January 2015 - No Alcohol Challenge!

Options

Replies

• Diana_Morrissey
    Diana_Morrissey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Late to the party but I am in! I began on the 12th and so far so good. Husband is doing it with me and I plan to be booze free until the end of April. I'm also eating clean, logging my food here daily. I have 35lbs to shed. Ugh! But I know I can do it. Keep it up everyone!
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I cut it out during the week, it makes a huge difference.
  • Troy56401
    Troy56401 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is a big part of the reason I can not lose weight. I am a heavy drinker when I do and do not move around a lot for a few days after. My last day for any cocktails was January 2nd. Feeling way better physically and about myself. Need to lose around 80lbs. I know MFP works. I have used it in the past. When I drink I put MFP off to the side. Friend me and lets keep each other on track!
  • caddir
    caddir Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm not even missing the drink - but I think hubby is because now the wine goes off before he can drink it, lol. I noticed he has cut down too. One thing it's sure, when I do start again, we won't be drinking as much or as often
  • alaskanb0y06
    Options
    I recently quit drinking too, mostly because I couldn't have just one! Best of luck for everyone trying to stay dry! It's not always easy especially when that's all your friends do... Glad to see there's others going through this as well! (Not that I enjoy your pain)
  • JohnH71
    JohnH71 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Working till late last night, out of bed at the crack of dawn today, 170 mile drive, couple of hours work and 170 miles home.

Boy was I GASPING for a beer when I got home today. Usually, I would go to the gym to take my mind off it (was nearly closed, not worth it) or go for a bike ride / run (howling wind and rain. No thanks).

Nearly cracked, but I didn't. Once I had prepared and cooked my dinner, it had passed and I was fine. Phew!

Quite pleased with myself. :smiley:

• meeganbrett
    meeganbrett Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Day 14 for me. Great challenge! I have lost 2.2 pounds in two wee k s. Yes not impressive but feel great too. I am gonna do it but weekends are hard.
  • karpuz12369
    Options
    CJ8585 wrote: »
    I very much enjoy having drinks with my friends on the weekends. As much as I don't want to believe it, I know that it is a big reason why I am having trouble with weight loss. I wanted to try going without any alcohol for the month of January to see how much it actually contributes. Does anyone want to do this challenge with me? We can check in with each other on Mondays (after getting through the tough part - the weekends).
    Thanks,
    CJ

• karpuz12369
    Options
    Can I join please, alcohol is the reason I can't lose weight, I have a stressful job and grab a bottle of wine after work 2 days a week
  • mmmprincessmmm
    Options
    Dry jan so far so good. And even at work awards do didn't during and managed to have a good boogie. Less than couple of weeks left
  • julia_808
    julia_808 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I have seen this thread but I have not had a drink since New Year's Eve. Luckily it was a glass of Dom so it was a good note to go out on! I'm a regular drinker but I've cut back a lot since I have been logging. I am also a bartender and we get a free drink (whatever we want) at the end of each shift so it has definitely been a challenge giving that up when I have gotten accustomed to looking forward to it, sort of a carrot dangling at the end of a busy shift. It definitely got easier after the first week or so and tomorrow is Day 18! I still plan on making it to the end of the month but Feb 1st is my anniversary and we are flying to another island for a few days to celebrate and catch up with friends so I do plan on having a few that week, probably with a VERY low tolerance, haha! :)
  • mariamathsgeek
    mariamathsgeek Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Day 18: Feeling great!!!! So that's 3 Fridays/Saturdays of no booze! Hurray!!!! We are over half way through now too!

I think I'm going to keep going until Valentine's Day (it's a Saturday) and get a REALLY good bottle of red wine to savour that evening over a delicious dinner.

Who's in?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I don't drink enough for it to matter (maybe half a dozen glasses of wine a year), but I wish you all good luck in your endeavors! (*)
  • xXBabyBelleXx
    xXBabyBelleXx Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Day 18: Feeling great!!!! So that's 3 Fridays/Saturdays of no booze! Hurray!!!! We are over half way through now too!

I think I'm going to keep going until Valentine's Day (it's a Saturday) and get a REALLY good bottle of red wine to savour that evening over a delicious dinner.

Who's in?

Count me in! Dry January has made me realise that I don't need to drink so much, so I have decided to only have alcohol on special occasions or when out with friends/work colleagues. :smile:

• lindzmo30
    lindzmo30 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm in x
  • marie3221
    marie3221 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    14 days and no alcohol. Weekends are hard! Down 5lbs. Going to try for a total of 90 days.
  • markberry999
    markberry999 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to fight the booze, I could use some friends trying to do the same and help hold me accountable. Add me.
  • decoratinganne
    Options
    I guess by default I'm in since I've been sober for more than a year. Here's a few tips for removing alcohol from your routine. Be careful that you don't swap Sodas for booze. If the goal is a healthy lifestyle, then the sodas can bring in extra unwanted calories and carbs. I've never been a fan of no calorie sodas.....I figure water is a better choice. Depending on the amount of alcohol your body was accustomed to, you may find yourself craving sweets. If this is the case, treat yourself to some more fruit. I like dried apricots, dates and prunes for a jolt of natural sugar when needed. Many people will increase their intake of caffeine when eliminating alcohol. This can be an issue if your coffee is laden end with cream and sugar. Try swapping your coffee for a herbal tea or mineral water. By trial and error, I have found a lovely sparkling apple cider produced by a local orchard. My husband and I have bought a case and keep it stored in our cellar. For those special evenings together, or when we are entertaining we splurge by opening a bottle. My suggestion is to find something which is your "go to" treat.
    Sometimes changing your daily routine and social groups become necessary when removing alcohol from your lifestyle. If having a glass (or two) of wine was your way of unwinding after a day at the office, try swapping that behaviour for an extra few minutes of Yoga, meditation, take a walk, play tag with the kids.
  • peagem67
    Options
    I'm in!
  • momof2boyz832
    momof2boyz832 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I had posted last week that this weekend past was going to be a difficult one due to a social event. On one hand I was disappointed with myself. I ordered a glass of wine with supper. On the other hand, I was satisfied with it only being one glass of wine to four glasses of water. The wine really did not taste spectacular. I caught myself justifying the drink by saying I had just worked out and actually did more than my usual workout, not to mention the 'crappy' week at work. The remainder of the month will be great!