Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• srschaffer1
    srschaffer1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    @mangrothian You should turn this into a Bento group so people can share their pictures of their bentos and talk about them!
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Ugh, late night last night. I put together something I can much on little by little today when and if I feel like eating.

enm497310npo.jpg

Hangover bento: kale and spinach balls; mukimame; peas; almonds; babybel light; bananas with Greek yogurt and cinnamon; pineapple; unsweetened applesauce; ibuprofen
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Amazon has a lot of stuff. I like the justBento site as well- I need to look into getting the book! We have a Container Store near by. That place is lethal! So I try to avoid it. But it does have some neat boxes that I am dying to get.

I personally like the metal boxes, but there are a lot of super cute boxes out there.
  • srschaffer1
    Options
    @kramrn77 I'm going to end up looking on Amazob later so I can see whats available.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I spent a good four hours studying tonight since my night classes start up again this week. My wind down before going to bed was making my bento more prettified than normal. My mum always said not to play with my food, but I'm a grown up now and I'll bloody well do it if I want to ^_^

Friday's Bento: chicken mini dumplings with veg, a boiled egg and rice with shiso furikake, mirin, and an umeboshi. Totalling a whopping 415 Cal, and I had to squish the lid down hard (it's still a 500ml box like I normally use). There's also a container of strawberries and some yoghurt with frozen raspberries there. Excuse the crappy photo tonight, my iPhone was flat, and my old iPad tried its hardest.
    vioceqz9jknp.jpg
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Narcissora wrote: »

Hangover bento: kale and spinach balls; mukimame; peas; almonds; babybel light; bananas with Greek yogurt and cinnamon; pineapple; unsweetened applesauce; ibuprofen

Giggles at Hangover bento. No bento for me today, long unexpected night last night.

@srschaffer1 I got nearly all of my stuff on Amazon (the rest from Aliexpress and Jlist). The only thing that's tough is a lot of times they don't list the size of the box so I've gotten surprised a few times. Just go to Amazon and search Bento, you'll find tons of stuff.

• srschaffer1
    Options
    @SpecialKitty7 Thanks. When I get on my lunch I'm going to look.
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Here is mine for today:

First layer: Black plum, Blueberries, strawberries, almonds, broccoli, tomato, green chile pork sausage.
    Bottom layer: Radish, mushrooms, kale salad with sunflower seeds, mushrooms, goat cheese and egg flowers. Served with honey mustard dressing.

tgh0llcxc2rq.jpg
  • sagj
    Options
    This is my new bento box and a sneak peek at today's lunch! It's on the lighter side - under 400 calories - because it's date night tonight! My husband and I are heading to a steakhouse and then we are going to see Kinky Boots. Super excited!!!

yatht4su6veg.jpg

Chicken and vegetable gyoza from Trader Joe's; kale and spinach bites also from Trader Joe's; boiled egg; tomato; pineapple. Not pictured is a tiny little fish-shaped squeeze bottle of soy sauce. I forgot to put it in the box before I snapped a photo.

We have the same box! (Different lid but the same box!) Very nice! I love the little dividers that come with them; they make it so easy to portion everything. Where did you get the little blue rectangular cup you have?
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    sagj wrote: »

We have the same box! (Different lid but the same box!) Very nice! I love the little dividers that come with them; they make it so easy to portion everything. Where did you get the little blue rectangular cup you have?

I like the little dividers too! I used them in today's bento. Did you get a weird curvy divider? Do you know what it is for?

The blue cup is a square silicon cupcake liner (I have green cups too). I can't remember where I found them, but I'm pretty sure these on Amazon are the same ones: http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Square-Silicone-Baking-Count/dp/B000NBNHHE
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    @sagj your boxes are so pretty and tasty looking!
  • sagj
    Options
    I saw this thread and said to myself, 'I've always wanted to do a bento to control my eating!' Honestly, I've been kind of scared to do so! I have no clue where to start or what bento container to buy!

I would love to start, any tips and tricks for a person who wants to start?

I learned a ton from the earlier pages on this post! Also, just think of it as lunch in a small box. How would you pack your lunch if you only had a small box? If you didn't want all of it mixed together what would you do? It shouldn't be too intimidating when you are just packing "normal" foods. The hardest part is picking the box size, I think. My box is 640 ml for a frame of reference. I stuff it all the way full as you can see. I believe I and others have posted a page for figuring out what size fits your height and gender back there somewhere. Keep in mind that if you don't heat a usual Japanese diet the calorie counts may be a little off (I replace most of my grains with vegetables, for instance).

I hope that helps :)
  • sagj
    Options
    Ugh, late night last night. I put together something I can much on little by little today when and if I feel like eating.

enm497310npo.jpg

l2p8pkbv46z6.jpg
    ;)
  • srschaffer1
    Options
    I saw this thread and said to myself, 'I've always wanted to do a bento to control my eating!' Honestly, I've been kind of scared to do so! I have no clue where to start or what bento container to buy!

I learned a ton from the earlier pages on this post! Also, just think of it as lunch in a small box. How would you pack your lunch if you only had a small box? If you didn't want all of it mixed together what would you do? It shouldn't be too intimidating when you are just packing "normal" foods. The hardest part is picking the box size, I think. My box is 640 ml for a frame of reference. I stuff it all the way full as you can see. I believe I and others have posted a page for figuring out what size fits your height and gender back there somewhere. Keep in mind that if you don't heat a usual Japanese diet the calorie counts may be a little off (I replace most of my grains with vegetables, for instance).

Thanks so much! I'm more into heating things up so its a nmatterof finding a bento that can do that. Lol. Most of it can be cold, but I have to pack breakfast and lunch in my bag.

• sagj
    Options

I like the little dividers too! I used them in today's bento. Did you get a weird curvy divider? Do you know what it is for?

The blue cup is a square silicon cupcake liner (I have green cups too). I can't remember where I found them, but I'm pretty sure these on Amazon are the same ones: http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Square-Silicone-Baking-Count/dp/B000NBNHHE

That curvy thing is a rice press for making box sized oniguri (I could be horribly misspelling that;) ) I believe.

Thank you SpecialKitty!
  • sagj
    Options

Thanks so much! I'm more into heating things up so its a nmatterof finding a bento that can do that. Lol. Most of it can be cold, but I have to pack breakfast and lunch in my bag.
    Whoops, I meant eat, not heat. Although temperature preferences do play a significant role in deciding on a bento box. You could also use a normal box, put put your hot food in a silicone cup and heat it in that outside of the box then put it back in.
  • srschaffer1
    Options

Whoops, I meant eat, not heat. Although temperature preferences do play a significant role in deciding on a bento box. You could also use a normal box, put put your hot food in a silicone cup and heat it in that outside of the box then put it back in.

Agreed! I'm going to look at my options and see what I can do, mixing and matching.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    I went through the thread and found a couple of my longer posts regarding some of the recurring questions in the thread in case any of the people new to the thread don't want to scroll through all the pages of posts.

Once again, these are the principles I follow for my lunch. They've served me well, but everyone has their own ideals about the food they want to eat, what's available to them and in the end, what is practical for your time and budget.
    PhatAv8r wrote: »
    ummmm, am I missing something? I mean, I have 4-5 LOCK-LOCK boxes that I use for different things I haul to eat. Sometimes it' also zippies, but isn't BENTO just taking lunch in a box?

@PhatAv8r lol yes, in the end it is just lunch in a box.

The idea of the "Bento" lunch box is more about the general principles of portion control, packing a box that's tight so that -hopefully- even if a box flips over or moves around in transport it will still all look the same and not be smooshed, and is survivable at room temperature for sometimes 6+hours before being eaten.

The other premise, or at least the one that I preach to people, is that the majority of the food can be pre-prepared and frozen, so that when you make a lunch, you have controlled portions of food right on hand for use. You have no excuse to not pack your lunch if it will take you a couple of minutes to zap some pre-prepped meat and rice(or carb of choice) and 5mins chopping up a cup of veggies and blanching them in boiling water for about 3mins. Since you've pre-weighed a lot of your lunch, it's really easy to log as well.

The boxes are also a lot smaller, in most cases only 500ml or 700ml in volume. The idea of it can help people who have issues with portion control, or have a compulsive 'completion response'. I still have a habit of no matter what the size of my lunchbox, I will always a) fill it up when I'm cooking and b) attempt to eat EVERYTHING in the box. Having a 500ml box in my case satisfies me as much as a 1L, or in the past 2L, box did.

My other premise, is that a Bento lunch should LOOK very appetising as well. People eat with their eyes as much as their stomachs, and having a well presented, colourful lunch is always nicer than something that is not.
    @supershamster Bento's don't need to be Japanese food focused, but the type of foods they use are definitely more portable at room temperature than some western foods. My personal rules for Bento's are:

Once again, I'm sorry for the long post, but I kinda got on a roll, and had 10 mins to spare before gym....

- It must not be a drippy food (it means it has sauce can go through the other foods making them soggy, or potentially leak from a container). If it needs sauce, the sauce can go in a mini squeeze bottle.
    - It must taste good at room temperature.
    - It must be safe to eat after being at room temperature for up to 6 hours. For example, cream/mayo based food doesn't last at room temp for very long.
    - If it's squishy, you need to be able to separate the food from the foods that can squish it. Berry fruits are a good example for this one
    - No salt on your vegetables. Trust me, you'll learn they're damn well tasty enough on their own. Edamame (soy beans) are probably my only exception to his. Your blood pressure will also thank you.
    - Pre prepare! Cook your meat in batches, portion it out and store it in ziploc bags, wrap it in gladwrap, or whatever. That way you've already got your portion (so you're not going to be deceived by your eyes if you're hungry whilst making your Bento), and it's one less step to worry about during the week. I pre-cook and freeze everything except my vegetables. An hour cooking some different meats one night a week saves you a LOT of time.

In essence, most of my Bento's consist of rice, lightly blanched or raw vegetables and some kind of meat - there isn't that much variation except for the fruits I eat. The main concept is more about portioning your food, packing it well, and have as many colours as possible. The Japanese believe that the more (natural) colours you have in your Bento, the healthier it is. And as @Specialkitty7 said, it can be quite satisfying having a little bit of everything to eat, instead of say, one bowl of pasta or a sandwich.

In terms of recipes, there might be some you may not try if the ingredients are too hard to get, but I can't recommend the JustBento website more. Makiko Itoh has the 500 cal or less Bento down to an art form, and they all sure do taste good.

A good example of portion control/ratios in a Bento. It also talks about easing into using Bento concepts if you've never had/heard of them before:
    http://justbento.com/handbook/getting-started-bento-making/aim-for-balance

A "skinny" versus "not so skinny" bento
    http://justbento.com/handbook/getting-started-bento-making/skinny-bento-vs-not-skinny-bento

Some of the foods I might list aren't necessary, or I'm using the Japanese name for the food. For example furikake (foo-ree-ka-keh) is a dry rice seasoning. You could season your rice with just salt and pepper, or roasted sesame seeds with salt (which in Japanese is called Gomashio). The umeboshi is a sour pickled plum, and that is DEFINITELY an acquired taste. I just like something sour to finish off my meal, and it's meant to help the rice keep longer at room temperature. Tamagoyaki is a rolled cooked egg with some soy and a pinch of sugar. Ponzu is a soy sauce with citrus in it, so its like a slightly sour soy sauce. Only a few of my ingredients require a specialty store - most you can find in the asian section of your supermarket.
    Kabiti wrote: »
    These are awesome!! It looks like so much work? How do you cut down on prep time?

Practice and Preparation! My main starchy carb is rice (potatoes and wheat don't sit too well with my stomach), which I cook in large batches, and freeze portions into ziplock bags for quick defrosting each night. I do the same thing for my protein, or reserve a small portion when cooking dinner. Veggies (the picture I posted is an exception) are usually just smaller cut portions that I prepare when doing that nights dinner. If I'm prepping a small amount of veggies just for my lunch, I've pretty much cut them up in the time it takes for the water in my saucepan to boil.
    We have a man in my town who makes bento lunches. We have gotten them before and they are always so amazing. I've always wanted to try to make them myself!

*clicks link*

Be careful with takeout Bentos - the sauces they use on the meat and dressings on the veggies aren't always exactly a healthy option, but boy they are tasty!
    lexidear wrote: »
    I love bento! I have a few random bento things I got from Daiso but I mostly just use regular containers. I love the style of eating though - a bit of everything, rahter than just 1 solid meal. Would love to see more of your photos!

Daiso is the best for getting Bento boxes! All the boxes (not the water bottle) that I use are generally from there.
    Kabiti wrote: »
    ^ I was looking at the justbento.com site and they suggest using whatever boxes you can find. Bento specific ones are expensive (though certainly nice looking!)

I love what she says about, at least with the 1:1:2 ratio (carbs, protein, veggies) the calories and container mL are about equal when packed. That would make aspects of recording pretty easy to do.

Some Bento boxes are expensive (I generally can't justify the splurge), but if you have a Daiso store near you, the boxes are cheap and good quality. It's like a Japanese variety store; in the Australian ones, everything is $2.80. The blue set is one box, and the two square boxes are another set. Throw in a mini cutlery set and a small insulated bag, and my box set costs a whopping $11.20AU (so under 10USD). Honestly, most of the time my Bento is prepped in a click-lock box, with small portion things like cut fruit separated from everything else in a silicone muffin cup.

It is easy to record as well - since i use the same proportions of foods regularly, logging for the day is usually a matter of ticking a few boxes in my recent foods category and that's it.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    @mangrothian You should turn this into a Bento group so people can share their pictures of their bentos and talk about them!

You know, I had thought about that, but I find my alerts don't work with posts I've bookmarked that are from the groups I'm in, so it kinda put me off making one. I get excited every time I see a string of posts pop up in my notifications for this thread.
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options

You know, I had thought about that, but I find my alerts don't work with posts I've bookmarked that are from the groups I'm in, so it kinda put me off making one. I get excited every time I see a string of posts pop up in my notifications for this thread.

Me Too!