Options
    Jams009 wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    zenaxe wrote: »
    Although this detours somewhat from the OP, and given that there is some discussion about this, I'm wondering where I land in terms of categories and labels. I love meat and ate it freely all my life but over the past three years have only been eating fish and eggs in terms of meat etc. That said, it's not exactly vegetarian and not vegan....so I guess it just is what it is without label. Very liberating.

Ovo-pescatarian?

That's what I would call it.

I kind of agree with the 'no need to label' sentiment, but sometimes labels are helpful for communication; ovo-pescatarian compresses a full sentence into one word.

Yeah, until you have to explain whatever the heck it means to someone who isn't down with the lingo...so silly.

Yeah... Or you could sound silly if they knew the term already and you just used a full sentence to describe it to them. Can't win really.

Yes you can. Don't use stupid labels to explain what you eat to people. A simple "I prefer the fish tonight" is sufficient. I mean, really, who cares?

I think it depends on the situation and who you are talking to; if someone is directly asking you about your dietary preferences then they care at least a little, and it might be useful to have a succinct way of putting it i.e. I'm an "X" (as long as you think the person would understand what you mean - which could be hard to judge). If you are just ordering food, then no; there is no need to announce it to everyone.

Ovo-pescatarian as a label is a bit more obscure and probably less useful/required than vegetarian or vegan, but I don't think it is entirely without merit - especially in the vegetarian/vegan communities.

Honestly? Even if you're talking to someone about their dietary preference why is it necessary to label it? Why, if for example, I don't eat red meat, pork, chicken, but I do eat fish, eggs and dairy can't I just say "Well, I don't eat XYZ because I don't like how it tastes but I LOVE my fish, eggs and dairy." Why is it even necessary to say I'm some sort of "atarian"?

It's not necessary, just useful sometimes. I don't understand why it's such a problem; why are you so anti-labelling?

My view is if you came to my house for dinner you could say "I'm a lacto-vegetarian" and I would instantly know what to cook or not cook for you without any further questions or explanation. I don't see anything stupid or wrong with that?

Nothing wrong if you prefer to explain it in detail either, I just don't see anything inherently bad about using labels.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Although this detours somewhat from the OP, and given that there is some discussion about this, I'm wondering where I land in terms of categories and labels. I love meat and ate it freely all my life but over the past three years have only been eating fish and eggs in terms of meat etc. That said, it's not exactly vegetarian and not vegan....so I guess it just is what it is without label. Very liberating.

Ovo-pescatarian?

I kind of agree with the 'no need to label' sentiment, but sometimes labels are helpful for communication; ovo-pescatarian compresses a full sentence into one word.

Yeah, until you have to explain whatever the heck it means to someone who isn't down with the lingo...so silly.

Yeah... Or you could sound silly if they knew the term already and you just used a full sentence to describe it to them. Can't win really.

Yes you can. Don't use stupid labels to explain what you eat to people. A simple "I prefer the fish tonight" is sufficient. I mean, really, who cares?

I think it depends on the situation and who you are talking to; if someone is directly asking you about your dietary preferences then they care at least a little, and it might be useful to have a succinct way of putting it i.e. I'm an "X" (as long as you think the person would understand what you mean - which could be hard to judge). If you are just ordering food, then no; there is no need to announce it to everyone.

Ovo-pescatarian as a label is a bit more obscure and probably less useful/required than vegetarian or vegan, but I don't think it is entirely without merit - especially in the vegetarian/vegan communities.

"I eat whatever I want- but mostly chicken, red meat and veggies.

And ice cream.
    pizza and beer.

I eat fish occasionally- but unless it's sushi I don't order it. "

easy.- I just explained what I ate and how I like to eat- without a label
    why? because you don't need one.

No you don't, but that's not what I'm arguing. I'm not saying labels are necessary, just that they are not inherently bad, stupid or useless. It more depends how you use them.

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Ovo-pescatarian?

"I eat whatever I want- but mostly chicken, red meat and veggies.

And ice cream.
    pizza and beer.

I eat fish occasionally- but unless it's sushi I don't order it. "

easy.- I just explained what I ate and how I like to eat- without a label
    why? because you don't need one.

No you don't, but that's not what I'm arguing. I'm not saying labels are necessary, just that they are not inherently bad, stupid or useless. It more depends how you use them.

Agreed.

I don't really care how someone wants to describe their dietary preferences - it's not only a label, but its also a descriptor. I do get irritated when 'labels' are used incorrectly however as it causes confusion.

However, I find it convenient to use these 'labels'. If someone thinks it's stupid or takes issue when I call myself a vegetarian on occasion when it is convenient (because well, I am a vegetarian), then well, that's kind of silly imo.
  • ithkahel
    Options
    I have been vegetarian for 5 years, but due to a peanut allergy I felt tired alot. A blood test result came back the way I expected, I was anemic! As I was vegetarian from 12-17 years I thought this could also be the result of the growing I did. But it wasn't and I slowly started to eat meat again.

I noticed that (for my body) it was best to eat meat a few days per week, but I try to eat organic meat most of the time. I also eat only 150 grams meat per "meatday", and keep my vegetarian days strictly vegetarian. I sometimes eat more meat and sometimes more vegetarian, depending on leftovers, but also because I love to experiment! Grab some herbs, spices or sauces and play with tofu.

Tip; Soy sauce (I use the low-natrium kind), grind cumin seeds, some chili and garlic -> slice the tofu and let it soak for a few hours, then bake them crunchy in a frying pan with olive oil or in the oven, delicious!
  • ithkahel
    Options
    Oh and btw, I Eat what I like, and what feels good to me. I did a nutrition course and there are good and bad things to say for almost everything! The most important thing is that you don't over-do it, "the amount makes the poison" we call it. Even water can poison you when you drink too much (Okay, 8 liters in 1 hour, but still).

If you feel right about yourself, your body feels right, and your lifestyle feels right, then that's right for you. Every body is different, the first can't handle lactose, the second one hurts when eating bread, and the last one feels like eating meat is wrong. There are not only physical things that feel wrong, also mental things. Else there wouldn't be vegans, vegetarians, fruitivores etcetera.

YOU are the only one that should decide what to do with YOUR body, ofcourse you should/can listen to others, but unless YOU see the need to change, you shouldn't.