Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I know I said I wouldn't be doing bentos for a while due to pre-planned lunch events, but I have been getting so off-track with my diet the past week that I had to really plan out my food in advance. Lunch is provided by my office tomorrow, but I put together a bento for dinner tomorrow so that I know what I am going to eat and I know that I will stick to something healthy.

2493ltkjemvo.jpg
    I found a half-used box of whole wheat lasagna noodles in the pantry, so I made a bunch of spinach-filled lasagna roll ups. (That's the weird tomato-y noodley looking thing in the small box). Also, strawberries and a salad with tomato and feta.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Narcissora wrote: »
    I found a half-used box of whole wheat lasagna noodles in the pantry, so I made a bunch of spinach-filled lasagna roll ups. (That's the weird tomato-y noodley looking thing in the small box). Also, strawberries and a salad with tomato and feta.
    So you made cannelloni then (the rolled up version of lasagne)? :D I think its great idea; were the pieces firm enough to just pick up with a fork by the time you ate it (ie, no knife/spoon required)?

Monday bento. Hopefully I wont be working late nights this week, so for the first time in ages I should have a full week of bentos at work. Yay!
    awpbt4b0vaok.jpg
    Today's is two onigiri (i mooshed up an umeboshi with some mirin, and mixed it through the rice with the shiso furikake), some mini snags cooked with a spicy sauce glaze and a kale coleslaw mix that I impulse purchased at the supermarket. Totals 550 Cals. There's also my yoghurt and some starburst (another impulse buy - I went shopping when I was hungry :( ) to have for brekky/snacks.
  • Narcissora
    Options
    So you made cannelloni then (the rolled up version of lasagne)? :D I think its great idea; were the pieces firm enough to just pick up with a fork by the time you ate it (ie, no knife/spoon required)?

I thought cannelloni used a specific type of pasta? Maybe not. I don't do Italian often, so if it isn't spaghetti, chances are I might not know what it is. But yes, I ate my pasta creation with a fork only :)

Also, I looked for umeboshi at Wegmans (they have a pretty good Asian food section, considering it is just a regular grocery store), but I couldn't find it. I'm really curious because you use them a lot, and I want to try them out.

Also also, can you please pass an orange starburst over to me?
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

I thought cannelloni used a specific type of pasta? Maybe not. I don't do Italian often, so if it isn't spaghetti, chances are I might not know what it is. But yes, I ate my pasta creation with a fork only :)

Also, I looked for umeboshi at Wegmans (they have a pretty good Asian food section, considering it is just a regular grocery store), but I couldn't find it. I'm really curious because you use them a lot, and I want to try them out.

You can either make cannelloni by rolling up lasagne sheets, or by buying the pre-made tubes. As to the umeboshi, they're something that I only ever seem to find at specialty asian grocers (the English term is pickled plum fyi). I do use them a lot, but I do warn you that they are a very sour, acquired taste. I love them, but they're not for everybody.

My daddy always said I was too sweet, so I guess I need sour stuff to balance me out :D My husband on the other hand, tells me sour is as sour does ;)

And I'll only give you the orange starburst if you exchange it for a yellow one...
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    So you are sweet AND sour; people love that combo! ;)
    48dl56w8s0de.jpg

My lunch today:

Layer one: green chile sausage, olives, grapes and mango

Layer two: corn and kale/cabbage salad with white cheese and shrimp. Served with honey red wine vinaigrette

Happy Monday all!

• FloraSin
    FloraSin Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It took a really long time, but I packed my boyfriend a smurf themed bento when they finally launched a game he'd been working on (ios programmer). Can't find a picture, but I'll keep looking and post it if I do. The smurf wasn't blue, he was brown because he was made of chicken flavoured quinoa. I cut a provolone slice to be his clothing. Cut up a chicken breast to look like a house shape. Background of Kale.

The colours were wrong, but the loves was there and he had a nice healthy salad. All he had to do was cut up the chicken breast and mix it all up.

I fell in love with bento a few years back. Started with a hot dog octopus (easy and awesome. Cephalopods are my favourite) and never made lunch the same again.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Okay, today's lunch and snack bento: Snacks are a somewhat smooshed bunny egg, roasted almonds and strawberries. Lunch is broccoli, jasmine rice, pork dumplings & two green tea milk caramels (the things that look like green Starburst) . Both are kind of on lighter side today as I am expecting a big dinner tonight.

5flzu9fl3cqx.jpg
    cg6atugpol6o.jpg
  • Narcissora
    Options
    FloraSin wrote: »
    Cephalopods are my favourite

you are awesome.

I hope you post pictures!
  • allofme32
    allofme32 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    wow I need to do this or portion control!!! It is also so visually pleasing to the eye.
  • SpecialKitty7
    edited May 2015
    Options
    allofme32 wrote: »
    wow I need to do this or portion control!!! It is also so visually pleasing to the eye.

It's quite fun actually. Since we're limited to how much we can fit in our box, it limits the calories (somewhat automatically) and by making it pretty and with variety it helps keep you sated.

Grab a tupperware/gladware and give it a go? It doesn't hurt to try :smiley:

• Narcissora
    Options
    allofme32 wrote: »

This is why I started doing bentos about four years ago - it was my solution to portion control while losing weight. And you don't need to buy fancy boxes or anything to try it out. Just pull out last night's leftovers, some fruits and veggies, and some Tupperware and have fun!

This is a breakfast, lunch, and snack bento I made before I started posting here. It is all in Tupperware and uses leftovers and whatever else I could find in the fridge.

fdao95lqs0z7.jpg

The small container at the bottom was breakfast: pineapple, vanilla Greek yogurt, raspberries, and cinnamon.

The big container was lunch: leftover brown rice, leftover mushu pork stir fry, blanched broccoli and green beans, and mini red bell pepper rings.

The other small container was a snack box: heirloom tomatoes and mini dill pickles.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

You can either make cannelloni by rolling up lasagne sheets, or by buying the pre-made tubes. As to the umeboshi, they're something that I only ever seem to find at specialty asian grocers (the English term is pickled plum fyi). I do use them a lot, but I do warn you that they are a very sour, acquired taste. I love them, but they're not for everybody.

My daddy always said I was too sweet, so I guess I need sour stuff to balance me out :D My husband on the other hand, tells me sour is as sour does ;)

And I'll only give you the orange starburst if you exchange it for a yellow one...
    I saw them at the health food store and WHY did I put them back?? I should have tried them! I like sour! Next time I go, I will get them! I eat raw lemons and canberries!
  • boognish1972
    boognish1972 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I use a bento box for my 7 year old's lunch at school, but typically just bring leftovers from our previous night's dinner for myself, in whatever container I happened to put it in.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I was super excited to have a BRUNCH BENTO today!! I ran a 5k yesterday with some friends, and had leftover ham and hasbrowns from our post-run brunch. (Probably b/c we had granola bars, bananas, hot dogs, and beer at the event.) Hashbrowns, ham, and an egg-shaped boiled egg with grapes, banana slices, and kiwi slices. The hashbrowns and ham were a little tossed, but I loved it! I have another prepped in the fridge for later this week! :3
    rllhqla0mffm.jpg
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    Tomorrow's bento made with planned overs: cheese, black beans, lean ground beef w/ taco sauce, yellow bell peppers, carrots, avocado and Italian dressing in the pot. Total = 454 cals.

qyl09q92w69t.jpg
  • Narcissora
    Options
    I'm super excited for tomorrow's lunch! A while back you guys were talking about gemwraps, and I got really curious and had to try them out. I will let you know how it is tomorrow :)

hij6r19hsok7.jpg

Mango chipotle gemwrap filled with spicy chicken salad, lettuce, and tomato; strawberries with goat cheese; gyoza; rice with nori komi furikake; and a little fishy of soy sauce.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Work food for tomorrow. Salad (butter lettuce, radishes, cucumbers, and carrots. Sprinkled with parmesan. Also, grape tomatoes and a few bits of cheddar. The other container is snackie foods. Heart shaped hardboiled eggs, smoked almonds, apple, and cheese.

do0809x4ehfw.jpg
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I've stopped making a bento box for lunch since doing low carb, does anyone here make low carb bento boxes? I suppose i just need to be a little more creative!
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Today my bento was green salad with a can of tuna, cottage cheese and Greek yogurt. No pics, but it was pretty low carb and sort of filling (I'm afraid I'll always be hungry unless I eat a whole pizza lol)
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I just made my first bento box today, after getting the idea from mfp a few months ago and hunting around for some accessories and things. Veggie Cutters are from Daiso, and Rice moulds and Fuel bento box from ebay. Cheers for the awesome idea.

24v7ihe.jpg