Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    @satansees Yes, they are! I found canned, brined quail eggs in the international aisle of the grocery store, so I got them and finally worked up the guts to try them. I have no idea if we can get fresh ones here. Here's where I got the idea from, the only thing i changed was I poked holes with a toothpick to put the sesame seeds in, it made them go in super easy. This should work with any eggs, I would think.

https://cookpad.com/en/recipes/148326-quail-egg-bunny-rabbits
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    @hanamidango the bunnies really didn't take me long at all, and i have terrible knife skills :o
  • 1bellringer1
    1bellringer1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Wow, how have I never heard of Bento Boxes before. This sounds like something i would like to give a try. Your meals look amazing!
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @satansees Yes, they are! I found canned, brined quail eggs in the international aisle of the grocery store, so I got them and finally worked up the guts to try them. I have no idea if we can get fresh ones here. Here's where I got the idea from, the only thing i changed was I poked holes with a toothpick to put the sesame seeds in, it made them go in super easy. This should work with any eggs, I would think.

https://cookpad.com/en/recipes/148326-quail-egg-bunny-rabbits

Oh no. Don't. Really.... don't go looking for fresh quail eggs. They taste delicious (better than chicken eggs IMO), but they take FOREVER to peel, and you have to do so many, because you're usually going to eat half a dozen of them. Stick to the brined ones, trust me. So, if you have time and can find fresh ones, go for your life, but otherwise I suggest not searching ;)

ETA: I forgot to take a picture of my Bento until I was almost done (sooooo hungry after gym!), and it's pointless taking a picture of an empty box.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    n0knal23qwg8.jpg
    Tomorrow's bento is ready to go- chicken stir fry from tonights's dinner, rice, snow peas, hummus and carrot slices, black berries a strawberry, cheese bunny and a coconut macaroon.

That's actually the second cheese bunny. The first was sacrificed to the sneaky fingers of my three year old!
  • madiao
    madiao Posts: 119 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Wow all of tjese look amazing!!

How do you guys keep your fruit (apples etc) good through the day until youre going to eat them? My apples always go brown :(
    I've tried the lemon trick but I find it changes the apples taste
  • mangrothian
    Options
    madiao wrote: »

How do you guys keep your fruit (apples etc) good through the day until youre going to eat them? My apples always go brown :(

It depends on the kind of apple tbh. Some apples will go brown quickly, and others not so much. Granny Smiths and Cortlands brown slowly, whilst Red Delicious brown really fast. So in general, tart apples will brown slower than the mild sweet ones. Cutting the apples under running water (it keeps the flesh away from oxygen which starts the browning process), and keeping them as cold as possible will slow the browning process. The Science tells us so! Yay Science!
    erfwmv45t9ml.jpeg

I can't speak for anyone else, but the idea of brown apples (and brown bananas *shudder*), puts me off eating them, so I either keep the fruit whole and just pop it in my lunchbag, or use fruit such as berries, mangos, stonefruits, grapes, etc., that don't brown as easily over the day.
  • ElliInJapan
    ElliInJapan Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    oh wow, beautiful bentos everyone! I need to keep practicing!
    Here's mine for today, I tried to pack as tightly as possible and it worked, the bento was intact at lunch time!

okmbl0kzeuc2.jpg

hijiki rice, scrambled eggs with onions, chicken skewers (without the skewers, they would not fit in the box), and slices of cucumber & carrot for salad. I was late this morning and had no time to make a better salad. Next time!
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Here's my lunch for tomorrow. It's a bit bigger volume wise than normal because I've been getting pretty hangry (yes, hangry) the last couple of days, and decided that a bigger lunch was worth it rather than me trying to gnaw my own arm off.
    0hf4ld3r4ti2.jpg
    This is about as liquidy as I'll let my lunch get. I made curry tonight, and that's my protein for tomorrow, along with rice and some salad. The top tier hasn't been packed tightly (because frankly, this box is too big), so I expect blueberries to be everywhere by the time I get to work tomorrow. It has blueberries, a jalapeno mini quiche for breakfast, the dressing for my salad, and some matcha pocky.

I do know that after I put the lid on the bottom tier which is slightly concave so it squishes everything, I saw the curry sauce seeping across the top of the rice. I'm glad I put the barans between the rice and salad, otherwise I think I might have ended up with curry salad.

Cals for the main tier (and dressing from top tier): 435. Cals for the top tier: 205. There's also a yoghurt and some blackberries for breakfast, but they're already at the office.
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 235 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    bentomania I'm bonkers for the decorated hard boiled eggs.

I eat lunch at home ... out of the fridge or I'd join you.

Great thread. Thanks all.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    madiao wrote: »

I use the lemon juice trick, and I'm wondering if you're adding a little too much? One quick splash is all you need, then mix around the apple pieces so it covers all the surfaces. And I don't eat enough variety to confirm what mangrothian said, but for what it's worth, I eat Gala most of the time, and this works for them.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I did not fix hubby a lunch last night :( However, tonight I will get him a yummy bento made!
  • Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    zuiksnwkt2az.jpg

Tried packing bento-style again today. Beta Blend (mashed sweet potatoes, turnip & carrots), white beans & escarole, steamed frozen green beans, hard boiled egg - approximately 400 cal.

The Beta Blend and Beans & Greens were planned-overs from Friday's dinner. I took the egg out temporarily before heating the rest.
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    I do have to say that no matter how tasty my salad was, I do feel a little bad about biting off their cute little bunny faces. :'(
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    After a week of no classes (thank you snow), it's good to be back in the bento-packing habit.

11zso8rtmzkp.jpg

Broccoli, carrot shapes, white rice, a pickled plum, Asian-style boneless beef ribs, and thin mint cookies (not pictured). Everything comes to around 550 calories, since I'll be hitting the gym today.

Bonus: the stand test. Everything is definitely tightly packed!
    hb6b5xxwyvqx.jpg

• SpecialKitty7
    Options
    Amerane wrote: »

*giggles* oh I don't think I'd ever have the guts to do that!

• EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    Just put in an order for some onigiri molds and hard boiled egg molds...never been giddy to make lunch :)
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Amerane wrote: »

*giggles* oh I don't think I'd ever have the guts to do that!

At least not with today's curry. I'm going to try it with one of my other boxes though. Just not the round one - that could cause a lot of grief (but I'm sure my dogs wouldn't mind!).
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Husband's lunch for tomorrow. Top is 3 oreo cookies, salsa in the container (I put another one in after the picture), and some cheese, and on the bottom is salsa chicken, plain rice, and corn. I know the top will mobe around some, but I am not to worried.

08e6f3b2d4b735a9dd56b7494b700768.png
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    @hanamidango that looks tasty! How has the husband been enjoying the lunches?