Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    @Alliwan Thank You!! I am low carb Paleo, and HAVE to be gluten free!! So these fit in my diet perfectly! I am OK with what I do but I have to get hubby on program and these will help us both!

@cindytw No Problem! I lean more primal than paleo and am gluten free but often those recipes overlap. Glad to find a fellow low carb bento-er. I love looking at all the pretty bento lunches everyone makes here. It is great to know that even tho we have to eat differently due to health reasons, we can still have pretty bento lunches too :smiley:
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    madiao wrote: »
    Walking through the shops today and found a new bento box in a shop that I didn't even think sold lunch boxes. So excited!

Does anyone else get this excited about new lunch boxes? Hehe :smiley:

Sadly, yes. :smiley:

• PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Well, I brought a bento for today....but then the Yatai cart posted their specials for today, including the Snow Roll: fresh salmon, marinated shitakes, scallions, avocado, cucumber sushi handroll

Oishii!!! :3 Oh and a big bowl of miso soup too
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Walking through the shops today and found a new bento box in a shop that I didn't even think sold lunch boxes. So excited!

Does anyone else get this excited about new lunch boxes? Hehe :smiley:

I know I've posted a picture of my collection somewhere in this thread before (which has increased since then too :neutral_face: ) I get extremely excited. Or I see how large they make children's lunch boxes and get sad when I see how much junk food for lunch some children eat each day.
    Well, I brought a bento for today....but then the Yatai cart posted their specials for today, including the Snow Roll: fresh salmon, marinated shitakes, scallions, avocado, cucumber sushi handroll

そですか?とても おいしいい です!

I did a similar thing yesterday as well. Bought a sashimi donburi from a local store. So good. Sashimi, salad, rice and tofu. No miso soup though :(

I had make up class last night to cove for the class I'll miss on good Friday, so I got home after 11 and didn't make my bento today. Unless you count a bowl of instant kitsune udon, some dumplings I grabbed from the freezer and some instant rice porridge for breakfast. The sodium content is gonna make me explode....
  • PixieGoddess
    Options

そですか?とても おいしいい です!

So, so! :) (And I was so glad I could read that with how rusty my hiragana - and katakana, for that matter - has been lately!)

Sooo....a handroll and soup are not nearly as much as I usually eat for lunch, so I pulled out my bento and ate the small tier (pickle, turkey breast, almonds, chocolate cherries) as a snack. I'll probably eat the big tier (shrimp lo mein) as my pre-choir practice dinner, and then get something else at home after practice.

p5a2g2fuwmsc.jpg
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I did pretty well in a hurry this morning! r1rpffxu1t7z.jpg

I definitely have succumbed to the Bento Bug! It has been fun for me!

@Alliwan, yes it is nice to find others with similar constraints! I want to be Primal, but dairy is *sigh* bothering my tummy and my sinuses! I am a cheese and Greek yogurt addict too! Mostly cheese! :s I am also not digesting grains well either at ALL! Even white rice bloats me right up! :'( I guess I would still do it most of the time because its good for me and I believe I get better nutrition, but I would like to be able to go off plan without wrecking myself! Which I do every time, so it's sad!
  • mmitri12
    mmitri12 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use Bento for work lunches as well-have been for the past couple of years. I generally can stretch the rice for two days, unless I didn't pack a snack, then I finish off the rice. I get my recipes from the Just Bento cookbook.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    First bento in a while. It's starting to warm up here, the bluebonnets are on full display. So starting to experiment with lunches that can weather the weather here in a Texas summer. The bottom is just celery and whipped peanut butter and a rice roller I decided I wanted at the last minute. The top is raw cashews and freeze dried strawberries and Annie's bunny gummies. Also a gluten free granola bar for the slump I sometimes get.
    Lunch is just over 530 calories (all those nuts make it a bit higher- but they withstand heat well!) and the bar is 110. yv3zb753w8if.jpg
  • SpecialKitty7
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @kramrn77 that rice roller looks tasty! If I like rice cakes, would I like those? I spy them over on amazon.com....

I love poofy foods that take up a lot of volume for small calories.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    b9czo4jebp8k.jpg

Mine isn't near as pretty as most of yours. I love all of your creativity.

This is just cajun chicken, cocktail tomatoes, bruschetta jack cheese and baby carrots.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    @SpecialKitty7‌
    You'd probably like them. They are slightly sweet, but not overwhelmingly so. At 45 calories a roll, I really love them. I usually get them at the Korean store near my house. They come in a huge pack. My hubby whips through them like wildfire though!

• PixieGoddess
    Options
    No bento yesterday (had to buy lunch) or today (brought leftover pizza) :( I need to go grocery shopping...
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    Thanks @kramrn77 if i see them in the store, i'll give them a whirl! On a side note, my carrot gem wraps came in yesterday that @cindytw introduced us to. I think i'll have time tonight to bento something with them for lunch tomorrow! Turkey and avocado maybe?
  • colejkeene
    colejkeene Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I recently bought my husband a box from Monbento to pack his lunches. All the lunch boxes we had previously were too colorful for him so we wanted to get something a little more masculine (he works with a bunch of engineers and needs to save face, haha).

One of the first meals I made for him was Vegan Thai Noodle Soup (the recipe is on my blog, Willow & Thyme. He loved it!

Also, this box is so well constructed. I cannot believe we waited so long to pick one up!

monbento-soup-fw.jpg
  • cindytw
    Options
    @colejkeene‌ I like the grown-up look! I have not had any actual Japanese or oriental meals yet. Just made our regular Paleo lunches look good!
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    I gave it a go! Here's turkey, havarti & avocado wrapped in a carrot gem wrap, bolthouse farms yogurt ranch dressing, a salad cucumber and a raspberry fig bar. It's actually pretty good, i was a bit worried when i made the rolls, as the wrap was really like a fruit roll up, but overnight they softened and just kind of molded to my roll.

e8utzy267sdo.jpg

I made a lazy gal's snack box too, but haven't been hungry for it yet.
  • cindytw
    Options
    @SpecialKitty7‌ they do need to sit if you expect soft. I didn't know when I first got them I just ate them chewy and all! When you haven't had a wrap in years, who cares if its chewy?!
  • SpecialKitty7
    edited March 2015
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    @SpecialKitty7‌ they do need to sit if you expect soft. I didn't know when I first got them I just ate them chewy and all! When you haven't had a wrap in years, who cares if its chewy?!

<- giggles! Yeah, I thought they were going to stay chewy. Glad they didn't, it was pretty good, and an interesting wrap. I don't care much for tortilla wraps on sandwiches as they are always kind of raw flour tasting, but this was fun. I'm going to have to get creative with my next round!

eta: I don't have any dietary restrictions, I just like trying new things :smile:

• madiao
    madiao Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    @colejkeene that looks delicious!

How did your husband go with the Monbento box? I looked at those a while ago but was put off by the fact you can only microwave them at about 500W
  • colejkeene
    colejkeene Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    @colejkeene that looks delicious!

How did your husband go with the Monbento box? I looked at those a while ago but was put off by the fact you can only microwave them at about 500W

He actually transfers things into a glass bowl I gave him to keep at the office. We don't like microwaving anything- even if it say it's "safe". Might be a bit hippy of us, but we both seem to agree, so it works for us. :)