut is out of control so I need to learn how to say no :)
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Realized i haven't checked back in on here for 11 days, lol. Looks like everyone is doing a good job! As for myself, i had 1 glass of wine last week, buutttt that was all i had. So not exactly an alcohol-free month here, but very close. One drink for the month compared to the 15 or 20 throughout the month that i would usually have is a huge improvement.

Some of my co-workers and friends and my husband and i are going to a club this coming Saturday...but I'm broke, so i think it will be easy enough to avoid drinking overpriced drinks at the club :p

Good job to everyone!
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Options
    As for people justifying/making excuses for their actions in drinking alcohol this month....they came here for support. If they are struggling and they let us know they slipped up, there's no need for anyone to chastise them. Everyone is trying their best, and if they aren't, they know they aren't trying as hard as they could be, so still no need for a lecture.

So if anyone wants support regardless of any slippage, feel free to friend me. (As i just mentioned in my previous post, i did have one glass of wine last week, so not exactly alcohol-free January for me. But as i plan to continue until Valentine's day, it WILL be an entire month for me anyway). i can't even say i slipped up. i just decided i could have that one glass of wine and stop there, so i did it. no excuses needed. :)
  • mariamathsgeek
    Options
    I wasn't chastising anyone, just stating a fact. We all joined this thread for support and when people slip it makes other people feel weak and want to slip too. There are two sides to every coin. Personally, if I slipped and had a glass of wine (and believe me I've been tempted, especially last week when I had lots of stressful things happen)....anyway, if I slipped, I'd fess up, wish everyone well and leave the thread.

No alcohol January means NO ALCOHOL JANUARY not 'well I only had one glass of wine so blah, blah, blah'....we ALL need support and those who slip for whatever reason are not supporting those who are sticking to it and I find it's actually making it harder for me to do that.

I really couldn't care less if you have a glass of wine or whatever....it's your life, your liver, your body....we are all adults. But if you have had any alcohol in January 2015 then you are not doing a dry/sober January. Fact.
  • mariamathsgeek
    Options
    And while I'm on a roll with 'how to lose friends and alienate people'....what is it with people who never or rarely drink joining this challenge? If you NEVER drink anyway or only have a glass of wine a few times a year then giving up alcohol for January is not a challenge for you. You may think you are being supportive but you are not...what you are doing is being smug and mocking those of us who really need/want to do this. A challenge is something that is difficult and needs determination to accomplish....so maybe a different challenge would be better for those of you who can take or leave the booze.....no chocolate/cake/cheese/whatever your weakness is.

I know I sound a little serious and strict about this whole challenge but that's because I need to do this....my drinking has been getting gradually worse for years and it got to the stage where every stressful day saw me opening the wine....and that was often 5 or 6 days a week. Then December 2014 was a right off with barely an alcohol free day....so my husband and I decided we needed the whole of January off to re-set, give our livers a well needed break and develop a healthier attitude towards drinking.

I've been trying to lose weight for years and booze has always been my downfall....and I've used every excuse in the book to let myself off the hook for being overweight and for my bad habits. But, January 1st was a fresh start for me and I am serious about losing weight and a big part of that is this month off the booze.

So, take my comments anyway you wish but if you are not serious about this challenge or if you really don't need to do it then do the rest of us a favour and let us get on with it.
  • notcorky
    notcorky Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    ^^^ What she said. 17 days alcohol free. This is like a world record for me
  • mariamathsgeek
    Options
    Thank you, notcorky!!!! I was beginning to feel like the big bad wolf.....but I had a feeling that some people may feel the same about this challenge as I do.....and I just needed to say something.

Well done on your 17 days....I'm on day 21 and that's my longest dry period (other than during my pregnancies) for years and years....maybe even most of my adult life.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Options
    If i slipped up, I'd fess up and hop right back on the train. That's a little like saying that if you slip up and go way over on your calories one day, you'd fess up and wish everyone else well and leave mfp...it just doesn't make sense to me. Not everyone is an "all or nothing" type. Many people need support whether they slip up or not, and it's not their fault that them fessing up to having a drink makes other people feel weak.

People join this challenge for many reasons. Some because alcohol is the reason they are having trouble losing weight, some because alcohol is a serious problem or they feel it's becoming a serious problem for them...i joined because i had done it before and it helped with my weight loss, so i felt like it was time to kick it back into gear after the holidays.

But okay, I'll wish you all well and step right off this thread. Hope everything goes well for you guys.
  • melissakolpin
    melissakolpin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have recently quit drinking. I have chosen to quit for many reasons, but weight loss was/is a big motivator. I was a daily drinker. And had been for many years. Only a couple of drinks a day....but every day. Vodka and water and Mio was my favorite, because it's so low in calories. However, after one drink, I was a little bit less accountable. After 2 drinks, I didn't have an accountable bone in my body. :D I haven't had a drink in 2and 1/2 weeks and I feel great. AND...with only a small amount of exercise and staying within my calories... I've dropped 5 lbs. Good luck to everyone!!

PS... looking for new friends with similar goals. Feel free to add me.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying it, but I always find it rather alarming when people cannot manage a month without drinking.
  • mariamathsgeek
    Options
    I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying it, but I always find it rather alarming when people cannot manage a month without drinking.

I agree....and that's why I am doing this. I don't want to be the type of person who can't go without booze for a month....but the fact is that I was that person. I like red wine...in fact, I love it! But, I don't want to slip into alcoholism then have to join AA and give up for life simply because I can't go a month/week/day without it. It's a slippery slope. And that's why I'm being so strict with myself....and maybe I've been a bit harsh on those who have slipped up.
  • CJ8585
    CJ8585 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I always liked the quote "shoot for the moon. If you miss, you'll still land in the stars". I have been strict with myself and not had any alcohol all January so far which was extremely hard for me because I have social drinks every weekend. Soo happy for the other people who have been staying completely alcohol free for January and for those that have slipped up, hopefully it is still a lot less than you would normally have so that is great too. Let's try to get to the end of this month with nooo booooze!!!! =)
  • mariamathsgeek
    Options
    Yup, lets do this!!!