Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    madiao wrote: »
    Narcissora wrote: »
    I wish peanut butter were zero calories. I love that stuff, but I can't eat it and still make my daily calorie goals. :(
    If PB was 0 calories I don't know if I could fins much room in my day to eat much else :wink:

Today's lunch consisted of rice, chicken with teriyaki sauce, tamagoyaki (which didn't turn out so well but tasted awesome) and two small dumplings in the bottom teir and a generic salad in the top tier.

h3u03hpr618z.jpg

Came to about 560 cals.

That looks awesome!
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    sagj wrote: »

Layer 1: chicken, raspberries, grapes, mushrooms and almonds
    Layer 2: mini mozzarella balls with tomatoes and carrot flowers. Served with ranch dressing ( and a side of curious cat ;) )

Every one of mine comes with a side of curious cat! Alternately it can be: pushy cat, thief cat, taste tester cat, or i'll just stick my toe in there cat...

• sagj
    edited May 2015
    Options

Layer 2: mini mozzarella balls with tomatoes and carrot flowers. Served with ranch dressing ( and a side of curious cat ;) )

Every one of mine comes with a side of curious cat! Alternately it can be: pushy cat, thief cat, taste tester cat, or i'll just stick my toe in there cat...

Yes! She was on her way to thief cat; I got the picture as quickly as I could to save the bento. The picture may be a little out of frame but my lunch is secure! :smiley:
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

One day I'll start calling you the crazy cat lady, but I don't want you spouting gibberish and throwing your kitties at me like missiles. That, and I could be called crazy dog lady...
  • madiao
    madiao Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    @sagj thanks! I love your side of curious kitty, s/he looks so cute ^-^
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I wish you could "like" posts on here...

No bento for me yesterday, and I won't have one on Monday (my favorite food truck catered at work yesterday, and we have loads of leftovers for Monday), but I will be lurking around until then :)
  • sagj
    Options
    pmuzh4j17dak.jpg
    We are just enthusiastic! :wink:
  • votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    4f0s0cpo9669.jpg

- Baby spinach, gouda cheese slice
    - Chicken!
    - Reese's mini peanut butter cups, salted edamame, blueberries
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options

One day I'll start calling you the crazy cat lady, but I don't want you spouting gibberish and throwing your kitties at me like missiles. That, and I could be called crazy dog lady...

Meh, I've been called worse. :wink: Technically, I should be the crazy pet lady, as I've got cats, dogs, rats & fish.

@sagj Exactly! I'll have to share that with the other crazy cat lady at work, err..umm other cat enthusiast :blush:

• MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Hey, I resemble that remark!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I keep forgetting to take pics before I devour mine, but here's today's. I had a heavy breakfast out with my sweetheart, so I took it easy for dinner and snacktime. Large baked potato with cheese and sour cream, yogurt and multigrain chips with black bean hummus. Altogether around 475 cals.

20150502_185850.jpg
  • mangrothian
    Options
    I keep forgetting to take pics before I devour mine, but here's today's. I had a heavy breakfast out with my sweetheart, so I took it easy for dinner and snacktime. Large baked potato with cheese and sour cream, yogurt and multigrain chips with black bean hummus. Altogether around 475 cals.

20150502_185850.jpg
    I've never seen blackbean hummus before, sounds interesting. And I'm jealous of that can of dr pepper; that stuff is so hard to get here. If I do find dr. pepper, its a specialty import and costs like AU$3 a can.

@SpecialKitty7 I used to be a crazy pet lady, but the house we're renting only allows dogs and fish. So that's what we have. Kitty had to move to my parents, where he promptly went out into the garden and ate something he shouldn't, and is now in kitty heaven *sniff*
  • madiao
    madiao Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've never seen blackbean hummus before, sounds interesting. And I'm jealous of that can of dr pepper; that stuff is so hard to get here. If I do find dr. pepper, its a specialty import and costs like AU$3 a can.

I'm not sure how far it would be for you but there is a place in Moorabbin that sells 16 packs of Dr. Pepper for about $12. They're called USA foods, they sell a few different things that are hard to find here but popular in the US :smile:
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    @mangrothian I bet if you can't find the black bean hummus, you could probably find a recipe for it. I can't imagine it's difficult to make if you can find the ingredients. I like it because it's spicy and has fewer calories than regular hummus.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    madiao wrote: »

I'm not sure how far it would be for you but there is a place in Moorabbin that sells 16 packs of Dr. Pepper for about $12. They're called USA foods, they sell a few different things that are hard to find here but popular in the US :smile:

I've been to USA foods a few times when I was living in the Eastern Suburbs, but I'm a little too far away from Moorabbin now.
  • TisMeEggin
    TisMeEggin Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Wow! What great ideas and beautiful pictures! Thank you all for sharing! :)
  • srschaffer1
    srschaffer1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    So, I'm finding myself wanting to try sushi again. Problem is: I can't eat raw sushi. It's always been a problem for me. Does anyone have any suggestions for sushi for me?

Also, I got myself another bento. This time it's a MonBento. I'll try to post pictures when I am able.
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    So, I'm finding myself wanting to try sushi again. Problem is: I can't eat raw sushi. It's always been a problem for me. Does anyone have any suggestions for sushi for me?

Also, I got myself another bento. This time it's a MonBento. I'll try to post pictures when I am able.

I've made sushi rolls that are just veggies and have big chunks of avocado in them. I've also used those imitation crab meat sticks... Sounds gross, but I think they are super yummy. (BUT if you buy these, make sure to use them in like three days after you open the package. They go bad really fast). You can also used cooked shrimp - i've never done this, but I've bought tempura shrimp rolls at restaurants, so I don't see why you couldn't use shrimp to make them.

Try California Rolls. No raw seafood in those.
  • mangrothian
    Options

I know here you can get cook salmon, tuna and chicken cali rolls. Also, look up sushi sandwiches. You can make those with tinned tuna, smoked salmon, etc., so you shouldnt have a problem with that.
  • sagj
    Options
    I get the shrimp California rolls which are good. I think there is also a shrimp salad one I've seen. They also make spicy shrimp and crab Cali rolls as well as tofu/ vegetarian roll. And that's just here in my Podunk southwestern US town grocery store; I'm sure there are so many more varieties out there. Raw fish is an ingredient in a segment of what we define as sushi; there are many types that don't touch raw fish with a ten foot pole :smiley: