Does Anyone Notice The Rampant Negativity Here?

Options

Replies

• Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    Maybe some people are hangry?

Oh, yeah. A lot of people are hangry and don't even realize it. Calories in, calories out.
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Luke_I_am_your_spotter Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    tumblr_n8iheuqTwT1qb1419o2_500.gif
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Attack after attack. If you're not mean and what I said isnt true why does it get to you so bad ?? I was just sharing how I see it. Screw this site. I am tired of all the ganging up on people for no reason.

Who are you talking to?

Also, your logic is weak.
  • lawlifehanna
    lawlifehanna Posts: 90 Member
    Options

It sounds like you had a choice and chose to focus on what you perceived to be the 'negative'. In public forums you need to learn to glean what you want and leave the rest behind... unless you like the drama.

You are correct, that's what I did and that's what I need to learn. However, it doesn't change the fact that calling other people stupid or hypocrites is mean, and that's what this thread is about. I realize that threads being "stolen" is just the way of the internet, but that's still the original point. It's not about how the people react to name-calling, it's about the name-calling itself. Oh, and I did also take the advice. I just didn't put it to use until last week, when I decided to start learning exactly what you suggested and make a comeback.

I'm confident that most people in MFP are actually really nice people. We just need to remember that we're all exactly that. People.

Yes, I'm the kind of girl who believes in love and peace and probably farts rainbows and fairy dust.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Ypu keep replying to what im saying with bs . What do you expect ?

You to post examples and hold a mature conversation like an adult. I know....It's a lot to ask.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I know that's my biggest problem.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/jofjltncb6?date=2015-01-04

...er, wait. Wut?
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    It gets more difficult to be really supportive when OPs (some trolls, some not) ask such silly questions - things they could easily answer in two minutes with a google search. It's also tough with so many off the wall "chit-chat" posts that come up in the feed. I try to be really nice and supportive...but there is a limit to the amount of stupidity I can take.

Honestly, I think google searches can be misleading.... it took me going through 15 pages of homeopathic bull links to get to an actual credible website to say salt was just salt and had no magical healing powers...
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

To be called names, obviously.

What was everyone else thinking?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It's been my experience that every single helpful poster on these forums, every single one, will eventually be called out as a mean, hateful, negative bully at some point or another no matter how many smilies they add to their posts.

Seriously, I've been called mean/troll for: using copy/paste advice posts, suggesting that someone who feels sick after eating breakfast doesn't need to eat breakfast, linking people to the sexypants thread, asking people further questions about what their routine looks like when they ask for help, because I called someone out when they implied that asking someone to open their diary is bullying.

Because the accusation gets thrown around so often, threads like this actually add to the negative atmosphere instead of helping it. When everyone on the boards gets called mean on a regular basis, any post that calls out the "mean people" without specifying who they are talking about will end up attacking everyone.

There is some negativity and aggressiveness on these boards that goes above and beyond what should be here. But it's not the norm and is often called out when these regulars that you seem to dislike see it. Report it (use the actual report function, not the flags that no one pays attention to) or call it out where you see it, but posts like this are never going to solve the problem that you think exists.

All of this.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Please learn to use the quote function.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Sinistrous wrote: »

Oh, yeah. A lot of people are hangry and don't even realize it. Calories in, calories out.

I've Missed This Place!

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Threads like these make me want to release the kraken. But then I'd feel guilty and have regrets.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Jacwhite22 wrote: »
    Sinistrous wrote: »

I've Missed This Place!

Great. It's contagious.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    lmao-o.gif
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Yes I notice it. It seems like regular posters have met their goals and have developed a gang member mentality to attack any outsiders . If theyve met their goals and are feeling the need to be mean they should try to do it in real life and see what kind of response theyd get. They may make someone cry or get a much needed punch in the face. Lol sorry was that mean ?

So, someone who has lost 100+ pounds and reached their goal no longer has value here?

do you actually by heart even if i my self don't agree with her opinion think that that was what she meant ? really?...

No im saying if you've been sucessful then you shouldnt be so hard on new members . Otherwise wtf are you doing here ????

I haven't been successful. Can I continue to be "hard on new members"?

*kitten* off bit ch

Complains about meanness... is the first person in the thread to tell people to **** off and call names.

I find that's usually how it goes.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options

It sounds like you had a choice and chose to focus on what you perceived to be the 'negative'. In public forums you need to learn to glean what you want and leave the rest behind... unless you like the drama.

You are correct, that's what I did and that's what I need to learn. However, it doesn't change the fact that calling other people stupid or hypocrites is mean, and that's what this thread is about. I realize that threads being "stolen" is just the way of the internet, but that's still the original point. It's not about how the people react to name-calling, it's about the name-calling itself. Oh, and I did also take the advice. I just didn't put it to use until last week, when I decided to start learning exactly what you suggested and make a comeback.

I'm confident that most people in MFP are actually really nice people. We just need to remember that we're all exactly that. People.

Yes, I'm the kind of girl who believes in love and peace and probably farts rainbows and fairy dust.

hanna i'm pretty much like you, is like some poster wrote in the first page i think, you need to be the change that YOU want to see in the world, i don't know you but i think we have similar personality, and what this public forums/ social media/real life have show me is that you need to be you and don't expect the world to change but really to grow some hard skin and never everrr let anything get you.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    LOLwut?

:huh:

Ooooh...or the other option, of course. Troll.

Are you new here?

And in what way is calling me names for not understanding your post an example of the positivity you wish to see in others?

You claim the negativity is a problem. I disagree and ask that you provide examples because I haven't seen them. Your response is to say I must be new because I haven't seen these examples you claim are so widespread.

Which reminds me...that I believe a common problem in disagreements in the forums here is a failure to use basic logic (in addition to an inability/unwillingness to provide support for even the most basic assertions).

I know the more mature path is to ignore outrageous statements, like the one you made about eating kilograms of sugar. But I can't seem to help myself...

As much as I like being called willfully ignorant...You made a claim that sugar is only turned into fat when consumed in kilogram amounts, a remark you later admitted was hyperbole. I countered and presented science-based links showing that human beings can indeed turn any calories we are capable of digesting into fat (carbohydrate, excluding soluble fiber, protein, and fat). Even when excess sugar consumption (and the example you gave was excessive, and not an example of a calorie deficit for most) does not go directly to fat, it encourages the body to store more fat, and thus leads to fat gain. The "common knowledge" that the body stores excess sugar as fat is a simplification, but it is a common message:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/408673-does-sugar-turn-into-fat/
    "High Blood Sugar Leads to High Body Fat

According to the National Council on Strength and Fitness, the two most common sources of carbohydrates in the American diet are high-fructose corn syrup and sucrose. These refined sugars, which are added to many foods, lack the vitamins, minerals, proteins and fiber found in complex carbohydrates. These "empty calories" can cause blood sugar levels to spike, which in turn causes insulin levels to rise. Insulin is a hormone released by the body that helps regulate blood sugar levels. If sugar is not quickly used for energy, insulin removes it from the blood, and it is then converted into triglycerides in the liver. These triglycerides can then be stored as body fat."

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20080731/fructose-may-make-you-fatter
    "They found that lipogenesis -- the process by which sugars are turned to body fat -- increased significantly when the breakfast drinks contained fructose.

In addition, the study suggested that when fructose is eaten with fat or before fat is consumed, the fat is more likely to be stored rather than burned, Parks says."

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa14.htm
    "Once the fructose (fruit sugar) enters the liver and liver glycogen is already full, then it cannot be used by the muscles for glycogen or energy production.

It is converted to fat and released back into the bloodstream to be stored as adipose tissue. "

http://ideas.time.com/2012/12/27/what-you-need-to-know-about-sugar/
    "Myth 2. Fructose is turned into glucose in the body.

Maybe. If you’re energy depleted (i.e. an elite athlete), fructose can be converted to glycogen (liver starch) as a storehouse for ready energy, which can then be fished out of your liver if your body needs glucose in the future (for more exercise or if you’re starving). But most of us aren’t energy depleted, so fructose gets turned into liver fat, driving insulin resistance."

That the body turns excess sugar into fat is the message that is given out by pretty much any "plain speech" source out there.

If my ignorance (backed up by the studies I've found) bothers you, please point me to current research that says that sugar consumed in excess rarely becomes body fat. :smile: (quotes have been shortened so reply could be posted.
    December 30, 2014 8:35PM Flag Quote ·
    fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104
    We are all going to die!!!!!!!

Nope...not new here. And unfortunately I now see the irony of this entire thread because, of course, it has (inevitably) turned into a thread of animated gifs, name calling/know-it-all remarks, etc. This is just a brief example from someone asking a question about sugar on the forums just now.

Most threads that have >5 pages have several posts along these lines. I say "most" to avoid the perception I'm making a blanket statements that there is absolutely NO helpful information in the forums...not true-there can be. And, as someone has pointed out already, a lot of times that helpful information is overlooked because of the drama (see above) of other posters...whether they create an account to stir up conflict or they really do believe that eating nothing but protein powder and drinking lemon juice will really be the answers to everyone's problems...it seems unavoidable that many originally legitimate questions will evolve into this sort of mayhem...funny though the gifs may be.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Threads like these make me want to release the kraken. But then I'd feel guilty and have regrets.

2010-04-06.jpg

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Wait, did a mean people thread just become a sugar thread?
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Wait, did a mean people thread just become a sugar thread?

I was just about to ask the same thing...I thought I was in another freaking sugar thread for a minute.

Not directed at you diannethegeek, but *cough* look up how likely DNL is to occur *cough*