Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Narcissora wrote: »
    It's like all those recipes that call for half of something (like half a banana). What am I supposed to do with the other half?

We cut bananas into two-inch chunks and freeze them in a zip-loc bag. (If we bought more bananas than we can eat before they go bad, or we only want half, or whatever). We use frozen bananas to make smoothies... Frozen bananas make the smoothie icy and cold without having to add any ice.

As many smoothies as I have eaten, I've never truly considered tossing a banana chunk in there. Might have to give that a go next time something calls for a half a banana. Getting all the bananas eaten before they go bad has not really been a problem for us :mrgreen:

It's sometimes a problem for us, but that's what banana nut bread (or muffins!) is for :smile:
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It's just me so I almost always get one that's spottier than I'll eat by the end of the week. I toss them (skin and all) in the freezer and when I have to bake for church I toss them in. I use a spice cake mix and add 2 bananas, some cinnamon, a 1/4 white sugar, 2 eggs and MAYBE some nuts or chocolate chips if I have them.

Same thing for zucchini season. One medium size zucchini, 1/4 C sugar with 2 eggs and a devil's food cake mix... SCRUMPTIOUS!

Not exactly clean eating but delicious and .... I'm not eating it. :open_mouth:
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    It's like all those recipes that call for half of something (like half a banana). What am I supposed to do with the other half?

We cut bananas into two-inch chunks and freeze them in a zip-loc bag. (If we bought more bananas than we can eat before they go bad, or we only want half, or whatever). We use frozen bananas to make smoothies... Frozen bananas make the smoothie icy and cold without having to add any ice.

As many smoothies as I have eaten, I've never truly considered tossing a banana chunk in there. Might have to give that a go next time something calls for a half a banana. Getting all the bananas eaten before they go bad has not really been a problem for us :mrgreen:
    At our grocery store they frequently mark down bananas that are past their prime. I buy those and freeze them in chunks immediately for smoothies and banana bread.
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Look, guys! I carved a fish into my cheese! I feel all, you know, artistic or something.

nkbamwkqcb1g.jpg

Cod fish nuggets; homemade tartar sauce in the little blue container; white rice; romaine with feta, and a babybel light.
  • srschaffer1
    srschaffer1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    All of your Bentos look delicious! Also I finally got a Bento! I will be posting a pic of it later when I can!

I'm so excited to get started with my journey and so that I can post my Bentos as well!
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Look, guys! I carved a fish into my cheese! I feel all, you know, artistic or something.

nkbamwkqcb1g.jpg

Cod fish nuggets; homemade tartar sauce in the little blue container; white rice; romaine with feta, and a babybel light.

Two things, 1: awesome fishie! 2: How on earth did you get your fish nuggets to look like the picture? Most of what I make from scratch belongs on pinterest fails.
  • Narcissora
    Options
    Two things, 1: awesome fishie! 2: How on earth did you get your fish nuggets to look like the picture? Most of what I make from scratch belongs on pinterest fails.

I have no idea... I found that recipe in Pinterest, and the reviews were incredible, so I decided to try it out. It worked like a charm! I think broiling them at the end helped them crisp up nicely and hold together. But next time I won't use cod. It is so fishy tasting when you just bake it. (Cod was meant to be deep fried in my opinion). I'm going to try something much more mild next time - possibly tilapia.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @Narcissora I LOVE tilapia. It is so mild of a fish even my uncle would eat it!

I love any kind of fish. Especially any kind of fish I can eat raw! :yum:
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

nkbamwkqcb1g.jpg

I love it! I totally want a fishy lunch (Here fishy, fishy, fishy...) Once a I have a kitchen back fish is going to happen. And I'll have to break down and buy babybels so I can make fishy cheese (poor me buying babybels ;) )
  • PixieGoddess
    Options
    @Narcissora I LOVE tilapia. It is so mild of a fish even my uncle would eat it!

I love any kind of fish. Especially any kind of fish I can eat raw! :yum:

Agreed, my husband didn't like fish when we first started dating, but I got him to eat tilapia (smothered in cornbread stuffing) and he liked it. 5 years later, I've gotten him hooked on sushi :)
  • sagj
    Options
    All of your Bentos look delicious! Also I finally got a Bento! I will be posting a pic of it later when I can!

I'm so excited to get started with my journey and so that I can post my Bentos as well!

Yay! Welcome to the asylum, err... club!
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    @Narcissora Love the fish lunch!

New people just means more lovely bento lunch photos

Hubby ate everything but his brownie yesterday, which he did eat later. Yay!! Ok hubby's lunch today is meatloaf sandwich. It is in pieces in the box, but 2 turkey meatloaf cupcakes, cheese, sesame seed hamburger bun (toasted), and some green beans. So around 673 calories. My lunches have been the same as his this week, well sides for yesterdays. It was going to be the same but I got scared of the cheese and stuff. I am slowly adding dairy back in to see if my body can handle it or not. So my lunch today is minus the cheese, add ham, tomato, spinach, onions, and carrots instead of the green beans. 592 calories for my lunch, and I am not on a cut but on maintenance or slight "bulk" while figuring this maintenance thing out.
    2f742496dd8655f5bec02256dab34414.png
  • sagj
    edited April 2015
    Options
    12v3gp8sppgs.jpg
    Whoops, started eating before the picture again. Nom nom...

Layer 1: Last of the green chile sausage, cut up hard boiled egg, almonds, blueberries and red grapes
    Layer 2: Carrots, mushroom, broccoli salad with goat cheese. I'm going to put tomato basil dressing on the broccoli bits
  • PixieGoddess
    Options
    Big tier: more leftover chicken and LOTS more leftover balsamic veggies
    Small tier: cheese stick and pretzels with peanut butter (Peter Pan crunchy, for anybody who's a pb snob like my husband)

071ct7xsqu89.jpg

Lesson learned: If you're prepping your bento early and putting it in the fridge, do not put pretzels in the bento yet. You will eat one and immediately throw away the rest :( But I got a spoon and ate the peanut butter anyways :)
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    But I got a spoon and ate the peanut butter anyways :)

You're a champ! I might've licked the cup a time or two myself... :relaxed: Oh, and I'm totally a PB snob as well, but seeing as they make it right across the street from my office and we can buy direct from the factory, I've been a bit spoiled (and Tuesdays/Wednesdays smell awesome).

• Narcissora
    Options
    I wish peanut butter were zero calories. I love that stuff, but I can't eat it and still make my daily calorie goals. :(
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 tbsp every morning. Either on oatmeal with a tsp of honey or on a toasted english muffin. NOM NOM NOM NOM. Love that stuff!
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I like peanut butter, but I just don't go for it very often. I like to slather my toast with the stuff, and as @Narcissora said, it's kinda hard to make my cal goals when I do.

Been working long hours the latter half of this week, so I've been getting home too late to make my lunch; time with the hubby and furbabies has been more important with the 40 minutes I get between getting home and going to bed. Today will be *gasp* cup ramen. Not any old cup ramen, but Nissin kitsune udon. Its my comfort food ^_^
    buwkw3vckr71.jpg
  • madiao
    madiao Posts: 119 Member
    Options

I wish peanut butter were zero calories. I love that stuff, but I can't eat it and still make my daily calorie goals. :(
    If PB was 0 calories I don't know if I could fins much room in my day to eat much else :wink:

Today's lunch consisted of rice, chicken with teriyaki sauce, tamagoyaki (which didn't turn out so well but tasted awesome) and two small dumplings in the bottom teir and a generic salad in the top tier.

h3u03hpr618z.jpg

Came to about 560 cals.
  • sagj
    edited May 2015
    Options
    p659eo4p6ubf.jpg
    Here is my very fast brown and red box:

Layer 1: chicken, raspberries, grapes, mushrooms and almonds
    Layer 2: mini mozzarella balls with tomatoes and carrot flowers. Served with ranch dressing ( and a side of curious cat ;) )