Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Narcissora wrote: »
    I'm a cosplayer, so my big draw is actually just seeing all the other attendees in their costumes! :3

OH MY GOODNESS I LOVE COSPLAY!!!

Edit: did you see that Simplicity and Mccalls now have a new line of cosplay patterns? They even have a Dalek and Tardis dress pattern! (But my sewing skills are total crap, so I don't make my own costumes. I just enjoy everyone else's creativity).

And now back to bentos... ;)

NOOOO!!!! Runs to google...

Return to your bentos everyone, nothing to see here!
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options

NOOOO!!!! Runs to google...

Here, let me help: click here for details on new Yaya Han and LoriAnn patterns
  • LilSweet2015
    LilSweet2015 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    FitGeekery wrote: »
    Finally got around to making my first bento! Not the prettiest but I've gotta start somewhere hehe I eat most of my food at work so it's hefty as it includes breakfast, lunch & snacks.

80kbl588h178.jpg

Breakfast (184 cals): Greek yogurt & fresh raspberries

Lunch (615 cals) - Jasmine rice, Korean Beef (new recipe, so good!), a couple pieces of bean curd in mushroom & oyster sauce and tomatoes to fill in the gaps. Doubt I'll finish this, found out pretty quickly how much food I could fit if I pack it tightly o.o

Snack (176 cals) - Celery, grape tomatoes & a mini pack of hummus.

Pretty sure I'll be properly fueled for my workout after work :smiley:

Yum! Verrrrrryyyy interested in the bean curd and Korean beef recipes.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Agh, still just need to fill these better, but I think the issue is my box sizes, they are either to big or to small. Tomorrow's lunch is spinach, cheese, rice with pinto beans and chicken.
    17d937eeb1a32a9ca6428598a44d46f9.png
  • pronetocrash91
    pronetocrash91 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I may need to invest in some Bento boxes after looking through this post! Everything looks so cute and delicious! Thanks for all the ideas.
  • madiao
    madiao Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Today: marinated salmon, rice, garden salad and strawberries :)

x87rikb9is5w.jpg
  • munkeyfunk
    munkeyfunk Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hnnnnghhh
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I may need to invest in some Bento boxes after looking through this post! Everything looks so cute and delicious! Thanks for all the ideas.

@pronetocrash91 You don't need a fancy box, you can try this out with tupperware!

• sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    pj802sk680um.jpg

Very similar box to my last one but with.... cherries!!

Layer one-Eggplant Romano with Italian meatballs

Layer two- Cherries! and pecorino Romano with a spring mix and tomato salad. Served with Italian dressing.

And I'm totally abusing that elastic band today; my two layers of cherries didn't want to fit!
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    Options

@pronetocrash91 You don't need a fancy box, you can try this out with tupperware!

Yes, join us with just about any box you have! :smiley:
  • LadyAhiru
    LadyAhiru Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    ridunox7jiho.jpg

Sweet and Spicey Prawns with Rice and Zuccini, Bell Pepper, Mushroom ;)
  • uhhhDoodle
    uhhhDoodle Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Love this thread!! ^_^
  • FitGeekery
    FitGeekery Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    prjnwnf168gy.jpg

Nearly the same as yesterday but slightly prettier and re-portioned things to make it a bit lighter overall.

@LilSweet2015 The bean curd was from my local Asian mart, although it should be pretty simple to make. Here's the recipe for the Korean Beef, it's really quick to make!

Korean Beef
    • Extra lean ground beef (500g)
    • Minced garlic cloves (6)
    • Freshly grated ginger (1 tbsp.)
    • Sesame oil (1 tbsp.)
    • 1/4 c. soy sauce
    • 1/4 c. brown sugar (Next time I'm changing it to 1/8 c.)
    • 1-2 tsp chili flakes
    • 1 c. diced green onions (1/2 to for cooking, 1/2 for garnish)
    1. Mix soy sauce, sugar & chili flakes
    2. Sautee beef with sesame oil, garlic & ginger
    3. Add sauce & green onions and continue to cook until reduced
    4. (Note: Because of the soy sauce I didn't need to add any extra salt)

• SpecialKitty7
    Options
    Here's today's bento. Rice w/ furikake and shrimp sauteed in sesame oil, sugar snap peas, a baybel cheese and almonds. Heavy on the cals today @ 501.
    5vx6ecboj4cw.jpg
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a good tamagoyaki recipe? I've made it once, and it had a surprisingly high amount of sugar in it with the recipe I used. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I'm watching my calories right now, so I can't eat something like that too often.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a good tamagoyaki recipe? I've made it once, and it had a surprisingly high amount of sugar in it with the recipe I used. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I'm watching my calories right now, so I can't eat something like that too often.

Reduce the amount of sugar and make it more savory item? That's what I do. Or you can use sweetener substitute like stevia...

• mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Swiftlet66 wrote: »

Reduce the amount of sugar and make it more savory item? That's what I do. Or you can use sweetener substitute like stevia...

You can omit the sugar in any Tamagoyaki recipe. The slightly bitter tasted that stevia has wouldn't complement the tamagoyaki very much.

You'll find that the Japanese like sweeter meat flavours than most Westerner's. I'm not a fan of the sweet egg flavour either (plus there's the caloric issue as well). I use this recipe, but just omit the sugar used. If I'm really hard on my cals for the day, I'll also not add the mirin, but make up the volume with extra water or half water/half soy.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    munkeyfunk wrote: »
    Hnnnnghhh

Was that your manly squee in response to how awesome our lunches are? If so, squee away. XD
  • mangrothian
    Options

@pronetocrash91 as everyone else said, feel free to join us with just some gladware / tupperware. Collecting the cutsie boxes is addictive, so it's always good to start slow ;)
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    munkeyfunk wrote: »
    Hnnnnghhh

Was that your manly squee in response to how awesome our lunches are? If so, squee away. XD

HAHAHA! That totally made my day :naughty: