Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    @Narcissora @sagj I totally agree on the bands. I try to take pics before I close everything up, but it's nice to know that other people have smushed bentos too! I kind of felt like a failure.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Narcissora wrote: »
    I just had to share this:

As of today, I am down ten pounds since I started doing bentos again. Yay!!! Lots of yummy food in moderation is working well!

Grats mdear!
    sagj wrote: »
    I just had to share this:

As of today, I am down ten pounds since I started doing bentos again. Yay!!! Lots of yummy food in moderation is working well!

Awesome job! Way to work those bentos!

As an aside, I think my workouts are making me hungrier because I ripped into my lunch by ten am today ☺️ And that was after waiting 20 minutes of being hungry and a decent sized breakfast! The good news is that I ate that instead of a mini bag of chips so that is good

I work longer hours so I can go to the gym in the middle of my day and still have a lunchbreak. I go just before lunch, and destroy my bento just after I get back. I found it was the best way to eat midway through the day, and not want to nibble on something extra before I get home.

@specialkitty7 Mine are the same I find. Mine generally aren't too squished, but they're never quite the same as the pre-lid photo.
  • annarosato379
    annarosato379 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ok. I'm confused. So is the Bento box supposed to feed you all day (snacks between meals and a full meal) or is it all just 1 whole meal? My diet normally consists of breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner and snack. Just curious
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    Ok. I'm confused. So is the Bento box supposed to feed you all day (snacks between meals and a full meal) or is it all just 1 whole meal? My diet normally consists of breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner and snack. Just curious

It can really be anything you want, but generally, one box per meal. My two snacks for the day are in two tiers of one bento, but my lunch is in a separate bento, so I carry two boxes a day. My breakfast is a smoothie and a yogurt, so not really bento-able.

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Depends entirely on your day. I sometimes pack a snack with my dinner (I work 2nd shift) or I sometimes have a snack separate (Quest bar, yogurt or nuts). Some people leave the house all day for school and work, so they have larger or multiple bentos with more than one meal. Some have access to fridges and microwaves, some need insulated containers and recipes that are good cold.

It can be done however you wish to do it. Just find appropriately sized box or boxes for what you need, and pack them with whatever kinds of food you want to eat. If you look back at the pages, in addition to traditional Japanese fare, there's chicken and waffles, lots of tacos/burritos, all sorts of leftovers, sandwiches/burgers and pretty much anything else you can imagine.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

Traditionally speaking? Just lunch. For our sake? Whatever your prefer. I have 400-500ml sized boxes which only do my lunch, and I have giant 2 tier 1.1L ones that will do breakfast, lunch and snacks for me. I also have small under 200ml boxes that I use for yoghurt, fruit, etc.

It's more about using the smaller boxes for portion control, and to have a lunch you know will still satisfy you, will still taste (and look) good at room temp, sometimes over 12 hours after you make it if you do it the night before. Your daily Cal intake (if you're counting them that is), is something you can also take into account.

When you're limited for space, it makes you think a little more about your food choices, and if you're the type of person who has a compulsion to finish your plate/bowl/lunchbox when you eat, no matter how full you are, wouldn't it be better to use a smaller lunchbox and just finish that instead?

If you go back through the pages, you'll see all different types of box setups depending on the poster's needs
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    a bit late to ask, but where did you find the mini brie? So much faster than buying big hunks of cheese and trying to guess how much to cut off to get an ounce. :P So much more attractive too then hacked bits of cheese.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    I've seen the mini brie at a lot of grocery stores. If your grocery has a fancy cheese case rather than just the normal sliced Kraft and blocks of Cracker Barrel, then it's worth checking there.
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »
    a bit late to ask, but where did you find the mini brie? So much faster than buying big hunks of cheese and trying to guess how much to cut off to get an ounce. :P So much more attractive too then hacked bits of cheese.

I'm not sure where in the world you are located, but if you are in the U.S. And have a Trader Joe's, I'm pretty sure I saw the mini brie there. They also have mini goat cheese and mini blue cheese... And maybe some others.
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »

I found them at Meijer in the imported cheese section.

• Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    3h5lbu4opgir.jpg

More weekend leftovers! A few slices of the BEST pork tenderloin I have ever made; teeny tiny potatoes from Trader Joe's (they seriously are itty bitty - much smaller than your standard fingerling potatoes); salad with tomatoes and babybel; cherries; and vinaigrette for the salad in the little pot.

Edited to add links to recipes for the absolutely incredible pork tenderloin:

I used this recipe for the seasoning rub (but I added some paprika to it too)

I used this recipe for the cooking instructions.
  • madiao
    madiao Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Forgot to post this this morning before I left for work. Today's lunch was radish and carrot salad, rice with furikake and stir fried beef. Top tier is apple and banana as usual and special k biscuits :smile:

vafbpqz1d4na.jpg
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    8461bbz168k7.jpg

Today's box:

Layer one-Eggplant Romano with Italian meatballs

Layer two- fresh apricot with pecorino Romano and a spring mix and tomato salad. Served with The Best Italian Dressing Ever (seriously ;) ) I also have a coffee flavored yogurt for some point today, maybe breakfast.
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    3h5lbu4opgir.jpg

More weekend leftovers! A few slices of the BEST pork tenderloin I have ever made; teeny tiny potatoes from Trader Joe's (they seriously are itty bitty - much smaller than your standard fingerling potatoes); salad with tomatoes and babybel; cherries; and vinaigrette for the salad in the little pot.

Love this box! Is there a way to eat it off of my screen?! nom nom

PS Why, oh why can't I find good cherries? I keep looking and they are my favorite. Those look lovely :)
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    I has a sad today as I have no bento, and all this great bento stuff at home. Last night, I was too tired to put one together and felt it would be the morning me's problem. Then forgot to get up early enough to make one. Snif.

6cah35nbn9iq.jpg
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    3h5lbu4opgir.jpg

Thanks for the pork recipe! I think I actually have a tenderloin at home too :smiley:
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I ate fast food for lunch yesterday. Blech. Today is leftover rotisserie chicken and asparagus. I had to add something else, so I popped a hashbrown patty in the oven and split it between this box and tomorrow's box. :p It's still pretty weak compared to my normal bentos, and come in about 100cals under. I need to cook. :/ Salad in the small tier, with dressing in the Hello Kitty sauce cup. EDIT: I swear, there's salad under all the mushrooms! But I love mushrooms! #_#

srlmrwdwha7i.jpg
  • LilSweet2015
    LilSweet2015 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Adorable bentos! Love the mini potatoes. We all have those days when "lunch" happens at 10 am. To answer the size question. I find that you can get 400 healthy calories of nutritionally dense food in a pretty small bento, but if your food is fluffier (like a big loose salad) you need a bigger container or you will be starving.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Adorable bentos! Love the mini potatoes. We all have those days when "lunch" happens at 10 am. To answer the size question. I find that you can get 400 healthy calories of nutritionally dense food in a pretty small bento, but if your food is fluffier (like a big loose salad) you need a bigger container or you will be starving.

I've read that the size in mililiters (ml) is supposed to loosely correlate with the number of calories it will hold...as long as, like you said, it's not fluffy. So that's a pretty good way to choose a size to start with. If your lunch is typically around 450 cals, you would want a 450 ml box.
  • LilSweet2015
    LilSweet2015 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You guys inspired me to pack some color in my lunch for tomorrow. This is my two layer tiffin with salad (lettuce, radish, tomato, celery, pepper, and 5 oz. chicken); top layer with 1 cup each of strawberries, melon, grapes, and Greek dressing for the salad.

gx2xg8tylfcx.jpg
    w3yfv4bsze2a.jpg