Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    His and hers lunches today! Mine is on the left. Mango Chipotle Turkey wraps in the Gem wraps.

looking at this is making me hungry...I left my bento at home by mistake today :-(
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Scrounged together a bento of leftover couscous, shrimp, edamame, and apple slices
    zddc03q11e23.jpg
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Scrounged together a bento of leftover couscous, shrimp, edamame, and apple slice

I love making scrounged bentos. It makes me feel more resourceful and less wasteful. And they still taste just as good :)
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Got some new containers, an actual Bento Box, 3 layer, a FitFresh one with a big bottom layer, an ice pack and 2 top portions, and some salt and pepper shakers to go for the hubby, as I have a Tupperware one and he has nothing. I ordered some vegetable cutters and egg molds and silicone cups, that won't be in til Tuesday! Darn business days!!

Yup, definitely another convert. My bento domination plans are running according to schedule. Excellent! *evil finger tapping*
  • PixieGoddess
    Options
    Got some new containers, an actual Bento Box, 3 layer, a FitFresh one with a big bottom layer, an ice pack and 2 top portions, and some salt and pepper shakers to go for the hubby, as I have a Tupperware one and he has nothing. I ordered some vegetable cutters and egg molds and silicone cups, that won't be in til Tuesday! Darn business days!!

Yup, definitely another convert. My bento domination plans are running according to schedule. Excellent! *evil finger tapping*

2399240-0769006304-tumbl.gif
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    But the seeds were planted long ago! LOL I used to make all manner of ornate fruit salads and trays! It's in my nature! :smiley:
  • mangrothian
    Options

LOL! Exactly what I was aiming for
    But the seeds were planted long ago! LOL I used to make all manner of ornate fruit salads and trays! It's in my nature! :smiley:
    Well we all have a little bit of the dark bento side in us, yours was just closer to the surface ;)
  • mangrothian
    Options
    12fwxw20bwly.jpg
    I've pretty much had the same Bento the past two days, I've just been to tired/lazy/frantic/meh (pick one and it's probably correct), to post the pic

pepper pork, rice, umeboshi and veg, coming in at 430 cals. Obviously other munchies as well, but I forgot to add them to the picture, because reasons ^_^
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    My lunch for Monday 22MAR15. MFP says 576 calories.
    Just got a new job, so I can finally use my bentos.

Top box (separate Rubbermaid) strawberries & an apple.
    Bottom of bento (right) baby carrots and guacamole (which went in the cup this morning).
    Top of bento (left) mini bell pepper, mini whole wheat tortilla, sliced turkey, swiss cheese, mayo.

And I made a Hello Kitty bag to carry it. :smiley:
    I have different bags for my other boxes. They'll be making appearances in other pictures.

2015%2003%2022%20bento_zpsyyht95lp.jpg
  • MKEgal
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What do you guys use to eat your bentos with? Do you use a fork or chopsticks?
    Depends on the food. Today's was all finger food.
    Tomorrow I'm packing a fork.
    Sometimes I'll have chopsticks.
  • MKEgal
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Lunch for Tues., 24MAR. MFP says 391 calories. (Yikes! That seems really low.)
    Top of box, pear & strawberries.
    Bottom of box, pasta with chicken, mushrooms, onion, broccoli, tomato, carrot, bell pepper, asiago.
    Each half is 700 ml.
    The bag is really a purple batik; not sure why it's showing up as blue.

2015%2003%2024%20bento_zpsi8uhx2di.jpg
  • cindytw
    Options

LOL! Exactly what I was aiming for
    Well we all have a little bit of the dark bento side in us, yours was just closer to the surface ;)

True! It was just tying to come out! :blush:
  • cindytw
    Options
    My first attempt at egg molds was a disaster! How do you all do them?? I must say part of the issue is I had too fresh of eggs. But still I would like input on methods.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    My first attempt at egg molds was a disaster! How do you all do them?? I must say part of the issue is I had too fresh of eggs. But still I would like input on methods.

I defer to the other regulars on this thread for that one. I'm horrible at using the egg moulds. I just marinate mine and leave them in their natural shaped glory.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Two random bento pics I had on my cell phone.

They are not very bento-y but they are very yummy :D

748v8epf1zwu.jpg
    kxt22mncix9u.jpg
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options

I use eggs that are at least a week old, poke a hole in the bottom prior to cooking, peel as hot as you can handle (i use yellow dish gloves because i'm a baby) stuff in the wet mold and drop the mold in icewater for a "while". I actually leave them in the molds in the fridge until I'm ready for them.

My method of cooking the eggs (not sure if it matters) is bring cold water to a boil with the eggs in there, boil for about a minute, cover and turn off heat for around 10 minutes.

• PixieGoddess
    Options
    Today's bento! Very much like yesterday's! :p Leftover chicken fajitas, couscous, edamame, apple slices, and almonds. Coming in at 325 calories, according to MFP.
    kpgxizosqt9k.jpg
  • mangrothian
    Options
    I may have been extremely lazy last night and not made my bento >_>

Well, not lazy, but I was so tired when I got home that I sat down on the couch and watched about 5 episodes of "comic book men" with my husband, and freaked out when I realised it was bedtime.

It's my own fault that I'm a sad panda today
  • cindytw
    Options
    @Specialkitty7, thanks! I do about the same method to boil, but I have not poked them previously. I do think part of the issue was that they were too new and they were a tad bit undercooked so that probably didn't help!
  • madiao
    madiao Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Walking through the shops today and found a new bento box in a shop that I didn't even think sold lunch boxes. So excited!

Does anyone else get this excited about new lunch boxes? Hehe :smiley: