• MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Fill your bento with meat.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    kandell wrote: »
    I just recently purchased a super cute bento box and I really want to start packing bento lunches. Definitely need some ideas to get me started, though. There seem to be tons of options and it's a tad overwhelming.

If you want options on where to start, I always suggest JustBento & JustOneCookbook. Makiko Itoh who runs the JustHungry/JustBento websites has some great basic info ideas on the more traditional bento, and you can just have a look through the pages in this thread. The first 10 pages would probably have the most recipe links, but every picture someone posts has something different ^_^
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I just recently purchased a super cute bento box and I really want to start packing bento lunches. Definitely need some ideas to get me started, though. There seem to be tons of options and it's a tad overwhelming.

You can also start with what you know. Many of us started out with "leftover" bentos. Really, bento is just about packing a lunch, so start out with what you feel comfortable. Due to this being my busy season, I've been behind on my bento making, but most of my stuff is kind of heat and pack.
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    Bento today: chicken fajitas, wild rice, apple slices, and an egg in the shape of an earless bear :/ (that you can't even see in the picture anyways)
    qz1k09da0dg6.jpg

I know! Even when you can get an egg mold to come out well, it never really photgraphs well, there's got to be a trick to it.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Tomorrows bento. Rice, hambaagu, marinated egg, veg, umeboshi. About 580Cal. After two 15+ hour days at work and being too tired to make my bento when I get home, I'm soooooo looking forward to my normal lunch.
    ta9ny7m5ddwl.jpg
    image.jpg 1020.3K
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Bento today: chicken fajitas, wild rice, apple slices, and an egg in the shape of an earless bear :/ (that you can't even see in the picture anyways)
    qz1k09da0dg6.jpg

I have yet to get a bear with ears. I've gotten great bunnies, fish, and cars but a good bear egg just hasn't happened. There must be a trick I don't know.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    A question for the umeboshi eaters,
    do you mix it with something before eating? do you swallow the pit?

I got some and it is very very sour, is there anything I can do to tone the punch a little.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    So I have done a few plain lunches here and there but have not been up to making my husband lunch at all lately :( Here is a lunch/dinner I made yesterday when going out due to my youngest being sick so we where on the go. It was 637 cals, chili with hot dogs, rice, and raw carrot and while not pretty at all, it was yummy.
    517fc86971c3d7b56bb90922a9eb6ecb.png

And just for fun, a lunch I had a few weeks ago, my egg mold came out well here.
    28b7ddfb46e2383318ec9696fd132145.png
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

If you want options on where to start, I always suggest JustBento & JustOneCookbook. Makiko Itoh who runs the JustHungry/JustBento websites has some great basic info ideas on the more traditional bento, and you can just have a look through the pages in this thread. The first 10 pages would probably have the most recipe links, but every picture someone posts has something different ^_^

Awesome! Thanks :smiley:
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    And just for fun, a lunch I had a few weeks ago, my egg mold came out well here.
    28b7ddfb46e2383318ec9696fd132145.png

YOUR BEARS HAVE EARS!!!! HOW did you DO THAT?!?
  • mangrothian
    Options
    EmmieBaby wrote: »
    A question for the umeboshi eaters,
    do you mix it with something before eating? do you swallow the pit?

I got some and it is very very sour, is there anything I can do to tone the punch a little.

Honestly, I eat them as is, and spit out the pit because I love sour foods. Sometimes I take the pit out, and put it in the centre an umeshu seasoned onigiri. The basis behind having an umeboshi placed with the rice is to help keep the rice fresh (I don't think it truly works though), so I don't know if everyone eats it anyway.

The other thing I've seen is pitting it, mushing it up with some kewpie mayonnaise and mixing it through the rice.
  • HanamiDango
    Options

I use this mold with large eggs. I steam my eggs, peel them while hot, put them in the egg mold, let them sit for about 5 mins, and so far, all of them have worked out to looking just like the molds.

• PixieGoddess
    edited April 2015
    Options

I use this mold with large eggs. I steam my eggs, peel them while hot, put them in the egg mold, let them sit for about 5 mins, and so far, all of them have worked out to looking just like the molds.

I have that exact mold, same color even! I boil my eggs, peel them while hot, put them in the egg mold, and let them sit in cold water for...well, I don't time it but a while! I go do something else while they sit there.

It's not fair! T_T

In other news, today's bento is homemade chicken nuggets, quinoa, and fresh veggies with ranch dressing! :) Yay for going grocery shopping!!
    de2chvzhl73q.jpg
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    I got my JList order, so a bunch of cute new bento boxes! Now for busy season to get over so I can go back to making lunches...
    1l6hc0raq3cv.jpg
  • PixieGoddess
    Options
    Today's bento is just about the same as yesterday's but I got a pretty good picture of my bunny egg :)

4847hzkxznym.jpg
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Quick small lunch. Cabbage rolls stuffed with ground turkey and X marks the homemade avocado sushi. :D

id84sbkjitpy.jpg

• mangrothian
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Swiftlet66 wrote: »
    Quick small lunch. Cabbage rolls stuffed with ground turkey and X marks the homemade avocado sushi. :D

Looks delish. I love cabbage rolls. I usually avoid taking in home-made sushi because I don't like how the nori goes chewy :( what did you mark the x's with? looks like chili sauce, but it could be anything.

Since today is Good Friday (Happy Easter everyone!), no boxes bento for me today. I slept in (sleep is glorious, and I haven't had enough recently), right past breakfast and into lunchtime territory, so I decided a plated bento was good enough for today.
    a839952d2gwm.jpg
    It's a chicken steamed bun, rice with shiso furikake (which I spilled about 3 times too much into >.< ) and umeboshi, steamed carrots, capsicum and shelled edamame. Came to about 550cals. I was going to eat two of the steamed buns, but relented and gave one to my husband instead. I'm such a pushover....
  • HanamiDango
    Options
    I have that exact mold, same color even! I boil my eggs, peel them while hot, put them in the egg mold, and let them sit in cold water for...well, I don't time it but a while! I go do something else while they sit there.

It's not fair! T_T

:( I don't know why they work, maybe the size of the egg or because I steam them? Maybe the bear ear goddess needs to visit you? I will try to send her your way! ^_^

Everyone's lunches look so yummy. I need to stop being lazy and step up my game a bit. Also need to take a trip to the Asian market and I might pick up some umeboshi too.

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    eq6zd5zd6m4n.jpg

That was a rush job! Ham, lettuce, tomato, green onion, mayo and dijon mustard Barbecue Gem wrap, eggs, grape tomatoes, cucumber, cashews and homemade tahini-lemon vinagrette for cucumbers.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Swiftlet66 wrote: »

Looks delish. I love cabbage rolls. I usually avoid taking in home-made sushi because I don't like how the nori goes chewy :( what did you mark the x's with? looks like chili sauce, but it could be anything.

Sriracha sauce. :) It adds extra ZING to my rolls. Hmm mine doesn't get very chewy. Must be different type of nori!