Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I found a recipe for chicken and rice muffins that you can play with for any given taste. Really, it boils down to cooked rice, poached chicken, chopped veggies, cheese and eggs baked in a muffin tin. I usually do left overs- tomorrow's box will have tonight's salsa chicken bad rice.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Sorry to multi post so much, but I just remembered to ask something I thought about last night. What do you guys use to eat your bentos with? Do you use a fork or chopsticks? Was curious......

Forks! My skill with chopsticks is extremely limited.
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options

For those who were talking about (and drooling over) small cheeses earlier, look what Trader Joe's has now!!!

fig_05.jpg

WHAAAT?!?!

• liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Sorry to multi post so much, but I just remembered to ask something I thought about last night. What do you guys use to eat your bentos with? Do you use a fork or chopsticks? Was curious......

I would love to learn how to use chopsticks, I don't have any, and can't find them in the store :(
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

I would love to learn how to use chopsticks, I don't have any, and can't find them in the store :(
    Lol, I'd go to your local shopping centre to the food court, and if there's any Asian takeout joints, they usually have disposable chopsticks, so you could grab a few sets.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Yeah, I second picking them up in the hot food area of your local supermarket...! I learned by following the directions on the pack of chopsticks, but nowadays, everything is on youtube!!!

fig_05.jpg

I am so glad Trader Joe's opened up here!!! I'm going to have to check that out...!!!
    kramrn77 wrote: »
    I found a recipe for chicken and rice muffins that you can play with for any given taste. Really, it boils down to cooked rice, poached chicken, chopped veggies, cheese and eggs baked in a muffin tin. I usually do left overs- tomorrow's box will have tonight's salsa chicken bad rice.

If I can make it in a muffin pan, I will do so!!! Awesome for portion control, and also awesome for freezing single servings. And now that I'm doing bento...easy for that too!

• liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    @mangrothian next time I'm at a food court I'll see if I can find some. Thanks!
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Agh I typed out my reply and than push the back button.......

Ok, so I was lazy and did not make my husband a lunch for today. However here is yesterdays. It is probably 750 cals as I was generous on the cheese. The top is a quesadilla with salsa chicken, re-fried beans, pepperjack and colby jack cheese with a side of salsa. The salad is croutons (which need to be put in a baggie as they got air soggy!), lettuce, cheese, carrots, and a small amount of ham with dressing on the side.
    Hubby has been talking about losing weight and building strength/muscle, so his lunches might start getting a better calorie count, but they will still be higher than what I could eat as his calorie intake is higher. Since I eat at home my lunches are normally sandwiches or salads. Today is buttery rice and soy. It has been calling my name for too long.

bd5fb5725e7d7141f648a0fa2ae4f636.png
  • SpecialKitty7
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Wanted to share my non-fancy box and non-fancy ingredient bento for lunch tomorrow. It's a plain old lock-lock tupperware box with saffron rice on the bottom, black beans in the middle and shredded taco beef on the top layer with a cup of cheese (you can see the layers in the bottom right corner. On the side I put the avocado in hopes of it making it to lunch w/o rotting. Standard snack bento of laughing cow cheese & bagel chips and an apple.

h73d39n0s7ap.jpg

oh wow, just realized how crappy the picture is. well, you get the idea anyway.
  • Dragn77
    Options
    Oh that looks good! Way fancier than I do!! lol Squeeze just a bit of lemon juice on the avocado to keep it from browning...!! =D

I want to get cutters to make my vegetables look cute too Hanami!!! That looks tasty.. Good idea too about quesadillas. I used to eat them dang near every day as a snack when I was a teenager. Don't think Ive made them since then!!!
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    new sushi place opened up near work and they had these supper tasty "lunch bento" boxes. everything was home made and so good...and only 5$!

2015-02-27%2012.15.03_zpsqtqdnpbj.jpg
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    Wow! 5 bucks is amazing, and that looks really tasty too!

On a side note, my avocado made it! I spritzed with some lime juice as I am out of lemon and stuffed a plastic sandwich baggie in the container to take up the head space, and it was perfect :smile:
  • Dragn77
    Options
    YaY! Lime has a nice tang to it too..subtle but I'm sure it tasted yum. I love avocado..!
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    YaY! Lime has a nice tang to it too..subtle but I'm sure it tasted yum. I love avocado..!

Me too, problem is, it's perfect for about a minute. One minute too raw, next minute too ripe :smiley: I need to find a way to make it bento proof!

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    @SpecialKitty7 I love avocado too, but never seem to eat it all before it spoils, so I started buying instead boxes of the 100 calorie snack-packs of guacamole instead. They're great for bento, easy to make room for, and very tasty, without worry of browning.
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    @SpecialKitty7 I love avocado too, but never seem to eat it all before it spoils, so I started buying instead boxes of the 100 calorie snack-packs of guacamole instead. They're great for bento, easy to make room for, and very tasty, without worry of browning.

Where are those at? The refrigerator section at the grocery store? That sounds amazing!

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yes, usually Moe's or Wholly Guacamole brands. I found a huge box at my local BJ's warehouse (like a Costco). They look like this:

dev-guac-large-snackspicy.png
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!

A lot of the single serve foods like that aren't really available here, are super expensive, full of sugar as a preservative or they're part of mix packs which I don't want :( It'd be nice to have the option for stuff like that when I wanted to buy it. I guess that's why I make so much of my stuff from scratch.

@emmiebaby That looks delish. Wish I could get something like that near here!

Back to my Bento's after a little bit of food gluttony. The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival kicked off this weekend. I managed to stay away from the sweets provenders, but not from the Wine and cheese. My belly was extremely happy.

Monday's Bento:
    f2emf9razo9d.jpg
    My standard yoghurt & fruit for the morning and fruit for the afternoon. Today's box has steak marinated in ponzu sauce, rice, veggies, pickes, a 1 egg tamagoyaki, and because I found them leftover from Christmas, 2 Raffaelo balls. Total Cals for the lunchbox is 460, and including everything else in the pic, 855 cals.

• SpecialKitty7
    Options
    Thanks @snugglesmacks we have that brand around here, so I'll have to poke around.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I finally have a bento again! And I pulled out a cookie/candy cutter for some star-shaped banana slices to pretty up my bento a little more than usual. We'll see how well they held up come lunch time :p