Food and Parenting

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I mean to offend no one. I'm just saying I personally would not feed that stuff to my children even with a balanced diet. If they want a
    cookie I will make them from stratch instead of buying the ones that come in a box is all I am saying

You may not want to feed that to your kids, but do not try to pass judgement on others for what they do - especially when you have done nothing to support your indignation or other assertions and do not know the individual circumstances.
  • skirch01
    skirch01 Posts: 6
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I agree with you, OP, and am very surprised at the hostile responses you have received. And I am a parent. I am trying to cook more and buy less processed foods, for the very reasons you mentioned.

I have also read here and there about predictions that this generation will have a shorter lifespan. A google search turned up many articles about this, here is one:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/17/health/17obese.html

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for data that indicates "this generation" (whatever that means) is going to have a shorter life span...

I have read that - but it was in relation to kids today not doing enough exercise so they would have a shorter life span.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    skirch01 wrote: »
    I agree with you, OP, and am very surprised at the hostile responses you have received. And I am a parent. I am trying to cook more and buy less processed foods, for the very reasons you mentioned.

Hostile? Which responses were hostile?

Asking someone to substantiate their claims is not being hostile.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I was over at a friend's one day a year or two ago, and I noticed that she gave her 2 year old a microwaved frozen dinner consisting of chicken fingers and fries. I didn't say anything to her, but later I was at my Mom's and I said something like "How can she give such a young child food that is so terrible for her?!" My Mom, wisely, said never to judge until you have kids of your own... then you will get it. I'm sure she is right. It is hard for me to see two obese parents feeding their child food that might make her overweight too someday, but you know what... it's none of my business.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    I'm still waiting for data that indicates "this generation" (whatever that means) is going to have a shorter life span...

I have read that - but it was in relation to kids today not doing enough exercise so they would have a shorter life span.

I think it's fair to say that kids aren't as active today...but I doubt there is data forecasting life spans for "kids today." Again, what does that even mean? Are we talking Millennials? Children of Millennials?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I was over at a friend's one day a year or two ago, and I noticed that she gave her 2 year old a microwaved frozen dinner consisting of chicken fingers and fries. I didn't say anything to her, but later I was at my Mom's and I said something like "How can she give such a young child food that is so terrible for her?!" My Mom, wisely, said never to judge until you have kids of your own... then you will get it. I'm sure she is right. It is hard for me to see two obese parents feeding their child food that might make her overweight too someday, but you know what... it's none of my business.

You should have just stopped at "I'm sure she is right". Was with you til then.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Which particular reply did you find hostile?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I think it's fair to say that kids aren't as active today...but I doubt there is data forecasting life spans for "kids today." Again, what does that even mean? Are we talking Millennials? Children of Millennials?

I read it in a quote from Sebastian Coe, so I don't know where he got it from. I don't know what a millennial is I'm afraid.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I mean to offend no one. I'm just saying I personally would not feed that stuff to my children even with a balanced diet. If they want a
    cookie I will make them from stratch instead of buying the ones that come in a box is all I am saying

I love the declarations of non-parents about how they will parent. It's adorable.

Yep.

To answer, I feed my 3 kids a mostly unprocessed vegan diet (on @$70 a week) yet, I buy them Oreos (on noes!) For their school lunches, because THEY LIKE THEM! I don't want my kids growing up thinking that treats are bad, because they aren't. I want them to have a healthy relationship with food, and I allow them to make choices. More often than not they chose fruit over cookies. But neither is bad.

And when you have 3 kids and work full time, or even have your hands full as a stay at home mom, sometimes, you are going to pick a store bought treat over all homemade 'unprocessed' version. Because you're tired, you need a break, it's easier. Don't demonize parents that make that choice.
    You really don't know until you've been there.

• PRMinx
    Options

I read it in a quote from Sebastian Coe, so I don't know where he got it from. I don't know what a millennial is I'm afraid.

Millennials/Gen Y - born between 1980 and 2000's. Millennials are just starting to have kids now, so I doubt there is sufficient data on their activity levels, health or life span. I think the idea that you can forecast life span at all is pretty bunk.

• Sarauk2sf
    Options

Chicken fingers and fries may make them overweight but a highly caloric meal that is not 'processed' will not?

• Sarauk2sf
    Options

Hostile? Which responses were hostile?

Asking someone to substantiate their claims is not being hostile.

Unless hostile = do not agree with now.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Because one frozen meal is going to make kids fat.

Ok then. I guess that's why I was fat, lol.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    It's not food... It's artificial chemicals and highly processed crap that kills, which is why this current generation is said to have a shorter life span than there parents. What I mean by a diverse diet is a diet with real food... fruits, vegetables, etc.

It IS food. You can hold any belief you want but the fact is that you can survive entirely on processed foods. You get nutrients from it and those nutrients are utilized.

Do you have any evidence that our life spans are getting shorter? I'd love to see that.

Finally, if you have concerns about specific "chemicals", then which ones are you concerned with?

I mean to offend no one. I fully understand what it's like to grow up and all that was there was highly processed crap because my parents were not properly educated when it comes to nutrition and had the mindset they did not have the money to buy real food. It is possible to eat healthy on a budget but its not easy which I am aware of.

That depends on your budget and the size of your family.

This, and I would also add location. There are areas in the US that simply do not have the access to fresh food that most of us take for granted.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

Chicken fingers and fries may make them overweight but a highly caloric meal that is not 'processed' will not?

Not at all. In fact, highly caloric meals that are not processed is what made ME fat. My point above was that it's easy to judge, and I was wrong to do so.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    I was over at a friend's one day a year or two ago, and I noticed that she gave her 2 year old a microwaved frozen dinner consisting of chicken fingers and fries. I didn't say anything to her, but later I was at my Mom's and I said something like "How can she give such a young child food that is so terrible for her?!" My Mom, wisely, said never to judge until you have kids of your own... then you will get it. I'm sure she is right. It is hard for me to see two obese parents feeding their child food that might make her overweight too someday, but you know what... it's none of my business

Not at all. In fact, highly caloric meals that are not processed is what made ME fat. My point above was that it's easy to judge, and I was wrong to do so.

Then you judged, again, on the way out. Lol.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    My 10 year old eats what she wants. She Rock climbs 4x a week. Swims 1x a week. Does gymnastics 2x a week. She makes smart choices that include cookies, ice cream ,fruit and even some veggies. She is highly aware of counting calories because I have done it for three years. Food is food. Some choices are better than others. Who would want to be the one that starts a child down the the path of disordered eating habits? I prefer to teach her moderation and being active = eat all the food you love.
  • jams0411
    jams0411 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i sort of understand what you're trying to say OP but since you don't have kids and the way you post it some people may find it offensive or just wrong if it is the case.

im gonna say my personal experience, i can tell you this; i grew up in a non american family plus my contact with usa was summer/christmas vacation and last year i spend the whole year there, what i can tell you and by no way it's me trying to be judgmental it's how surprise i was with things that i saw parents buying to children, my day to day there i could appreciate with friends, coworkers and family etc. i guess it's different because i live in a third world country and having ice cream, cake, all those types of juice and those things that i suppose you are including in your list as "chemical crap" was not there, eating fast food was something that i did have maybeee twice a month and that it's whats normal for me and what i intend to pass on my children, but again that's me and my circumstance and sometimes even when we are not aware in many ways we've become our parents, and we teach or raise our children the same wewere.

p.s not trying to implied U.S people eat worst or have any study that confirms that but since i've being able to live in a couple of places you definitely can appreciate the difference from culture to culture.
  • sophomorelove
    sophomorelove Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I am on the fence about this. I remember I used to sneak sugar by the spoonful as a kid whenever I could. I only got to eat candy in other people's homes, or on holidays, so I learned that treats = fun and excitement. I could not understand how at some of my friends' houses there were bowls of fruit and candy on the table and they could eat it any time they wanted but they didn't becasue they knew it was always there. The only rule was not to snack within one hour before a meal. 20 years later, I am still working on knocking treats off the pedestal. But as a mom, I see where you are coming from. It is our responsibility to take care of our kids, and give them the best nutrition available.