Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Oooooh that is nice... I LOVE the colour! And also a little thing for liquidy foods..niice!

What brand is it? Where do I send my money to get one? LoL
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    It's on Amazon, just follow the link above. There's a pink one also
  • SnuggleSmacks
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Southwest bento with buffalo burger, white chili beans, honey chipotle mashed Butternut squash with goat cheese, pepper strips, and guacamole.

9kavwekkigsg.jpg
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Ohh! Aye I didnt catch the link first time around! Yes, that looks very cool!! The two layers ones they have look interesting too, and not a bad price! Hrrmm!!!
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Count me in as a lurker transitioning to contributor. I'm a pre-K/K teacher and have long admired some of my student's bento lunches, especially a Japanese girl who brings magazine worthy bentos. I think I have finally picked a something to buy from Bentgo, however I did just discover that I have a Daiso store not too far from me. Oh boy. Stay tuned.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    @sun_fish Welcome! Shakedown for pie is forthcoming.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    There's not many days left to the first of three Pi days for the year. I'm already planning a Pi bento, even though it'll be a Saturday.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Mini shepherd's pie...mini key lime pie...mini spinach pie....I better find some mini pie crusts!
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    There's not many days left to the first of three Pi days for the year. I'm already planning a Pi bento, even though it'll be a Saturday.

Don't you get all messed up for Pi day recording the date dd/mm rather than mm/dd?
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I use the ziplock divided rectangles. cottage cheese in one, fruit in another and a sandwich in the main.
  • mangrothian
    edited March 2015
    Options

Don't you get all messed up for Pi day recording the date dd/mm rather than mm/dd?

Nope. That's why I get it 3 times: US Pi day (3/14), Aus Pi day (31/4) and world Pi day (22/7). More Pie... I mean Pi... I mean both! ;)
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    finally, new bento to share! Bottom tier, soba noodles, sugar snap peas, edamame, top tier the shrimp that didn't fit in the bottom, strawberries and mini peppers. The snack boxes have bagels chips w/ laughing cow cheese, a halo mandarin orange, mini baybel cheese and a somewhat zombiefied bunny egg. The rest of the week is going to look pretty much the same.

2ax3t5avtd8a.jpg
  • essaotearoa1978
    essaotearoa1978 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bump :smile:
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Wow, I think this is the longest I've gone in ages without actually making a Bento. Didn't need one on Friday, none on the weekend, and Monday was a public holiday here. I've made sure that my belly will not be displeased tomorrow. Fresh mini capsicums from mum and dad's veggie garden yay!

I learned two things when making this bento:
    1) Running out of spray olive oil means I make a crap tamagoyaki. I had to place it face up in the box because it doesn't even look like one :(
    2) I'm crap at peeling citrus. We were given some small clementines and veggies from mum and dad's garden this weekend, and I destroyed 3 of them in an attempt to peel. I don't eat citrus very often so I shouldn't be surprised.

9qlieqoarc9m.jpg
    Total cals for the lunch portion: 410
    Fruit container: 58 cal
    Yoghurt container: 110

I can't remember how many Aussies read this thread, but that chocolate protein bar is amazing. It's a brand called "The bar counter" that I picked up in Coles, and the two flavours that I've tried so far are delish! I usually make my 'do not want' face when people say protein bars, but these I'll buy again.
  • ANewCrystal4Life
    ANewCrystal4Life Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It looks like some of you guys are using silicone backing molds as vessels...are these microwaveable?
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    It looks like some of you guys are using silicone backing molds as vessels...are these microwaveable?

Some are, some are not. Always check the specific ones that you have.
  • SpecialKitty7
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Do you mean these? I haven't microwaved them before, but they are microwave safe.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    FINALLY made myself a bento again!! Leftover stir-fry (chicken, rice noodles, veggies) with apple slices, ham, and half a bunny egg:
    yfr79vetlilw.jpg

I brought some soy sauce packets but ended up not needing them. And I'll have another bento exactly like this one later this week...most likely tomorrow if I don't get around to making another one tonight...
  • mangrothian
    Options
    I'll get around to getting a bunny egg mould one of these days....
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Went to the the Japanese store today after work and still no egg molds. Well- they have some for teeeeeny eggs. But not regular eggs. But that didn't stop me from buying some extra bits and bobs and some macha filled chocolates. Yum!

Bentos haven't been picture worthy lately- scrambled eggs, ham and cheese feature heavily along with berries or what ever fruit/veg we have laying about. But still better then McDonalds!