Does Anyone Notice The Rampant Negativity Here?

Options

Replies

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    If sarcasm is bullying then I'm a bully with every single one of my students.

oh... wait...
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    :D and you know the best answer that they got for you? ohhhh you're weak grow up , it's the internet
  • the_arghbowl
    the_arghbowl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Negative thread is negative.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I can't say that I see a lot of bullying here (of course 'bullying thresholds' are strictly subjective) or, strictly speaking, negativity.

Sincere question: do you label responses that question an OP's assertion as 'negativity'? I see a lot of that, but I personally consider those posts and the resulting dialog (or arguing, if that's the way you see it) a public service.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I've been on this site for over 4 years, and it's really starting to bother me how negative a lot of responders are to people's questions/comments. It hasn't always been this way - I assure you.

I remember several years ago, posters would ask any manner of questions and were met with kind, pleasant and encouraging responses. I find it very discouraging that even simple questions are met with bullying, offense and sarcasm. This is not what this site was created for.

I miss the kind, generous and patient responses to all types of questions. We are all here for a common goal - to better our health and in turn, our lives. Please join me in continuing the MFP tradition that has been all but lost and provide a safe, encouraging and non-judgemental place for people from all backgrounds, all weights, all levels of knowledge and all levels of success. Not everyone is the same, but as a community we should all be welcoming and kind.

I've been here almost four years and can assure you that it has always been this way*. Perhaps it isn't an actual change but is more of a difference in your perception?

I'd love some examples of the negativity you think has increased though. I'm always amazed when people offer this viewpoint but are completely unable to provide examples. If it's so rampant, shouldn't this be easy to provide?

* I'm not convinced there is a negativity problem though. I'm looking forward to the examples you provide to support your position. Perhaps I just haven't been in the "right" forum threads/categories.
  • auntchellebelle
    auntchellebelle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I let it get to me the 1st go round. But now I don't care if someone is a jerk. I just quit replying when people start their mess.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Oh and congratulations - I think this is the first mean people thread of the year.

• yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    JackKopCh wrote: »
    I thought everyone I met so far was really nice and positive! ^_^

I agree. I seldom see any negative posts. All the poeple on my friends list are beyond nice and supportive! A few of them have become very close friends but hey theres always gotta be that one bad apple!
  • laurasnyder411
    laurasnyder411 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Everyone love everyone haha
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    As grown ups, we do have the ability and the option to ignore people. I recommend exercising that option in addition to your normally scheduled work out program.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    Oh and congratulations - I think this is the first mean people thread of the year.

Rofl. It has begun!
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options

^^^ This...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    jams0411 wrote: »
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    Welcome to the world of social media. Negativity, trolling and general inhumanity has become the natural order of things. I feel your pain and understand where you are coming from.

yess i see that so commonly people who become lion king when they are on a social media but in real like are little *kitten* cats who wouldn't dear to say not even close what they say behind a computer

Perhaps this is more of a reflection of yourself than of others. You know that *you* behave in a way online that differs from off and conclude that others likely do too.

Or perhaps I'm just extrapolating from my own personal behavior. I'm far more filtered online than off because I can't read the IRL reaction to help me adjust my words as needed.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    been here since 2010 and it hasn't changed, in fact it might be tamer now.

You want negativity? That colorful font is stupid, annoying, and makes me want to punch a baby.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    cwlsr wrote: »
    I will keep it short! As a fairly new user of MFP I don't mind the negative comments as much as I do the child like or immature comments when someone has asked a serious question or made a serious remark. I just shoot past those comments when I see that they are not serious.

i do the same. :)
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    robin52077 wrote: »

You want negativity? That colorful font is stupid, annoying, and makes me want to punch a baby.

I'M SORRY, IS THIS BETTER????!!?!?!
    Just for you <3
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    robin52077 wrote: »

Agreed. It is really annoying and childish.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    yay! all caps! that makes it SOOOO much less annoying....

lol