Does Anyone Notice The Rampant Negativity Here?

Options

Replies

• sexymonicat
    Options
    Yes I notice it. It seems like regular posters have met their goals and have developed a gang member mentality to attack any outsiders . If theyve met their goals and are feeling the need to be mean they should try to do it in real life and see what kind of response theyd get. They may make someone cry or get a much needed punch in the face. Lol sorry was that mean ?
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I can't say that I see a lot of bullying here (of course 'bullying thresholds' are strictly subjective) or, strictly speaking, negativity.

Sincere question: do you label responses that question an OP's assertion as 'negativity'? I see a lot of that, but I personally consider those posts and the resulting dialog (or arguing, if that's the way you see it) a public service.

This. I don't generally see negativity, I mostly see people trying (sometimes inefficiently or unsuccessfully) to correct misconceptions held by OP's, or even people offering incorrect or dangerous advice.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    robin52077 wrote: »
    been here since 2010 and it hasn't changed, in fact it might be tamer now.

You want negativity? That colorful font is stupid, annoying, and makes me want to punch a baby.

Agreed. It is really annoying and childish.

Brb. e-crying :)
  • the_arghbowl
    the_arghbowl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Sinistrous wrote: »

You want negativity? That colorful font is stupid, annoying, and makes me want to punch a baby.

I'M SORRY, IS THIS BETTER????!!?!?!
    Just for you <3

Stop hijacking the thread.

Rude.
  • JackKopCh
    JackKopCh Posts: 8,044 Member
    Options
    Woah! There is some people with really big branches up their anuses! :open_mouth:
    First I've seen on here!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    You think this is negative, try a mommy forum, a bride forum, or a political forum... you will see this one covered in glitter and rainbows afterward...

My advice... grow a thicker skin and don't take everything on a forum so seriously.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I don't really see any bullying here... sure, people can be blunt, but most of it is just differing opinions. That, or people getting annoyed at some of the bad unscientific advice that keeps floating around. In which case I think it's necessary to speak out against these so that new people don't get the wrong ideas. Personally I've found that most people are friendly and helpful :smile:
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's alive and well here, and no, not every instance is well-intended advice taken the wrong by an oversensitive person.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Yes I notice it. It seems like regular posters have met their goals and have developed a gang member mentality to attack any outsiders . If theyve met their goals and are feeling the need to be mean they should try to do it in real life and see what kind of response theyd get. They may make someone cry or get a much needed punch in the face. Lol sorry was that mean ?

So, someone who has lost 100+ pounds and reached their goal no longer has value here?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I've actually seen the mods nuke colorful posts shortly after the MFP Forum 2.0. Am surprised they stopped. Perhaps they've adjusted their stance on this...or perhaps they just haven't noticed...or maybe the conspiracy theorists are right that they actually treat certain users differently than others. *shrug*
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options

ohhh that font dear god, i just scroll fast down.
  • sexymonicat
    Options
    I also hate when you reply to a post or you rant and someone trys to correct the way you feel about something by saying the way youre feeling is wrong in some way just because they dont agree with it. For example= person: I dont care what people think. Hater : well as a human being you should me: okay lol stop hating
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

*sigh*

1. Please provide examples. Heck, please provide even ONE example.

2. The people I know on MFP that I also know IRL behave similarly. I appreciate the same level of bluntness online that I do offline.

3. I may have reached my goal, but I haven't reached my goalS. There are always other goals to reach. I am...as well as others are...not one and done.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    Sinistrous wrote: »

I'M SORRY, IS THIS BETTER????!!?!?!
    Just for you <3

Stop hijacking the thread.

Rude.

You look familiar. Who is the human next to you??
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I have learned alot from even negative posters. It brings out a lot of unexpected information. :)
  • lindsayforlife
    lindsayforlife Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I was referring more to negative attitudes and snappy responses people have to what I would take as someone genuinely wanting to know about a subject (say low carb diets). I'm not going to go looking for specific examples, but having been back for 6 days after a six month lapse in tracking it just seems like the forum is not what it used to be.

Also, having been fat my entire life I'm well aware of what bullying entails, and I have seen it here. Someone complaining about pain suffered during exercise and other respondents saying things like, "You'll never lose weight if you don't move"...things like that - or "suck it up". That's not constructive and can be hurtful to people like me who are morbidly obese and have extreme pain, not only exercising, but moving altogether. And when someone is coming here looking for support, I'm sorry - but sarcasm can be very hurtful and discouraging.

I'm not saying that all threads have these types of tone, but it is something that seems more evident than it was before.

Also, this isn't a negative thread. I'm asking a question and addressing it in a conscientious way.
  • JackKopCh
    JackKopCh Posts: 8,044 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for outside the chit chat section of the forum, but if anyone thinks there is any negativity in the this part of the forum they are mistaken and delusional.... O_o

Was the thread aimed at this section of the forums? :\
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

So, someone who has lost 100+ pounds and reached their goal no longer has value here?

do you actually by heart even if i my self don't agree with her opinion think that that was what she meant ? really?...