Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Rice and chicken in the big tier, cut up apple and banana pieces in the other. The bananas browned a little but they weren't as squished as I was afraid.
    3dkzahmj333p.jpg

And this bento ended up being very monochromatic, but....that's what I had available :/
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Rice and chicken in the big tier, cut up apple and banana pieces in the other. The bananas browned a little but they weren't as squished as I was afraid.
    3dkzahmj333p.jpg

And this bento ended up being very monochromatic, but....that's what I had available :/

Your bananas held up quite nicely. Did you do anything special to them to keep them from browning?

• colejkeene
    colejkeene Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I just bought my hubby a box from monbento- can't wait to share my new creations!
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    Oh yeah, i've been meaning to ask. For all the cute cut fruit and veggies, what do you do with the scraps? I ate them. Probably not what you're supposed to do, but i also thought of a veggie cutout/scrap stirfry, all those funky shapes tickled my funny bone.
  • PixieGoddess
    Options
    3dkzahmj333p.jpg

Your bananas held up quite nicely. Did you do anything special to them to keep them from browning?

Nope, just cut them up and dropped them in (along with the leftover pieces, to answer your other question - that's what all the little squares are, and I liked the look of the extra "shapes") However, I had already added some lemon juice to the apple slices, so that might've helped with the bananas too.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I never did make it to the Asian grocery down the street from me... But I just got paid soooooo, I'll be there sooner rather than later! My bentos have been boring as of late, same ol stuff Ive already shown you lol I havent gone grocery shopping yet though.

This week...theres gonna be some changes, I can feel it! ;)
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    3dkzahmj333p.jpg

Nope, just cut them up and dropped them in (along with the leftover pieces, to answer your other question - that's what all the little squares are, and I liked the look of the extra "shapes") However, I had already added some lemon juice to the apple slices, so that might've helped with the bananas too.

I'm generally not anti any foods, but banana's to me have always been bleuargh (that's about the sound I make too if I have to eat one). I won't be giving that one a go ;) Although, if I was ever going to make a charaben bento, I'd consider using bananas just so I could make some minions.
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    I never did make it to the Asian grocery down the street from me... But I just got paid soooooo, I'll be there sooner rather than later! My bentos have been boring as of late, same ol stuff Ive already shown you lol I havent gone grocery shopping yet though.

This week...theres gonna be some changes, I can feel it! ;)

I sense some pretty pictures arriving...
  • mangrothian
    Options
    I might have had some spare time tonight and gone pretty on the Bento...
    wmbsxafren8r.jpg
    Today's is smoked salmon, rice bunnies, blanched veggies, pickle, umeboshi, and a 1 egg tamagoyaki. 475 cal
  • LizN63
    LizN63 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Wow @mangrothian that looks amazing!!
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    @mangrothian‌ That is soo pretty!
    I have been making hubby lunch just not taking pictures. Been tired at night and need to make some foods to freeze on nights for no leftovers bentos. I have been researching recipes for that and I also been trying to plan out some breakfast bentos for my 3 picky eaters. We are going on a trip in two weeks and my oldest is looking forward to the bento, lol!
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    What am awesome bento!!! Look at those bunnies!!!!! And I love smoked salmon, and asparagus...everything in there is a yes. You are so lucky Im not there, I might accidentally eat it for you LoL
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    @mangrothian, what's mixed in those bunnies? But i'm with @Dragn77, everything in there is a win! I never considered sticking smoked salmon in there.
  • mangrothian
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Heh, thanks everyone. I"ve had the bunny shaper for a while, just keep forgetting to use it.

@SpecialKitty7‌ the rice had shiso ume furikake seasoning through it. I think I posted a picture of it a while back. Its a slightly sweet yet slightly salty furikake that I've fallen in love with the taste of. I bought a packet by accident once and haven't looked back.

@HanamiDango I've actually been getting low on my freezer stock as well, except for rice. I need to get some meat supplies soon :( For breakfast bento, I would suggest a hardboiled egg (marinated or not, your choice), wrapped in rice like a large onigiri. With those you can even toast them a little in a lightly oiled pan; use too much oil and the rice will fall off :). The other is tamagoyaki wrapped in rice and then wrapped in a nori sheet. I've done those for a breakfast trip before.

@Dragn77 I don't know about that. I've seen Jet Li use chopsticks as a weapon, and I'm pretty handy with a set of chopsticks :P
  • PixieGoddess
    Options
    My very American bento today: leftover spaghetti with homemade chicken nuggets and the other half of apple and banana pieces
    omg6mmcm01qt.jpg
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    No photo- but it was yummy!
    - Scrambled eggs with ham and cheese and picante sauce in a container.
    - Two cheese wedges and GF bagel chips
    - plum
    - Tuna for a snack

• liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Was running late this morning and asked my daughter if she would like to buy her lunch today. Her answer was: No, you make really nice lunches! So I had to dig trough the fridge to find things that could pas for lunch. Ended up with a tortilla ham role up, apple sauce, shredded carrot and a pudding cup. Not as neat looking today but maybe I can get back into the kitchen tonight.
  • kducky22
    kducky22 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Was running late this morning and asked my daughter if she would like to buy her lunch today. Her answer was: No, you make really nice lunches! So I had to dig trough the fridge to find things that could pas for lunch. Ended up with a tortilla ham role up, apple sauce, shredded carrot and a pudding cup. Not as neat looking today but maybe I can get back into the kitchen tonight.

Parenting Win!

highfive.png
  • kducky22
    kducky22 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Oh no! I gave away my "lurker" status!
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    kducky22 wrote: »

I mostly lurk too. :)
  • PixieGoddess
    edited March 2015
    Options
    kducky22 wrote: »

I mostly lurk too. :)

You can't see me....
    xz5o4sez4hpa.jpg

Side note: no bento for me today :( I was going to make a sandwich bento but a full sandwich will not fit in any of my bento boxes, so I had to just put it in a plastic baggie. I did at least use one of my bento bags for my lunch bag. I have a ham and cheese sandwich, some mustard (in one of my Hello Kitty sauce containers), sweet potato chips, and a boiled egg (which I have already eaten as a snack and it's not even 10am here yet)