Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    15asnwfubl2t.jpg
    Tomorrow's bento - breakfast is cottage cheese and pineapple and lunch is five spice tofu, kale, grapes, and bell pepper.
    I'm doing really well during the day, but I'm so hungry when I get home :(

I agree with @mangrothian I pack a two tier snack bento for my morning and afternoon snack along with my lunch one. I don't always get a chance to eat it (like today) and I end up staaarving.

• LilSweet2015
    LilSweet2015 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My office is in an organic grocery store (not Whole Paycheck :) )so I can literally just eat all day if I want (mixed blessing). Since I joined mfp I'm sticking to what I pack for lunch plus I have a stash of healthy bars like you suggested. I do 4 meals of about 400 calories each - I eat between 1600-1800 calories per day. I don't eat back exercise calories or the calories my Fitbit gives me back. I know some people eat much less, but my work and performance suffer when I drop to 1200 calories. I'm okay with going slow and steady.

About a week ago, I just lost the taste for meat. I don't know how to describe it, except that I was eating some yummy stuff off the grill and it just tasted "dead" to me. I just didn't enjoy it, which is strange because I've been a joyful meat eater all my life. Maybe it's just a phase. I'm not digging dairy right now either, but I didn't want to waste my cottage cheese so I dumped a bunch of pineapple on it. I have noticed in the past week that I stopped eating meat, I haven't had even one sugar craving. Fruit has been enough for once. No ice cream, no chocolate, no cookies - nada. Weird, huh?
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    My office is in an organic grocery store (not Whole Paycheck :) )so I can literally just eat all day if I want (mixed blessing). Since I joined mfp I'm sticking to what I pack for lunch plus I have a stash of healthy bars like you suggested. I do 4 meals of about 400 calories each - I eat between 1600-1800 calories per day. I don't eat back exercise calories or the calories my Fitbit gives me back. I know some people eat much less, but my work and performance suffer when I drop to 1200 calories. I'm okay with going slow and steady.

About a week ago, I just lost the taste for meat. I don't know how to describe it, except that I was eating some yummy stuff off the grill and it just tasted "dead" to me. I just didn't enjoy it, which is strange because I've been a joyful meat eater all my life. Maybe it's just a phase. I'm not digging dairy right now either, but I didn't want to waste my cottage cheese so I dumped a bunch of pineapple on it. I have noticed in the past week that I stopped eating meat, I haven't had even one sugar craving. Fruit has been enough for once. No ice cream, no chocolate, no cookies - nada. Weird, huh?

I think the body just wants what it wants - it's good that you're listening to it. Because of my exercise goals, I don't think I could eat the amount of non-animal protein I would need to meet my requirements. It's probably the only thing I truly struggle with when it comes to bentos; getting as much protein someone as tall as me needs (since my LBM is quite high), whilst trying to eat the smaller volume lunches is hard sometimes.
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to make good use of those cocktail rye slices.

602xzwrceg6k.jpg

This is a build-your-own sandwich bento: cocktail rye slices, turkey, cucumber, pickles, tomato slices, salt & vinegar roasted chickpeas, tuna salad (made with canned tuna, avocado, and hot sauce)
  • madiao
    madiao Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    @Narcissora those little cocktail rye slices are SO cute! I don't think we have those over here in Aus, not that I have ever come across anyway.

Tomorrows lunch is in one of my new boxes, yay! The bigger tier has beef bulgogi and rice with furikake, the smaller tier has a carrot and diakon salad, some lettuce, tomatoes and a sesame soy dressing in the little lion container.

g1el63v2z70z.jpg
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    @Narcissora I love the way that tuna salad sounds & looks? Avocado?!? Did you use a recipe, or can you share the ratios you use for that?
  • Narcissora
    Options
    @aSearch4Me no recipe, but this time I used 56g of canned white albacore in water (a little less than a can) and 41g of avocado (it was about 1/4 of an avocado if you don't weigh your food). I didn't measure the hot sauce, but I used Frank's (also known as Buffalo Wing Sauce or maybe just Buffalo sauce - I guess I don't know what people who don't live in Buffalo call it - we would NEVER call it Buffalo sauce here). I probably used 1/2 tsp of Frank's. I'm not really sure - I just shook a bunch in there and called it delicious. Oh! And I also squirted some lime juice in it, mostly because citrus helps keep the avocado from turning brown. I didn't measure that either, but it was probably around a teaspoon.
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @Narcissora Great, the ratios above will help get me started! Thank you!! Adding the lime juice is a smart idea, nothing worse than opening your lunch to find an oxidized/brown avocado. Blech. :s

Haha, I'm not from Buffalo, but I don't refer to Franks as Buffalo sauce, either. For this recipe, I would probably use the Mexican hot sauce, Cholula, that I buy in bulk at Costco (I could seriously drink that stuff...love it).
  • Narcissora
    Options
    aSearch4Me wrote: »
    @Narcissora Great, the ratios above will help get me started! Thank you!! Adding the lime juice is a smart idea, nothing worse than opening your lunch to find an oxidized/brown avocado. Blech. :s

Haha, I'm not from Buffalo, but I don't refer to Franks as Buffalo sauce, either. For this recipe, I would probably use the Mexican hot sauce, Cholula, that I buy in bulk at Costco (I could seriously drink that stuff...love it).

Ahhhh, ok. Frank's is what everyone here uses on wings. I just assumed the world called it Buffalo sauce or something. We just refer to it as hot sauce. Sort of like wings - we call them just wings or hot wings, medium wings, mild wings, etc. We would never call them Buffalo wings. On a similar note, I always wonder if people in Philadelphia call a Philly cheesesteak just a "cheesesteak" or if they keep the "Philly" on it.
  • alantaylor1985
    alantaylor1985 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Been using Bentos occasionally for both lunches and mains with a lot of Japanese inspired food. I bought a few Bento related and Japanese food related books. Not done any for a few days though

t9v7uaptuoz7.jpg
    kgyo0gbiuicp.jpg
    obmc21vkpaqg.jpg
    7032hk7ybwnb.jpg
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    puw3ltgodfqg.jpg

Here is today's box:

Layer one: Spring mix salad with an egg and sunflower seeds

Layer two: Hamburger patty with BBQ sauce, cooked carrots with cinnamon, and cherries

Served with some ranch dressing. Looking at about 600 kcal
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    Options

I think the body just wants what it wants - it's good that you're listening to it. Because of my exercise goals, I don't think I could eat the amount of non-animal protein I would need to meet my requirements. It's probably the only thing I truly struggle with when it comes to bentos; getting as much protein someone as tall as me needs (since my LBM is quite high), whilst trying to eat the smaller volume lunches is hard sometimes.

I struggle with that as well. If I want to put more protein-rich food in my box I tend to crowd out veggies or fruit which makes me a rather sad panda. Today's box isn't bad but I've also been trying to put another protein on top of my salad. Once it gets cold I foresee salads disappearing and denser cooked/blanched veggies taking their place. That might make it a bit more roomy for proteins.

I got the bigger box to help with this problem but I just end up full before finishing that box. It seems like I must choose between protein and veggies which is just strange from a nutrition standpoint. Meh...
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    Narcissora wrote: »
    aSearch4Me wrote: »

Ahhhh, ok. Frank's is what everyone here uses on wings. I just assumed the world called it Buffalo sauce or something. We just refer to it as hot sauce. Sort of like wings - we call them just wings or hot wings, medium wings, mild wings, etc. We would never call them Buffalo wings. On a similar note, I always wonder if people in Philadelphia call a Philly cheesesteak just a "cheesesteak" or if they keep the "Philly" on it.

Yeah, we call it Frank's here too.

I've been to Philly, and they just call it "cheesesteak" and it's Amazing! We found this hole in the wall place that was under a parking garage or something. There was no one in there, and we (pack of idiots we are) told them we're from Chicago and had never had a "real" Philly Cheesesteak. The owner made our food himself, and didn't even charge us for them as he was thrilled we came in hunt of the "good stuff". He said he made them the way a Real Philadelphian would, I have no idea if they were, but they were fantastic.

• SpecialKitty7
    Options
    Been using Bentos occasionally for both lunches and mains with a lot of Japanese inspired food. I bought a few Bento related and Japanese food related books. Not done any for a few days though

Our first serious bentoing man? Your food looks incredible :love:

• PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options

Can you come cook for me for....at least a few years? Those look so nummy!! #_#
  • alantaylor1985
    Options

Cheers. They are pretty quick to be honest and damn tasty. Need to get stuck back in them next week, been a bit lazy of late haha

• alantaylor1985
    Options

Can you come cook for me for....at least a few years? Those look so nummy!! #_#

Cheers. It'll cost you haha.
  • mangrothian
    Options

Bahaha, I'm glad I'm not the one who made that comment.

@alantaylor1985 the boxes look aweosme and seriously delish.. I love the traditional style of box, but find them too bulky to deal with taking them to work on a dialy basis. I'm assuming you drive in?
  • Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    pomhdf89eon0.jpg

Lunch or maybe dinner for tomorrow - Rice with scallions and a touch of Ssamjang, mushrooms, & miso ball (will heat these together in the microwave), sesame marinated asparagus, spinach salad - not pictured sesame dressing for the salad. A little low on protein, but the day should balance fine.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Arianera wrote: »
    Lunch or maybe dinner for tomorrow - Rice with scallions and a touch of Ssamjang, mushrooms, & miso ball (will heat these together in the microwave), sesame marinated asparagus, spinach salad - not pictured sesame dressing for the salad. A little low on protein, but the day should balance fine.

looks yum! Ssamjang is a mixed spice paste isn't it?

I have an unagi bento today! Marinated eel is kinda expensive, so I don't buy it very often, but I splurged when I last went to the supermarket. The additionals: rice with wasabi furikake, marinated eggs (I left them in the fridge an extra day, and it went black >.<), and veg.
    ltopz86zvyyk.jpg