Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• keenercam
    keenercam Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I have a stash in my freezer of 4 ounce chicken breast portions with all different seasonings (balsamic, Italian, garlic, onion, teriyaki). I also have mini turkey meatloaves (about 4 oz each - mix of lean ground turkey, oats, shredded carrots, and egg whites to bind), black bean burgers (1/2 burger in each baggie), turkey burgers (1/2 burger in each patty). I also have portions of brown rice, brown rice/quinoa mix, and jasmine rice.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    rentrikin wrote: »
    I have been 'bento-ing' for years. I have several bento boxes as well as some divided boxes I got from walmart. I usually use leftovers from dinner, which is a huge money saver, as well as keeping some foods on hand just for my bento box.

Pictures or it didn't happen :p

If that's the case, my meatballs in sauce, onigiri and veggies didn't happen. Nor did my home-made salsa, laughing cow cheese and salada biscuits. And that makes me sad.... :'(

Ha! I wish the calories didn't happen either. But, I'm pretty sure if no one sees you eat it, the calories lose all impact. B)
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    rentrikin wrote: »
    I have been 'bento-ing' for years. I have several bento boxes as well as some divided boxes I got from walmart. I usually use leftovers from dinner, which is a huge money saver, as well as keeping some foods on hand just for my bento box.

Pictures or it didn't happen :p

If that's the case, my meatballs in sauce, onigiri and veggies didn't happen. Nor did my home-made salsa, laughing cow cheese and salada biscuits. And that makes me sad.... :'(

Ha! I wish the calories didn't happen either. But, I'm pretty sure if no one sees you eat it, the calories lose all impact. B)

Hmm, I better start eating lunch in the conference room, sitting in the corner, with my eyes shut. Then I'll go and have some icecream.

Our fridge and cupboards are looking pretty Mother Hubbard at the moment (too many long work hours to have time to grocery shop the past week or so), so my bento isn't really a bento today. I have a small amount of salad with some chicken in a small box, some fruit and a Vegemite and cheese sarnie (yay vegemite!). It looked so sad I can't even bring myself to take a photo, I really can't :(
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    3bu37.jpg

love this thread :-) I take a bento style lunch regularly to work which also includes my morning and afternoon snacks so thought I'd join in and share

Today: 2 hard boiled eggs sliced, prawns & pimientos rojos with chilli and lime quinoa & basmati rice, carrot & yellow pepper with crunchy peanut butter, cantaloupe melon, red grapes & 2 small passion fruits. (791cals. 59P/85C/22F.)
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Ok I finally broke down and got some of these off Amazon. I have no idea how often I will use them but they are just too good looking to pass up. We do religious conferences a few times a year and other all day shopping trips so I am hoping to use them at least once a month or so. Because of food allergies and diet restrictions we take our lunches when we are gone all day.

Even got the egg molds and cute animal cutters even tho we are all adults. Using pinterest to find LCHF bento boxes we can eat. Hope I can post some good looking pics here in the near future.
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    misschoppo wrote: »
    3bu37.jpg

love this thread :-) I take a bento style lunch regularly to work which also includes my morning and afternoon snacks so thought I'd join in and share

Today: 2 hard boiled eggs sliced, prawns & pimientos rojos with chilli and lime quinoa & basmati rice, carrot & yellow pepper with crunchy peanut butter, cantaloupe melon, red grapes & 2 small passion fruits. (791cals. 59P/85C/22F.)

Amazing looking lunch! I apparently have never seen a real live passion fruit before because i was hoping you'd tell us what those things were :blush: Thanks for sharing!

• mangrothian
    edited March 2015
    Options
    3bu37.jpg

Amazing looking lunch! I apparently have never seen a real live passion fruit before because i was hoping you'd tell us what those things were :blush: Thanks for sharing!

I didn't realise that passionfruit were kinda rare as a fruit still :/ Always been common for me growing up. And the lunch looks delish - it made me want prawns for my next bento.

Also, it's a bit belated, but happy Pi day! The first one is a chicken and leek shepherds pie (made at the husband's request). The second were my experimental sweet pies; a matcha biscuit pastry case filled with citrus and raspberry curd. They may look messy, but they tasted awesome. I'm a sucker for sour-sweet desserts, so trying not to shove my head face first into a bowl of raspberry curd was hard.
    1j7dcn6l5on2.jpg
    5mam9muz3azw.jpg
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Also, bento for tomorrow. Some of my veggies were looking too sad to blanch, so I had to change my routine:
    ru5td32tpnzc.jpg
    Today's lunch is prawns with asparagus, carrot and golden squash stir fried in sesame oil, ginger and coriander with rice and a salmon furikake (~430cal). I've also got some homemade salsa (my husband made it on a whim, and it's awesome. No idea what's in it though :s ), a laughing cow cheese and a Salada biscuit (~115cal). Of course, my usual yoghurt and fruit is there as well.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options

I can only get them at one particular little stall on my local market & I buy a box every week. They really help with my fibre intake as I'm always low on it & these pack around 2g each for next to no cals and they are delicious :smile: I eat around 2-4 a day

Also, bento for tomorrow. Some of my veggies were looking too sad to blanch, so I had to change my routine:

Today's lunch is prawns with asparagus, carrot and golden squash stir fried in sesame oil, ginger and coriander with rice and a salmon furikake (~430cal). I've also got some homemade salsa (my husband made it on a whim, and it's awesome. No idea what's in it though :s ), a laughing cow cheese and a Salada biscuit (~115cal). Of course, my usual yoghurt and fruit is there as well.

Main lunch box looks so tasty. I love anything with prawns :smiley:

• mangrothian
    Options
    Happy Monday people! (I'm trying to say that without sarcasm, but my Monday was long and boring :'( )

My lunches are getting hodge podge (work hours are getting too long to do a decent shop right now). I'm digging through the older pre-packs in my freezer, and pulling stuff out of my cupboard. It's times like these I'm glad I have an essentials stash that I've built up.
    vuhk2wihijl2.jpg

- 125g nectarine (70 cal)
    - matcha chocolate pocky (70cal)

Pink container (175cal):
    - 160g greek yoghurt
    - cinnamon
    - Raspberry curd (leftover from pi day)
    ** I've just realised that this container now looks like a mouldy pokeball...

Lunch container (475cal):
    - 180g minute steak (marinated in ponzu sauce and sesame oil)
    - Blanched veg
    - Seasoned rice and pickled plums

Snack boxes (300cal)
    - salada biscuits
    - 25g peanut butter
    - laughing cow cheese
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Finally got a bento again!! Leftover steak and quinoa in the small tier; onigiri, shrimp, edamame, and steak sauce in the large tier. And I finally remembered to bring some nori strips to eat with my onigiri :3

ktevju3s00hm.jpg

This very protein-heavy bento comes in at 538 calories (counting a strip nori) as opposed to my normal ~300cal bentos.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I have been slacking on my bento soooo bad! But I bought some more rice to make onigiri, kiddo is already addicted to them just that fast LoL!

I was at Bed, Bath & Beyond today though, and out of curiosity I checked out the stove ware, and they have regular and cast iron 5" square pans that would be PERFECT for tamagoyaki! And they were only $10

Just wanted to let you all know about it!!! =D
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Finally got a bento again!! Leftover steak and quinoa in the small tier; onigiri, shrimp, edamame, and steak sauce in the large tier. And I finally remembered to bring some nori strips to eat with my onigiri :3

This very protein-heavy bento comes in at 538 calories (counting a strip nori) as opposed to my normal ~300cal bentos.

nyaw, I want a hello kitty sauce cup! *pouts*
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options

nyaw, I want a hello kitty sauce cup! *pouts*

I got a set of them (half blue, half pink) years ago on ebay :3
  • SpecialKitty7
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I had time to make a bento. So, although it's not much different than my "usual" I wanted to show off my new Hello Kitty bento :smile: I have a new HK bento bag too, but since I'm eating all three meals at my desk until April, I won't be carrying it just yet.

c2k1bep6xn17.jpg

Bottom tier, california mandarin (well most of one anyway) veggie, pork & leek dumplings, top tier, brown rice, edamame & snap peas. Snack box: egg, sesame melba toast, laughing cow cheese, the rest of & 1 more mandarin & strawberries.
    Lunch 510 calories, snacks (this is two snacks) 229 calories.
  • SpecialKitty7
    edited March 2015
    Options
    3bu37.jpg

I didn't realise that passionfruit were kinda rare as a fruit still :/ Always been common for me growing up. And the lunch looks delish - it made me want prawns for my next bento.

At least around here, passionfruit only comes in juice or puree form. I don't know that I've ever seen a whole one before. I just googled how to eat one, and it seems strange that you eat the snot on the inside, and not the shell. If I ever see one, I'll give it a go.

• mangrothian
    Options
    3bu37.jpg

At least around here, passionfruit only comes in juice or puree form. I don't know that I've ever seen a whole one before. I just googled how to eat one, and it seems strange that you eat the snot on the inside, and not the shell. If I ever see one, I'll give it a go.

We get two types here; the smaller ones in @misschoppo 's bento, and another type called 'panamanian passionfruit' which are huge. I think because Australia has the right climate for growing them, nearly everyone knows someone who has a passionfruit vine growing along their fence.

As to not eating the shell - take heed. The shell is equivalent to chowing down on an orange or lime without peeling it :s
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Just found this thread today! Great ideas! I am trying to do Bento style for my husband to try to get him more into healthy eating!
  • mangrothian
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    Just found this thread today! Great ideas! I am trying to do Bento style for my husband to try to get him more into healthy eating!

but what about for yourself?!? Your husband shouldn't get ALL the goodness. I certainly don't let mine ;)
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    @specialkitty7 Those dumplings look amazing!