Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I got my box and most of my box bits in the mail today. It is soooo cute but so small. I have hope that with proper packing it will work out just fine but seeing as I eat mostly veggies and little grain I'm not sure. The size guidelines for boxes (which I found after ordering) say I should have an 800-900 ml box and this is 640 ml. I love the box so if it doesn't work out I'm so going to be sad panda!
    k3900pwwnsdy.png

Yummy looking lunch Narcissora!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Looking at everyone else's boxes! Going through some things right now and just not into doing it. I have eaten horribly and using the pics to inspire me to do better!
  • sagj
    Options
    Tiny bunny bento box challenge: accepted!2bafvqkx9by7.jpg
    Top layer: ham, carrots, almonds, and blueberries

Bottom: tomatoes and kale salad with sunflower seeds, mushrooms and Gorgonzola. Honey mustard dressing not pictured.

Also will have cherry seltzer water. Hopefully it will be enough since I'll be at work a little late tonight ☺️
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    urehwaq3j91v.jpg

I don't know if I can call a frozen burrito in Tupperware a bento, so I will call this one "bento-inspired OMG THERE IS NOTHING TO EAT IN THIS HOUSE".

Frozen black bean and sweet potato burrito (I made a dozen of these about a month ago, wrapped them individually in Saran Wrap, and tossed them in the freezer for desperate times); tomato; blanched broccoli; and pineapple.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I had a bento yesterday (chicken, rice, broccoli, and apple slices) but didn't get a picture. And I haven't had a bento any other day b/c I've been slacking and need to grocery shop. And looking at all your pretty posts makes me miss my bentos T^T
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I keep forgetting to take pictures. Yesterday was a roast beef and goat cheese sandwich, mix of chickpeas, butternut squash, green peas and chicken sausage, and a red spinach salad with feta and avocado dressing.
  • Narcissora
    Options
    Alright, I really want to order a bento box so I can stop using the same tupperware every day. I'm sure there are suggestions somewhere in this discussion, but there are so many posts at this point that I don't know where to look.

I'm worried about size - Monbento and Bentgo seem so big while this adorable Kotobuki seems like it might be too small.

Any suggestions? I don't have a dishwasher, so it doesn't need to be dishwasher safe, and I don't microwave my bentos, so it doesn't matter if it is microwave safe or not.
  • sagj
    Options
    Narcissora wrote: »
    Alright, I really want to order a bento box so I can stop using the same tupperware every day. I'm sure there are suggestions somewhere in this discussion, but there are so many posts at this point that I don't know where to look.

I'm worried about size - Monbento and Bentgo seem so big while this adorable Kotobuki seems like it might be too small.

Any suggestions? I don't have a dishwasher, so it doesn't need to be dishwasher safe, and I don't microwave my bentos, so it doesn't matter if it is microwave safe or not.

Where are you in the world? I'm in the United States and ordered mine off of Amazon but there are some other cool sources for other parts of the world.
  • Narcissora
    edited April 2015
    Options
    sagj wrote: »

Where are you in the world? I'm in the United States and ordered mine off of Amazon but there are some other cool sources for other parts of the world.

I'm in the U.S. too. The links in my previous post are to a few I found on Amazon. I'm also a prime member, so I specifically search for prime-eligible items for the free shipping. I'm really just worried about size. I have the lock & lock bentos in storage, and I feel like those are way too big. I absolutely love the Kotobuki one I linked (the cat design is adorable), but I'm really afraid that it is going to be tiny.
  • sagj
    Options
    sagj wrote: »

I'm in the U.S. too. The links in my previous post are to a few I found on Amazon. I'm also a prime member, so I specifically search for prime-eligible items for the free shipping. I'm really just worried about size. I have the lock & lock bentos in storage, and I feel like those are way too big. I absolutely love the Kotobuki one I linked (the cat design is adorable), but I'm really afraid that it is going to be tiny.

First, I would look at this website for guesstimating the correct size bento box for you, based on age, gender and height.

That Kotobuki box is adorable. I can't seem to find the amount it holds, but maybe it is just me... The box I got is this one and holds 640 ml. I have only used it today and it seemed like enough of what I packed but otherwise I don't have experience to help. I am a 5'10" physically active, overweight female if that helps :)

There are so many cute boxes out there; it is so hard to choose!
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    @Narcissora All Things For Sale is where I have gotten my items. That and my local grocery store had some boxes too. There is also JBox, Amazon, Bento&Co, and I know I am missing some. Also, if you can find an Asian market in your area they will have some too.

Hubby's lunch on Friday was chicken chili, fritos, cheese, and m&m repeat. Weekend now, not sure if I will make a box for the kids, but I never know.
  • sagj
    Options
    Today's bento (for yoga teacher training):vyelyntp8k2u.jpg

Very similar to the last one but with egg and a strawberry and less almonds.

Layer one: ham, egg, string cheese, almonds, blueberries, strawberries, and carrot

Layer two: kale salad with Gorgonzola, sunflower seeds, mushrooms, and egg and tomatoes. Served with honey mustard dressing. Yum
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    @sagj your bentos are so pretty!
  • sagj
    Options
    @sagj your bentos are so pretty!

Thank you
  • sagj
    Options
    Weird, I've tried to post a longer message twice about the reaction to my bento lunch today and it didn't save it...

I repeat:
    hc5c7zxu0gej.png
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

When it comes to bento size, it completely depends on what type of food you eat and what your rough caloric amount is for your lunch. Also take into account if you box will include a morning/arvo snack or not. Many of us also have a separate set of snack boxes.

If you don't mind a bit of trial and error, I'd suggest going to the 'all things for sale' or Daiso websites and ordering one of their 500ml two tiers, one of the 700mls (or two 350ml ones) and a snack box set (120ml and 70ml) which should cost you under $15 total since the boxes are really cheap. Using different combinations of those boxes should give you an idea of what you need, and from there you can buy the fancy and a little more pricey boxes of you wish.

As a reference, my bento boxesmostly range from 500-700ml in size , and range from 400 to 750 Cal. With the exception of the last week which I haven't logged due to my travel, my diary is open to see what kind of things I manage to get into my bentos when I'm at work.
  • mangrothian
    Options

When it comes to bento size, it completely depends on what type of food you eat and what your rough caloric amount is for your lunch. Also take into account if you box will include a morning/arvo snack or not. Many of us also have a separate set of snack boxes.

If you don't mind a bit of trial and error, I'd suggest going to the 'all things for sale' or Daiso websites and ordering one of their 500ml two tiers, one of the 700mls (or two 350ml ones) and a snack box set (120ml and 70ml) which should cost you under $15 total since the boxes are really cheap. Using different combinations of those boxes should give you an idea of what you need, and from there you can buy the fancy and a little more pricey boxes of you wish.

As a reference, my bento boxesmostly range from 500-700ml in size , and range from 400 to 750 Cal. With the exception of the last week which I haven't logged due to my travel, my diary is open to see what kind of things I manage to get into my bentos when I'm at work.
  • sagj
    Options
    Let's see if MFP will be friendly and let me post today.

Today's bento is:

Box one: left over turkey taco meat, blueberries, strawberries, almonds, broccoli, and string cheese

Box two: cabbage, onions, and tomatoe salad with carrot flowers and slice mushrooms. Not pictured is my creamy chipotle dressing

8jyqwkejf2ar.jpg
  • mangrothian
    Options
    I had a lovely email when I landed home last night that told me I only needed to be at an off-site meeting for the first half of the day, so it meant I could be in my office for lunch instead of out. I don't know if my stomach could handle much more restaurant food, so I was soooooooo glad - it meant when I got home I could actually prepare my own lunch for today! I still had a working breakfast, so I didn't get to eat the yoghurt & raspberries in the photo below, but it's there for another morning.

Ginger beef (I put my microwave on cook instead of defrost and managed to burn it, but it still tasted good), some mini hambaagu, rice, veg. My snack box has some crackers to have with my laughing cow cheese. The bento itself came to 600 Cal

1u9rewukcgkq.jpg
  • Narcissora
    Options
    I bought a new bento from Amazon, and it arrives tomorrow! Yayayayay!!!

On the other hand, I didn't make a bento for today because I bought a bag of the kale quinoa salad mix from Trader Joe's, and the salad is just too big and bulky to bento-ize.

So, below is a tuna salad bento that I made before I started posting here. I had to cover for our runner at work, so I needed a high-protein meal to get me through to day. It ended up being way too much food, so I only ate half of it. The big container has tuna salad, greens, tomato, and a couple mini pita. The small container has almonds, pickles, and red bell pepper strips. The banana and applesauce were snacks.

enre5s3hxmhz.jpg