Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    Just found this thread today! Great ideas! I am trying to do Bento style for my husband to try to get him more into healthy eating!

but what about for yourself?!? Your husband shouldn't get ALL the goodness. I certainly don't let mine ;)

Good point! I don't need lunch today we are going out but if I am making one I may as well make 2!
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    @Steph38878, thanks, but these I did not make. They are frozen & are restaurant supply. They are delicious though, and once tax season is over, I plan on making them myself again.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I tried making some with wonton wrappers. They were just kind of okay. Nothing I was proud of. ;) I will try again sometime.
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    Steph38878 wrote: »
    I tried making some with wonton wrappers. They were just kind of okay. Nothing I was proud of. ;) I will try again sometime.

Definitely try again, but get gyoza wrappers. They are round instead of square and they don't get gummy when you steam them. I usually find them frozen in with the other asian supplies. Around here anyway, they are dirt cheap ($1-2 for a pack of 45) so I don't mess with making the dough.
  • NewMeSM75
    Options
    Awe thank you! Yes, mine were gummy for sure.... I enjoy trying new things.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Definitely try again, but get gyoza wrappers. They are round instead of square and they don't get gummy when you steam them. I usually find them frozen in with the other asian supplies. Around here anyway, they are dirt cheap ($1-2 for a pack of 45) so I don't mess with making the dough.

Thanks for pointing this out. This thread has inspired me to try to make some dumplings. I didn't realize there was a difference in the wrappers other than shape. Saved me from a gummy first try.
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    @Steph38878 and @kristydi try this recipe out: http://www.justonecookbook.com/recipes/gyoza/ It's the method I used the first time I made these from scratch. She has a recipe to make gyoza wrappers from scratch if you are so inclined (I'm totally not!)
  • NewMeSM75
    Options
    @specialkitty7. You're the best! Thank you!
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    @Steph38878 and @kristydi try this recipe out: http://www.justonecookbook.com/recipes/gyoza/ It's the method I used the first time I made these from scratch. She has a recipe to make gyoza wrappers from scratch if you are so inclined (I'm totally not!)

That's one of the two recipes I use as well to make my gyoza. I've made my own wrappers once - never again. So much easier to buy the gyoza wrappers yourself.

If you want to use your dumplings in a soup (ramen, soba, etc), wonton wrappers can hold up to the broth better than the gyoza ones can, as the gyoza ones tend to disintegrate in the broth.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    @SpecialKitty7‌ awesome, thanks so much.
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    @specialkitty7. You're the best! Thank you!
    kristydi wrote: »
    @SpecialKitty7‌ awesome, thanks so much.

You're welcome! Enjoy your gyoza adventures :D

• mangrothian
    Options
    Yay, hump day is over! Well, for me at least ^_^

Still scrounging around to fill my boxes, especially for a gym mega-bento day. Today is udon noodles with vegetables (asparagus, capsicum, carrot, shiitake mushrooms), ginger, garlic, coriander, ponzu and chili oil, shredded konbu, pork & cabbage dumplings. 600Cal
    nlb85y4nfmg7.jpg
    The snacks are shelled edamame, pocky, nectarine, yoghurt with raspberries, and a mini babybel; approximately 435Cal.

On another note, I can't believe I've run out of soy sauce... I think I'm just going to have to miss a train and go to an Asian grocer tomorrow instead of Saturday.
  • SpecialKitty7
    edited March 2015
    Options

On another note, I can't believe I've run out of soy sauce... I think I'm just going to have to miss a train and go to an Asian grocer tomorrow instead of Saturday.

My hump day just started! I can't believe you can sleep if you're out of soy sauce :o

That udon dish looks amazing though.

• cindytw
    Options
    25n7t8zdvcpf.jpg

My first attempt for lunch for my husband. Ham, cheese, lettuce and dijon mayo wraps (Gem Wraps made of fruits and veggies), string cheese, red grapes, snow peas, and cashews. Got some new containers today for different things. Not too exciting just cheap clearance Lunch Box and a divided dish. Been eyeing Bento boxes for both of us, but we have limited storage already and I could TOTALLY go crazy! :D
  • mangrothian
    Options

My hump day just started! I can't believe you can sleep if you're out of soy sauce :o

That udon dish looks amazing though.

You know, my udon definitely didn't taste as good as I'd hoped it would :( it was like all the flavour got sucked out of it overnight. But that's ok, I ate a doughnut ^_^
    25n7t8zdvcpf.jpg

My first attempt for lunch for my husband. Ham, cheese, lettuce and dijon mayo wraps (Gem Wraps made of fruits and veggies), string cheese, red grapes, snow peas, and cashews. Got some new containers today for different things. Not too exciting just cheap clearance Lunch Box and a divided dish. Been eyeing Bento boxes for both of us, but we have limited storage already and I could TOTALLY go crazy! :D

Sounds good to me. And a normal lunchbox works just as well as any bento box (it's just an excuse for some of us to collect the pretty I'm sure). Whatever those wraps are made of sound awesome (I've never seen anything close to that here)
  • cindytw
    Options
    I was going to try to re-size the pic but I guess I already posted it! The wraps are like a big Fruit Roll-Up but savory flavored. Do you have Fruit Roll-ups even?
  • mangrothian
    Options
    We do, but they're the kiddie kind that just taste like rolled out fruit jubes or something.
  • cindytw
    Options
    Yeah, these are that same type of thing but savory to use as bread replacement. They are a big square, a bit bigger than an egg roll wrapper.
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    Yeah, these are that same type of thing but savory to use as bread replacement. They are a big square, a bit bigger than an egg roll wrapper.

I just googled those, they sound both strange and intriguing! If I ever see them, I'll give them a try!

Oh, looks like I can get something called Origami wraps at Costco, and the gem wraps on Amazon. Any particular flavor to try? Carrot & barbeque both look intriguing.

• mangrothian
    Options
    Yay for my traditional prettified bento! Today's udon was dismal, and if it wasn't for the fact that I was so hungry, I probably wouldn't have eaten it.
    g6601zej8oze.jpg
    The lunchbox is around 500Cal, and contains 2 marinated eggs, redwine vinegar chicken, two shiso onigiri and my normal mix of veg. The snacks are a laughing cow cheese with crackers, raspberries with yoghurt, and an onigiri to have before my night class. Considering it's a gym day it's low for me, but I have ramen and beer after class ^_^