Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have no idea about the veg leather thingies - I've looked for it here in Aus and can't find them :sweat:

What I do have though is one of my fav bentos. It doesn't really look different from the rest, but it has my favourite savoury furikake flavour, tamagoyaki and smoked salmon. Winter veggies are getting cheaper too, so I can add in some golden squash and asparagus to my lunch ^_^ Just over 500Cal
    laybe42mw0nt.jpg
    I also brought in some matcha crush pocky, but it's already in my belleh.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks to the local Dollar Store I got to give this a try before I invest in all the gear.

This is my first attempt (a feeble attempt, but it's a start)!
    There is also a heart shaped egg, but it was less than pretty so I left it out. There is also a small container of oatmeal but I haven't figured out how to make that.....cute... yet.

ETA: AM snack of sliced cucumbers and grape tomatoes. Lunch is chili lime chicken legs, lime cilantro rice, fresh peas. Afternoon snack of cheese and sliced apple.
    xvpktlegrfpm.jpg
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    Yes, it is like a fruit leather with spice or savory taste. I have never seen them at Trader Joes, I get them at Wegmans or the healthfood store. They are in different places in different stores but look at Gluten Free aisles.
    There is also a coconut wrap if anyone is interested.

Hmmmmm... I checked the Wegmans app for gem wraps, but nothing came up. I wonder if mine has them. I will have to swing by to check out the GF section... I could call and ask, but I have the feeling that no one will know what I'm talking about.

I looked up nutrition information, and I have to find these. For a wrap that is 10-25 calories, these could be the answer to a lot of my problems.
  • Narcissora
    Options
    Today's bento lunch: white rice with peas; samosas from Trader Joe's (there are some great things for bentos at TJ's if you live near one); mukimame; kiwi; and a couple gummy things from the bulk candy bins at IKEA.

hvnkzhf6prmr.jpg
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    If you can't find the Gem wraps, Trader Joe's has low carb wraps at 45 calories. They're small, a little larger than soft taco sized, but they're delicious and have lots of fiber. Also, Amazon has the Gem wraps.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »
    Thanks to the local Dollar Store I got to give this a try before I invest in all the gear.

There is also a heart shaped egg, but it was less than pretty so I left it out. There is also a small container of oatmeal but I haven't figured out how to make that.....cute... yet.

ETA: AM snack of sliced cucumbers and grape tomatoes. Lunch is chili lime chicken legs, lime cilantro rice, fresh peas. Afternoon snack of cheese and sliced apple.

Looks mighty tasty to me; I like the sound of the flavours you have with your rice. Lots of colours with foods you like are all you need - pretty and cutesy happens 1) with practice and 2) if you have the time.

I dont know about everyone else, but the only reason mine look even remotely close to neat and pretty (at least I hope they do) is because I make nearly the same thing every day, and we all know that practice makes crazy ;)
  • Narcissora
    Options

xvpktlegrfpm.jpg

I like the little cheese flowers. What did you use to cut those?

And "Tupperware bentos" are awesome. You don't need all the fancy boxes and dividers to make bentos. Those are just extra "fluff".

For the oatmeal, maybe you could put fruit or raisins on the top to make it pretty? Or a bit of cinnamon to garnish?
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Narcissora wrote: »
    Today's bento lunch: white rice with peas; samosas from Trader Joe's (there are some great things for bentos at TJ's if you live near one); mukimame; kiwi; and a couple gummy things from the bulk candy bins at IKEA.

hvnkzhf6prmr.jpg

I really need to drive to the nearest Trader's Joe and check that place out!

Made lunch for hubby, leftovers and apples hey fruit is in there this time, yay!

Everyone's lunch are so lovely.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Today's non-traditional bento. Salami and laughing cow cheese roll ups with carrots, a mandarin orange (tangerine or whatever) and strawberries. Total 485 calories.

pwsrg2ku56ex.jpg

Oh, and for whatever reason, my cat took offense to this bento (he does prefer the Japanese ones) and knocked it off the counter into his water bowl on the floor. Lunch came through unscathed!
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options

xvpktlegrfpm.jpg

I think it's pretty awesome!
  • carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Can you please come to my house and cut my veggies into pretty shapes like that?

I haven't used bento per se, however, I did purchase a few sets of containers made by Rubbermaid, I think they are called The Cube (??) and they all seal nicely and snap together, they come in a variety of sizes and have been great for portion-control. For me the trick was to buy a few sets so that there is always at least 1 clean set available. I thought the prep was going to be a dreadful chore, but have just made it part of dinner prep and post-dinner cleanup. This may crazy but having fun & pretty containers makes me look forward to packing my lunch, and fetching my lunch from the fridge and actually eating it rather than running out for fast food.
  • fe0208
    fe0208 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use a PlanetBox lunchbox. I love it!
  • Narcissora
    Options
    having fun & pretty containers makes me look forward to packing my lunch, and fetching my lunch from the fridge and actually eating it rather than running out for fast food.

This :)
  • MyM0wM0w
    Options
    I learned an important Bento lessons last night.

If you make your meals ahead of time and just have to 'build' the Bento it makes you less stressed... and homicidal.

Last night I made chicken legs for the week and rice for 3 days. I anticipate this making tonight's work MUCH easier.

I also learned that just packing the containers full of food took me about 500 calories over my macros. It also packed WAY more food than I can eat in a single day. Have to pay more attention to that when I'm building.

I'm really glad I found this thread. I love the idea and I LOVE when my food looks nice. IT makes my meals so much more pleasant!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to thank this thread in general for introducing me to GemWraps. I'm not a bento gal (so fat, so lazy am I), but I totally just ordered a pack of tomato and a pack of barbecue wraps and I am SO EXCITED to try them!
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    0fad2lri0z3l.jpg
    Veeeery similar bento to yesterday except the fruit is blueberries and I tried to make a radish flower.

Hi new people!!!
  • sagj
    Options
    I learned an important Bento lessons last night.

If you make your meals ahead of time and just have to 'build' the Bento it makes you less stressed... and homicidal.

Last night I made chicken legs for the week and rice for 3 days. I anticipate this making tonight's work MUCH easier.

I also learned that just packing the containers full of food took me about 500 calories over my macros. It also packed WAY more food than I can eat in a single day. Have to pay more attention to that when I'm building.

I'm really glad I found this thread. I love the idea and I LOVE when my food looks nice. IT makes my meals so much more pleasant!

So true! If everything is already made and it just needs to be assembled it can go by very quickly (and I don't even have a kitchen right now. Yay renovations! ) The surplus of calories your experiencing I think may be why bentos look so small; with the right size box you literally cannot stuff too much in ;)

It is so much more enjoyable to eat attractive food, right?!
  • sagj
    Options
    I have no idea about the veg leather thingies - I've looked for it here in Aus and can't find them :sweat:

What I do have though is one of my fav bentos. It doesn't really look different from the rest, but it has my favourite savoury furikake flavour, tamagoyaki and smoked salmon. Winter veggies are getting cheaper too, so I can add in some golden squash and asparagus to my lunch ^_^ Just over 500Cal
    laybe42mw0nt.jpg
    I also brought in some matcha crush pocky, but it's already in my belleh.

So pretty!
  • MyM0wM0w
    Options
    What do you all do with the scraps from cutting the veggies and cheese (and cured meats) into cute shapes? I stuffed the excess under the apple slices (since it was already weighed out and added to my daily log) but... do you just toss the excess? Hide it somewhere in the bento?
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    What do you all do with the scraps from cutting the veggies and cheese (and cured meats) into cute shapes? I stuffed the excess under the apple slices (since it was already weighed out and added to my daily log) but... do you just toss the excess? Hide it somewhere in the bento?

I had asked the same question when i started out. At first, i just weighed the shapes and fed the dogs the scraps. Now i know to hide them under the pretty top layer.