mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    o0f4w2ufmsac.gif
    kducky22 wrote: »
    Oh no! I gave away my "lurker" status!

I mostly lurk too. :)

Nah, you're beyond lurker status now. You've posted too much ^_^

I have a chili con carne bento today. Not really picture worthy tbh. But I didn't poison myself when I ate it for dinner last night, so I'm sure it'll taste good.

@kducky22 Yay more lurkers! You've come out of the woodwork now.... bring pie.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    LoL those kitty gifts are too much!!!

I *still* havn't made it to the Asian grocery yet!!! Work and work and well, tonight drinks after work. They all keep getting in the way. This weekend, for SURE!!!
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    LoL those kitty gifts are too much!!!

I *still* havn't made it to the Asian grocery yet!!! Work and work and well, tonight drinks after work. They all keep getting in the way. This weekend, for SURE!!!

I usually go after my Friday night classes. There's an Asian Grocer close by that's open until midnight (at least) on Fridays and Saturdays. The place is always packed. I want my icecream and redbean Taiyaki damnit!
  • madiao
    madiao Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Wow open til midnight, where is this place?? All the Asian grocers near me are only open until 5.30 which doesn't give me enough time to get there any day except Saturday (they're closed on Sundays) :(
  • mangrothian
    Options
    @madaio If you're asking me I'll assume you're from Melbourne(I'm on my iPhone so I can't see your full profile) :) I go to the great eastern grocery (although I think it just changed its name to Zhangs or something ) in the CBD on Russell St between Collins and Bourke. There's another called 'hometown' at the top end of Elizabeth st which opens pretty late most nights as well.

I live in the outer north though, and most of the Asian grocers around there are the same; shutting at 5:30 or 6

• timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    Options

Hers had leftover meatloaf (yes, I make my meatloaf in muffin tins instead of a loaf pan lol) and mashed potatoes with fresh steamed carrots and squash. ]

I've been reading through this amazing thread for the last couple of days, and everything is so helpful for making lunch, but this right here may have just changed my life. I LOVE meatloaf, but am terrible at not eating too much, and freezing this would make it so much easier! Thank you!
  • timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    ...Okay, I got the coding of that quote right, I don't know why it messed up. It's like how whenever I put in a break it puts [26] on the line. Bah!
  • madiao
    Options
    @mangrothian sorry that was directed at you :) I'm over east of Melbourne, might have to make a trip into the city though. The Asian grocers out my way are just too small, never open and stock hardly anything :(

On another note, have a delicious bento for lunch today, didn't have time to take a picture but I have miso chicken, rice, homemade veggie dumplings and broccoli. Can't wait for lunch time today!! :smiley:
  • mangrothian
    Options
    @madiao I don't know how far east you are (I grew up in the SE, and lived and worked in the Glen Waverley / Wantirna for quite a while), but you may just not know where to go. Try the shopping strip behind the Glen Waverley cinemas. There's a few really good grocers there. For the SE, you've got the whole of Springvale to explore ^_^

On another note I left me <insert Australian sounding string of curse words here> bento in the fridge again because I was rushing out of the house late. Teaches me for being too tired to remember to tie my hair up before getting in the shower.
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, i've been meaning to ask. For all the cute cut fruit and veggies, what do you do with the scraps? I ate them. Probably not what you're supposed to do, but i also thought of a veggie cutout/scrap stirfry, all those funky shapes tickled my funny bone.
    I usually weigh out what I'm going to cut into shapes and eat the scraps since I'm accounting for the total weight. Occasionally, if I'm making a lot of cutout veggies (like for daikon and carrot pickles), I'll take all the scraps and throw them in a stir fry. Mostly I just eat them immediately though.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Amerane wrote: »
    Oh yeah, i've been meaning to ask. For all the cute cut fruit and veggies, what do you do with the scraps? I ate them. Probably not what you're supposed to do, but i also thought of a veggie cutout/scrap stirfry, all those funky shapes tickled my funny bone.
    I usually weigh out what I'm going to cut into shapes and eat the scraps since I'm accounting for the total weight. Occasionally, if I'm making a lot of cutout veggies (like for daikon and carrot pickles), I'll take all the scraps and throw them in a stir fry. Mostly I just eat them immediately though.

Mine are fed to my dogs. We give them raw veggies and a small amount of fruit as part of their diet anyway, so it makes it easier for us.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I imagine they would be fine for soups, stews and salads. I'm supposed to have some cutters on the way, but they're taking their time, so it's good to have a plan in place for the scraps.
  • kingw363
    kingw363 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That looks really good, I havent try it. What I do is use a small bowl and fit everything im going to eat in there without making it look gross. Pretty much a big difference from the regular plates. I do tend to fill my plate regardless of size so I'm taking advantage of my weakness and using them to my advantage.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options

Mine are fed to my dogs. We give them raw veggies and a small amount of fruit as part of their diet anyway, so it makes it easier for us.

Yeah, i ate the veggie scraps, fed the dogs the cheese scraps. Once busy season is over, i hope to make many more cute veggie scraps :smiley:

• mangrothian
    Options

Yeah, i ate the veggie scraps, fed the dogs the cheese scraps. Once busy season is over, i hope to make many more cute veggie scraps :smiley:

In my mind, there's no such thing as a cheese scrap... just cheese in my belly. But then again, if I could marry a food, it would be cheese.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    2iwerusr6wn1.jpg

Salsa chicken, rice, zucchini, boiled egg, and baby carrots (I couldn't find my square side boxes soooo I made due with what I had.)

405 calories as pictured. Might take a little light ranch for the carrots.
  • madiao
    Options
    @mangrothian I'm not too far from Glen Waverley and have checked out some of the shops there but its still a bit of a drive to get there. Springvale is even further unfortunately. Oh well, shopping on the weekend will have to do. I wish Coles and Safeway would hurry up and start stocking more "international" foods, they have quite a bit now compared to what they used to but there still a lot they're missing.

Does anyone else make bentos for lunch on the weekend as well as through the week? There is just something so fun and appealing about bentos that makes me want to have one every day! Hehe :)
  • Dragn77
    Options

I've been reading through this amazing thread for the last couple of days, and everything is so helpful for making lunch, but this right here may have just changed my life. I LOVE meatloaf, but am terrible at not eating too much, and freezing this would make it so much easier! Thank you!

Awe!!! Im glad my tip helped!! Yeah, Im all about the muffin tins for baking stuff nowadays. It makes life so much easier!!!

No worries about the quoting lol it always does something strange when I post on my phone, and I end up having to go back a million times to edit it.

• Dragn77
    Options
    madiao wrote: »
    @mangrothian I'm not too far from Glen Waverley and have checked out some of the shops there but its still a bit of a drive to get there. Springvale is even further unfortunately. Oh well, shopping on the weekend will have to do. I wish Coles and Safeway would hurry up and start stocking more "international" foods, they have quite a bit now compared to what they used to but there still a lot they're missing.

Does anyone else make bentos for lunch on the weekend as well as through the week? There is just something so fun and appealing about bentos that makes me want to have one every day! Hehe :)

I totally do bento on the weekends! Thats when I *for sure* do them since I dont always get around to during the week. Its great too cause with kiddo home with me for lunchtime, she can just up and eat whenever shes ready to. No more annoying me with mommie duties to make lunch when Im not remotely hungry. (LoL!!!) Though, they are so much fun to make, that she doesnt mind helping me out in the kitchen now....a first!!!!!

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options

Awe!!! Im glad my tip helped!! Yeah, Im all about the muffin tins for baking stuff nowadays. It makes life so much easier!!!

No worries about the quoting lol it always does something strange when I post on my phone, and I end up having to go back a million times to edit it.

I just bought this box which is great for freezing. It goes directly from the freezer to the microwave, and has a separate cup with lid for either something liquid like soup, or for something you don't want to freeze and microwave (I save it for yogurt and berries). And it's cheap enough to get several and have them ready for days when you didn't have time to pack something fresh.

81Cmp4CU18L._SL1500_.jpg