Options
    u33yp1scbfng.jpg
    Lunch today:

Layer 1: green chile sausage, carrots, almonds, tomatoes, and broccoli

Layer 2: strawberries, raspberries, Gorgonzola, and salad mix
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    @sagj looks like a yummy lunch and do you eat your salad mix without any dressing?

Hehe, I think we've just confused every non-Australian in here. ^_^

Yep I am lost but at least I know who Tom Cruise is, that counts, I think?

And hubby forgot his lunch, but I hope he picks it up later. Leftover skinny taste Asian fried rice with chicken. d01617b34a47e488a14b7ee3e6acaa8e.png
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    @sagj looks like a yummy lunch and do you eat your salad mix without any dressing?

I use dressing, I just didn't list it this morning as I wasn't sure which I wanted :). I'm leaning toward the honey red wine vinaigrette that I made earlier this week (added plus is it is here at work already ;) )
  • sagj
    Options
    Oh, I got a new bento in the mail yesterday! It looks HUGE compared to my bunny box. It is ~20% bigger but it looks like more. Now I have a box for weight lifting days though :blush:

I'll have pictures soon!
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I have the same brunch bento as Monday, but the ham and hashbrowns didn't get tossed this time, and the egg is bear-shaped :)
    yodnurruz6if.jpg
  • madiao
    madiao Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have the same brunch bento as Monday, but the ham and hashbrowns didn't get tossed this time, and the egg is bear-shaped :)
    yodnurruz6if.jpg

Yuuuummmm!!! That looks really tasty!

• lnrussell195
    lnrussell195 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yummy!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I've stopped making a bento box for lunch since doing low carb, does anyone here make low carb bento boxes? I suppose i just need to be a little more creative!
    I have no pics, but I have done tuna salad and celery sticks, hardboiled eggs, nuts, cut up veggies and fruit but you can omit whatever. There are some low cab pics on here, just think about omitting the rice or using Caulirice.
  • cindytw
    Options
    Narcissora wrote: »
    I tried the mango chipotle gemwrap just now, and here is a little critique:

It was super tasty - it tasted strongly of mango and had a smokey note to it. It really enhanced my wrap. It was kind of strange eating a sandwich wrapped in a mango fruit roll-up, but I got over that whole notion very fast. It was only 15 calories, which is a huge win in my book.

What I didn't like - it got a little bit soggy. I put it together last night, and sitting in the bento overnight made it a little mushy. I made sure not to use very liquidy ingredients, but the wrap itself still started to disintegrate. If I used a dressing or a tomato wth the pulp, I think it would have completely fallen apart.

I have five more of these things, so you will be seeing more of them from me in the near future.

Does anyone know how long they last after the package is open?

What I do if I need to make lunch at night is put the ingredients separately. I just rolled up the wrap tight in saran wrap. Then when I am thinking about lunch, assemble the wrap and then let it sit on my desk for a bit before eating it. They are better if they sit a little while.

As for how long they last, I had a package in my pantry for a year! I lay them flat under other things and forgot they were in there! Still fine!
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thank you @cindytw and thank you @mangrothian :) I will take you up on your ideas and actually looking back through them there are quite a few low carb.

Someone mentioned it depends what I deem as low carb, my goal each day is under 100g so I can sneak a bit of 'real' carb in there if I really wanted! :)
  • cindytw
    Options
    Thank you @cindytw and thank you @mangrothian :) I will take you up on your ideas and actually looking back through them there are quite a few low carb.

Someone mentioned it depends what I deem as low carb, my goal each day is under 100g so I can sneak a bit of 'real' carb in there if I really wanted! :)

Then anything I post is good and a lot of the hings here are! I am ALWAYS under 100g, I just haven't posted much.
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Then I shall add you as a friend @cindytw and steal all your ideas from your diary!
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I had lunch plans yesterday, and I think I have lunch plans again tomorrow, so today is my last bento until next week. I have so much going on this weekend (as far as feasting events go), so I tried to go quite low-cal today. As I was adding the carrots, I had less than 300 calories, so I added a little bit of M&M's for additional calories and happiness.

yd7j1nezqg0d.jpg

Mango chipotle GemWrap filled with chicken, rice, black beans, and salsa; tomato; carrots; M&M's
  • Narcissora
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »

What I do if I need to make lunch at night is put the ingredients separately. I just rolled up the wrap tight in saran wrap. Then when I am thinking about lunch, assemble the wrap and then let it sit on my desk for a bit before eating it. They are better if they sit a little while.

As for how long they last, I had a package in my pantry for a year! I lay them flat under other things and forgot they were in there! Still fine!

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to try a few more combinations of pre-prepared wraps to see if any of them end up soft but not mushy... But then I might start having to take "de-constructed" wraps to work... I just don't know how to make that look pretty in a bento
  • sagj
    edited May 2015
    Options
    s4j2bc3s2s1w.jpg
    Today's lunch:

Layer one: green chile sausage, almonds, colby jack cheese stick. mushrooms, carrots, and broccoli

Layer two: mango, strawberry flowers, raspberries, gorgonzola, and spring mix. Serving it with honey red wine vinaigrette for the salad and a little dance for the broccoli/mushroom/carrots
  • Narcissora
    Options
    sagj wrote: »
    s4j2bc3s2s1w.jpg
    Today's lunch:

Layer one: green chile sausage, almonds, colby jack cheese stick. mushrooms, carrots, and broccoli

Layer two: mango, strawberry flowers, raspberries, gorgonzola, and spring mix. Serving it with honey red wine vinaigrette for the salad and a little dance for the broccoli/mushroom/carrots

I love how you laid out the raspberries - very pretty!

Where did you get the cute little winky and squinty eye picks? I want to turn my veggies into personalities too!
  • sagj
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Serving it with honey red wine vinaigrette for the salad and a little dance for the broccoli/mushroom/carrots

Dance was suppose to be ranch, but dancing with my vegetables sounds AWESOME!

49cicygf7nyz.png

Where did you get the cute little winky and squinty eye picks? I want to turn my veggies into personalities too!

Thank you! I got the picks here! I've only used these two so far; there are some bigger ones in the pack. I love how cute my happy-eyed food is! And when I'm feeling a little feisty...

dog54b29ndm3.jpg

Bwahahaha!
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Serving it with honey red wine vinaigrette for the salad and a little dance for the broccoli/mushroom/carrots

Dance was suppose to be ranch, but dancing with my vegetables sounds AWESOME!

Thank you! I got the picks here! I've only used these two so far; there are some bigger ones in the pack. I love how cute my happy-eyed food is! And when I'm feeling a little feisty...

Bwahahaha!

Lol. Maybe I need to start doing some C&H charaben with rice. I love the series of snowman comics the author did.

Today I've done something a little different, along with my usual yoghurt and frozen cherries. Its getting cold (ish - I know my idea of cold is not as cold as most places, considering I've never even seen snow before), so I've been feeling like soup.

The type of soup I felt like is one better made fresh, I cut up a whole lot of fresh vegetables, and a bag of pork stirfy pieces which I've added soy sauce & wasabi powder to (the pork was frozen when the sauce was added and it was put in the box and it's been in my cooler bag since), and made a miso ball to use as stock. Boil the kettle, add all the veg, meat and stock in a bowl, and then microwave.
    jxlhcch1uuqs.jpg
    If I remember, I'll take a photo of the finished product as well. I'm guessing this classifies as a low carb one too, since there's no starchy veg, no noodles and no rice.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    If I remember, I'll take a photo of the finished product as well. I'm guessing this classifies as a low carb one too, since there's no starchy veg, no noodles and no rice.

Ugh, I forgot. A zombie would starve on the state of my brain after I've gone for a run, and all I could think about was refuelling it.
  • cindytw
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to try a few more combinations of pre-prepared wraps to see if any of them end up soft but not mushy... But then I might start having to take "de-constructed" wraps to work... I just don't know how to make that look pretty in a bento

Easy! Put the fillings on a lettuce leaf, put a chicken, tuna or egg salad in a silicone cup with a garnish, lay out tomato slices prettily over top, Put green onions on there cut on a bias so they are pretty...