Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• FitGeekery
    FitGeekery Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    That's what I like about bentos so much; you can fill it with whatever you like! I like eating pretty much anything so having some Japanese recipes to add to my arsenal just gives me more good things to eat XD

And omg my first bento shipment has arrived! I'm geeking out so hard right now <3

qth26uno34o9.jpg
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    FitGeekery wrote: »
    That's what I like about bentos so much; you can fill it with whatever you like! I like eating pretty much anything so having some Japanese recipes to add to my arsenal just gives me more good things to eat XD

And omg my first bento shipment has arrived! I'm geeking out so hard right now <3

qth26uno34o9.jpg

That's by far my favorite box! I have the round silicone but not the square one...hmm I may have to hit amazon :smile:

• FitGeekery
    Options
    @SpecialKitty7 I actually wanted the Totoro one like this, everything else I'm getting is Totoro themed but this was such a cute substitute <3 Yeah I hope it's useful having 2 diff shapes, guess I'll find out!
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options

I will not lie, I want that box! However, I am a home body with no where to go :( If I ever get a job, I am so buying more bento supplies and boxes!!
    I want all things Totoro too. That and Sailor Moon, but I am a kid at heart, plus my kids love the too ^_^ And Kiki's and Totoro sets go well together.

@SpecialKitty7 I want these, also found on Amazon. Just leaving that here. ^_^ 4aac260f8845fbd066a065f542a3998f.png
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    @SpecialKitty7 I actually wanted the Totoro one like this, everything else I'm getting is Totoro themed but this was such a cute substitute <3 Yeah I hope it's useful having 2 diff shapes, guess I'll find out!

I almost got the Totoro one as well, but I have a soft spot for black cats (and I totally love KiKi's delivery service)
  • FitGeekery
    Options
    @HanamiDango ... why not make yourself one for lunch even if you don't go anywhere? I mean, consider it a little treat & TLC time for yourself in the morning. Who doesn't want to eat an extra cute lunch? :) Also those cups are adorable! I would totally get heart shaped ones. And now I must find them XD

@SpecialKitty7 Yeah, if I enjoy doing this in general I'll probably get both Totoro & Kiki sets... because awesome XD

Not gonna lie though, what I'm REALLY excited about is making my own furikake. So many recipes, such tasty, just need to keep the sodium down hehe
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    @HanamiDango I purchased this one for eating at home: https://www.etsy.com/listing/213796884/sale-15japanese-bento-box-authentic?ref=sr_gallery_4&ga_search_query=bento&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery It's actual lacquered wood, not fake plastic wood, and it has ceramic and bamboo inserts. It was quite a splurge, but very stunning in person, and the perfect size for a reasonably portioned lunch.

But today's lunch is leftover chicken burrito (in the plastic bowl) and spinach/bacon salad, caprese salad, pepper strips and baby broccoli with a little bottle of balsamic for the salads. I also have some Petite Creme for dessert and some nuts for a snack. No idea of the calories since the burrito was restaurant food (and has lots of sour cream) but with all the veggies, it shouldn't be too bad.

20150415_160931.jpg

• FitGeekery
    Options
    This also just arrived, not that I'm nerding out at all LOL Needed some extra containers for breakfast as I usually bring that with me to work as well :)

xptz9qq2ow26.jpg
  • LLCinLV
    LLCinLV Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love the look, but living in a desert, I use a 6-pack cooler, ice pack and glass containers for the microwave.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I see how it is, I go travelling and all the new bentoers come out of the woodwork. I'm not that scary, honest. Well, maybe a little.....
    This also just arrived, not that I'm nerding out at all LOL Needed some extra containers for breakfast as I usually bring that with me to work as well :)

xptz9qq2ow26.jpg

I keep staring at the Totoro sets every time I look online. My annual bonus is coming up soon, so maybe I'll give in
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I love the look, but living in a desert, I use a 6-pack cooler, ice pack and glass containers for the microwave.

I may not live in a desert, but Australia isn't an overly cool climate. I use a good quality coolerbag with a couple of ice packs in it for 6 months of the year for my trips to and from work.
  • FitGeekery
    Options
    @mangrothian Haha I've been lurking on this thread since you first started it! I've been wanting to bento for a loooong time to finally decide. And then I found all of the Totoro/Kiki's Delivery themed bento stuff on Amazon... and the rest is history XD
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    8vfzli9z9f89.jpg
    Today's bento-ish box! It is ham on top of some mixed vegetables with strawberries and sunflower seeds. I should be getting my new bento and dividers today. I'm so excited for the silicone cups, ha!
  • ashleyherrin96
    Options
    I'm so happy this thread exists! I've been lurking for a while, and I can't wait to get bento-ing for myself :)
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    smhdqpg7fe0j.jpg
    In the large box: Romain with carrots, corn, balsamic chicken and onions, tomatoes, egg.

In the small box: pineapple, sweet potato triscuits, goat cheese medallion.

And I keep a bottle of Frank's hot sauce at my desk. It doesn't need to be refrigerated, which is awesome. I use it on all of my veggies, including on my greens instead of dressing. I covered everything in the larger box in hot sauce and mixed it all up to turn it into a salad.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Totoro was the first request movie of the day!!

@FitGeekery love the boxes! Those are mini-cups in a set, Linked Here for you. ^_^

@FitGeekery and @SnuggleSmacks I would make lunch but than I have 3 kids who would also want lunch made, while I could do it in the morning, I am honestly just to lazy, in a way. I rather chase my little ones around ^_^ Granted it I probably should do it like twice a week for all of us. & SnuggleSmacks what an nice box!!

Today's love wife box is left over baked chicken parmesan, pasta, mozzarella, and green beans. 25428be58b96e794d12fd2de1e7531f4.png
  • FitGeekery
    Options
    @HanamiDango Thanks for the link, I'm gonna add it to my wishlist hehe. And that's totally fair if you've got 3 little ones to chase but I agree, even doing it once a week could be a fun treat for everyone, mum and kids alike :smiley:
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options

I will not lie, I want that box! However, I am a home body with no where to go :( If I ever get a job, I am so buying more bento supplies and boxes!!
    I want all things Totoro too. That and Sailor Moon, but I am a kid at heart, plus my kids love the too ^_^ And Kiki's and Totoro sets go well together.

@SpecialKitty7 I want these, also found on Amazon. Just leaving that here. ^_^ 4aac260f8845fbd066a065f542a3998f.png

I'm so picking up what you're setting down!

• Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options

I'm totally going to buy these! Amazon should pay you commission. Someone is going to wonder why there is a sudden spike in sales of adorable little truffle cups.
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Beautiful and nutritious! I love it!