Does Anyone Notice The Rampant Negativity Here?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Yes I notice it. It seems like regular posters have met their goals and have developed a gang member mentality to attack any outsiders . If theyve met their goals and are feeling the need to be mean they should try to do it in real life and see what kind of response theyd get. They may make someone cry or get a much needed punch in the face. Lol sorry was that mean ?

I am a regular poster. I have met my initial goal. Am I mean? Am I in a 'gang' and attack 'outsiders'?

I have been on here nearly 3 years, and other than the forums being much harder to navigate now, its pretty much the same as it always was.

• Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    JackKopCh wrote: »
    Sinistrous wrote: »
    I can't speak for outside the chit chat section of the forum, but if anyone thinks there is any negativity in the this part of the forum they are mistaken and delusional.... O_o

Was the thread aimed at this section of the forums? :\

-patpat-

Some people need drama in their lives to function properly.

Ish okie :3
    Let's go build a snowman :D
    No! D:
    czycw53cset7.gif

Lemon flavored snowcones? xD lol..
    I'll take your pug pillow >:O!!!

2ji81ylyu3l4.gif

Jks <3

5b17713f63bd4861d9dc57a7d1ff08d8.png
    I'm bringing you with me, Cas! Even if my soul splits!
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Nope
  • Sinistrous
    Options
    I can't speak for outside the chit chat section of the forum, but if anyone thinks there is any negativity in the this part of the forum they are mistaken and delusional.... O_o

-patpat-

tumblr_n1s4nouk3R1r3nf5do1_500.gif

yes_the_book_of_mormon_gif_by_squallykins-d3iybrf.gif
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I've been on this site for over 4 years, and it's really starting to bother me how negative a lot of responders are to people's questions/comments. It hasn't always been this way - I assure you.

I remember several years ago, posters would ask any manner of questions and were met with kind, pleasant and encouraging responses. I find it very discouraging that even simple questions are met with bullying, offense and sarcasm. This is not what this site was created for.

I miss the kind, generous and patient responses to all types of questions. We are all here for a common goal - to better our health and in turn, our lives. Please join me in continuing the MFP tradition that has been all but lost and provide a safe, encouraging and non-judgemental place for people from all backgrounds, all weights, all levels of knowledge and all levels of success. Not everyone is the same, but as a community we should all be welcoming and kind.

You've been here 4 years and you have 79 posts? You must be very active...

The issue I have seen repeatedly since I have been here goes like this:

Person A - Guys I am new here but I am doing this super cleanse/Sugar is the devil / Don't lift heavy weights because you will get bulky/ Carbs make you fat

Person B - Tries to help them by citing numerous studies showing their claim is wrong and asks them to please refrain from posting fallacies

Person A, C, D, E, F and G - Tell person B to stop being an *kitten* and attacking person A. We are all special snowflakes and not everyone's body reacts the same. Maybe their body does store special toxins that need to be cleaned with a coffee enema.

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    TIL

"You'll never lose weight if you don't move". and "suck it up"

Is bullying.

:noway:
    Hmms, they could both be considered examples of helping someone, no?

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Yes I notice it. It seems like regular posters have met their goals and have developed a gang member mentality to attack any outsiders . If theyve met their goals and are feeling the need to be mean they should try to do it in real life and see what kind of response theyd get. They may make someone cry or get a much needed punch in the face. Lol sorry was that mean ?

I am a regular poster. I have met my initial goal. Am I mean? Am I in a 'gang' and attack 'outsiders'?

I have been on here nearly 3 years, and other than the forums being much harder to navigate now, its pretty much the same as it always was.

Would NOT punch in face.

I might cry though.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    robin52077 wrote: »
    been here since 2010 and it hasn't changed, in fact it might be tamer now.

You want negativity? That colorful font is stupid, annoying, and makes me want to punch a baby.

I'M SORRY, IS THIS BETTER????!!?!?!
    Just for you <3

i love the colourful font it makes me smirk
  • Sinistrous
    Options

-patpat-

No! D:
    czycw53cset7.gif

I'm not digging the yellow... it's hard to read... lol!!

You make a valid point. This should be easier. Ask and you shall receive.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. Even legitimate questions are met with sarcasm, trolling, etc...unfortunately that's the forums for you (as they are now). Other forums spark debate and problems because as someone said earlier, many buy into diet myths or the same topics get posted over and over (which is inevitable due to new users coming to the forums...people who are new to dieting, etc.)
  • Cranquistador
    Options

-patpat-

No! D:
    czycw53cset7.gif

Oh rlly?
    :bigsmile:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    What I do notice a lot is people starting threads with unsustainable, unneccesary, unhealthy, or even downright foolish ideas on how to lose weight, and then crying "bully" when people tell them that their idea is unsustainable, unneccesary, unhealthy, or even downright foolish.
  • Sinistrous
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    robin52077 wrote: »
    been here since 2010 and it hasn't changed, in fact it might be tamer now.

You want negativity? That colorful font is stupid, annoying, and makes me want to punch a baby.

I'M SORRY, IS THIS BETTER????!!?!?!
    Just for you <3

i love the colourful font it makes me smirk

How are you not on my friends list. This has to be fixed immediately. I DEMAND THIS BE FIXED!!!
    -Attempts to fix-
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options

-patpat-

No! D:
    czycw53cset7.gif

in the name of MFP and my eyes thank you, now i would read you
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options

People who have met their goals likely know a thing or two and have been around long enough to have lost patience with certain thread subjects... maybe you're just misinterpreting exhaustion as 'meanness'.

I will say this; there's a lot of snark on these threads, but how that snark is interpreted (humor, tough love, attack) has more to do with the reader than the writer.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    What I do notice a lot is people starting threads with unsustainable, unneccesary, unhealthy, or even downright foolish ideas on how to lose weight, and then crying "bully" when people tell them that their idea is unsustainable, unneccesary, unhealthy, or even downright foolish.

Yeah this is pretty much the only thing I've noticed. Or if someone posts a crazy diet/ fad/ or weight loss "secret" and people post articles and studies to explain how they don't work - people posting the articles get labelled as a bully
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    MSeel1984 wrote: »
    I know what you mean. Even legitimate questions are met with sarcasm, trolling, etc...unfortunately that's the forums for you (as they are now). Other forums spark debate and problems because as someone said earlier, many buy into diet myths or the same topics get posted over and over (which is inevitable due to new users coming to the forums...people who are new to dieting, etc.)

im-so-tired.gif

Examples. Please.

Even one example would be a great start. Even. One.

tumblr_inline_n563amB00m1sohk3w.gif
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    Like.

Lol, I almost hit the flag button to like this.
  • sexymonicat
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »

So, someone who has lost 100+ pounds and reached their goal no longer has value here?

do you actually by heart even if i my self don't agree with her opinion think that that was what she meant ? really?...

No im saying if you've been sucessful then you shouldnt be so hard on new members . Otherwise wtf are you doing here ????
  • JackKopCh
    JackKopCh Posts: 8,044 Member
    Options