Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Just bought some really cute bento boxes/cutters/little containers but I have not gotten around to actually using them yet. Really need to get on this. I really think much of how satisfying our food is hinges on what it looks like so bento makes sense to me.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Narcissora wrote: »
    This might be my last bento for a long time. My husband and I move out of our apartment at the end of the week, and the entire moving process is going to be very long - maybe like a month. My bento is getting packed away, and we pretty much will have to eat out until we are completely moved into our new home.

We decided not to go grocery shopping over the weekend so that we can clean out the fridge and cupboards as much as possible. Today's bento is really random.

Ramen, corn, olives, strawberries, Jell-O, Babybel cheese. We have virtually no protein in the house. Not even a can of tuna. This is going to be a rough week.

If I am able to make another bento before we leave, it will probably have canned fruit and frozen veggies and bread with butter and sprinkles ;)

I actually do have a jar of sprinkles in the pantry.

I call that a 'mother hubbard's cupboard' bento. I'm sure we all have plenty of those ^_^

Tuesdays bento for me is a Chicken soboro don (What would I do without Nami and Maki?). I made it for dinner, keeping in mind a serving for tomorrow. So delish! In this case, the rice is under the mince chicken so it can soak up the liquid and flavour. The only change I made to the recipe is less sugar in the mince and the eggs (added some mushroom dashi powder to the eggs instead)
    ytoxpu3kb559.jpg
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Tuesdays bento for me is a Chicken soboro don (What would I do without Nami and Maki?). I made it for dinner, keeping in mind a serving for tomorrow. So delish! In this case, the rice is under the mince chicken so it can soak up the liquid and flavour. The only change I made to the recipe is less sugar in the mince and the eggs (added some mushroom dashi powder to the eggs instead)
    ytoxpu3kb559.jpg
    This looks amazeballs. I'm going to have to steal this recipe...
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    f2q3mccgjh4q.jpg
    4lugwjdk9byp.jpg

Here are my bentos for yesterday and today:

Today's bento-Layer 1: pork loin, celery sticks, and blueberries
    Layer 2: layered eggplant and meatballs

Yesterday's bento-Layer 1: pork loin, celery sticks, and blueberries
    Layer 2: Deconstructed shrimp California roll and lime parsley rice

If the the pork and celery look awfully similar between the boxes it is because I didn't eat them yesterday and just packed them again. We were practicing inversions (headstand, shoulder stand) in yoga teacher training yesterday and I decided it wasn't a great idea eat my whole bento. Instead I have pork today. Yummy.

@Narcissora Have a good move and see ya on the flip side ;)
  • LadyAhiru
    LadyAhiru Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    4awjp26ac12r.jpg

Sweet and Sour Pork for tomorrow
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    Leftovers never taste better (nor transport easier) than the do with the aid of a Bento box.
    This stackable, microwavable, tri-compartment beauty lets my hots and colds cohabitate.
    today's meal:
    1. Fussili pasta bolognese,
    2. Field greens,
    3. fresh fruit
    YUMMMMM9ojnq5p4txse.jpg
  • wrealmusic
    wrealmusic Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of bento boxes for portion control.
  • madiao
    madiao Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    @Narcissora good luck with the move!!

Today, kitty rice, salmon sashimi and a garden salad

3cur4y7ucbkq.jpg
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    @madiao - TRADE BENTOS WITH ME!!!

My bento is sesame fish, long grain and wild rice, mixed veggies, and berries:
    z8t09znwptgr.jpg
  • mangrothian
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    ytoxpu3kb559.jpg
    This looks amazeballs. I'm going to have to steal this recipe...

Lol, feel free. I shamelessly took it from the JustOneCookbook website, so go ahead. It tastes as amazeballs as it looks.
    madiao wrote: »

3cur4y7ucbkq.jpg

Love the kitties! It's almost a shame to eat their pretty little... nah. nomnomnomnomnom.
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

3cur4y7ucbkq.jpg

There's good news and bad news...

The good news- the kitties are awesome, the owl box is awesome, the food is awesome

The bad news- I tried to eat it through my screen but it didn't taste very good. Kinda like screen cleaner, dust and aluminum...

;)
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Summer school bento! :#
    Bamboo mushroom stir fry, chili broccoli, some pan fry salmon, and braised daikon! Fermented salted carrots on top of rice.
    cf1d0j823k55.jpg

• SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options

3cur4y7ucbkq.jpg

I squee'd a little at those kitties! No shame here :sunglasses:
  • mangrothian
    Options
    wrealmusic wrote: »
    I love the idea of bento boxes for portion control.
    @wrealmusic Welcome! If you love the idea, join us! We're not creepy at all.... you don't need to keep us at arms length or anything...

ps0kifd0ojhb.gif
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Oooh, OP is a Skip Beat! fan! I already love you.

I tend to bento it up myself, but I haven't made it pretty in a bit - I've been thinking about that. Since I went vegetarian [diet only, no moral qualms] one of my sets is sitting practically unused - a CuteZCute Animal Friends Deco cutter. I need some meatless 'lunchmeat'... But it's sooooo cute!
  • mangrothian
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »

I tend to bento it up myself, but I haven't made it pretty in a bit - I've been thinking about that. Since I went vegetarian [diet only, no moral qualms] one of my sets is sitting practically unused - a CuteZCute Animal Friends Deco cutter. I need some meatless 'lunchmeat'... But it's sooooo cute!

^_^ I'm still waiting for Tsuruga Ren to come clean to Kyouko about everything in the manga; It's driving me batty. I'm also sad because I've never had use for the gif of Kyouko stomping on Shotaro's head.

And she has mad culinary skills. I'm sure she'd make an awesome bento.
  • PixelPuff
    Options

^_^ I'm still waiting for Tsuruga Ren to come clean to Kyouko about everything in the manga; It's driving me batty. I'm also sad because I've never had use for the gif of Kyouko stomping on Shotaro's head.

Have you gotten to Chapter 224 yet? I had to switch sites as my usual [AnimeA] stopped updating the manga, and I was a bit behind. So many feels!

And true. I'm shocked they haven't incorporated her cooking skills into being a guest on a show or something. She catered the event for Maria, and got huge praise from the 'famous' chef, but it really ended there.

I'd loooove to see a Kyouko bento. I wish I took a picture of any of my own bentos when doing them. Hrm.
  • mangrothian
    Options

Have you gotten to Chapter 224 yet? I had to switch sites as my usual [AnimeA] stopped updating the manga, and I was a bit behind. So many feels!

And true. I'm shocked they haven't incorporated her cooking skills into being a guest on a show or something. She catered the event for Maria, and got huge praise from the 'famous' chef, but it really ended there.

I'd loooove to see a Kyouko bento. I wish I took a picture of any of my own bentos when doing them. Hrm.

I have read 224, but all he says at the end is 'sorry', nothing else. So I'm hoping something will happen, providing Kyouko doesn't run like a bat outta hell.

In case fellow bentoers are confused, bentos from Skip Beat:
    o7hppy0e0kcs.gif
    b96fz69kfijr.jpg

• PixelPuff
    Options
    I'm thinking the driver's "Eh...?" in the call may be referring to Shou being on the way, since he headed in her direction. But guh, all the feels. I hope this makes them closer.
  • madiao
    madiao Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    @PixieGoddess I'll trade with you if you fill it up with those delicious looking berries ;):)

@mangrothian it did seem like a shame.. Until the first bits

@sagj I laughed so hard at your comment hehe
    Swiftlet66 wrote: »
    Summer school bento! :#
    Bamboo mushroom stir fry, chili broccoli, some pan fry salmon, and braised daikon! Fermented salted carrots on top of rice.
    cf1d0j823k55.jpg

This looks delicious! What is the daikon braised in??