Does Anyone Notice The Rampant Negativity Here?

Options
lindsayforlife
lindsayforlife Posts: 93 Member
I've been on this site for over 4 years, and it's really starting to bother me how negative a lot of responders are to people's questions/comments. It hasn't always been this way - I assure you.

I remember several years ago, posters would ask any manner of questions and were met with kind, pleasant and encouraging responses. I find it very discouraging that even simple questions are met with bullying, offense and sarcasm. This is not what this site was created for.

I miss the kind, generous and patient responses to all types of questions. We are all here for a common goal - to better our health and in turn, our lives. Please join me in continuing the MFP tradition that has been all but lost and provide a safe, encouraging and non-judgemental place for people from all backgrounds, all weights, all levels of knowledge and all levels of success. Not everyone is the same, but as a community we should all be welcoming and kind.

Replies

• JackKopCh
    JackKopCh Posts: 8,044 Member
    Options
    I thought everyone I met so far was really nice and positive! ^_^
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the world of social media. Negativity, trolling and general inhumanity has become the natural order of things. I feel your pain and understand where you are coming from.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    No.

Hehe, just kidding.
    I'm still nice... But I don't come into the forums much these days...
  • jams0411
    jams0411 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    yepp i hear U and understand you 100 %! this is not how it was, but you know what i've realize it's the same people that pretty troll around on every post, like really it's so obvious the same people, they read a post and don't ever care to help or answer what is that the OP have ask, and only focus in one idea or line and start firing back.

i just ignore it and you know what they say "be the change you want to be see in the world" and for me that include be kind and respectful with someone who doesn't matter if on other side of the world on a computer that i have no clue who is it

but again thank god there are still a lot of really amazing people here
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    i really haven't noticed this.
  • jams0411
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    Welcome to the world of social media. Negativity, trolling and general inhumanity has become the natural order of things. I feel your pain and understand where you are coming from.

yess i see that so commonly people who become lion king when they are on a social media but in real like are little *kitten* cats who wouldn't dear to say not even close what they say behind a computer
  • JackKopCh
    JackKopCh Posts: 8,044 Member
    Options
    Where is this negativity? I'm actually interested in seeing it! :open_mouth:
  • jams0411
    Options
    JackKopCh wrote: »
    Where is this negativity? I'm actually interested in seeing it! :open_mouth:
    hahahahhahaa no! please stay in your bubble , :# plus i love your post
  • auntchellebelle
    auntchellebelle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've been on this site for over 4 years, and it's really starting to bother me how negative a lot of responders are to people's questions/comments. It hasn't always been this way - I assure you.

I remember several years ago, posters would ask any manner of questions and were met with kind, pleasant and encouraging responses. I find it very discouraging that even simple questions are met with bullying, offense and sarcasm. This is not what this site was created for.

I miss the kind, generous and patient responses to all types of questions. We are all here for a common goal - to better our health and in turn, our lives. Please join me in continuing the MFP tradition that has been all but lost and provide a safe, encouraging and non-judgemental place for people from all backgrounds, all weights, all levels of knowledge and all levels of success. Not everyone is the same, but as a community we should all be welcoming and kind.

This is why I left the 1st time. The people were awful. I decided it was better to pay someone who would be nicer. I learned a lot and came back to just track my calories.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    One thing you have to learn about venturing off to MFP forums: This is the internet. People have their own opinions. You have your own opinions as well, and you are 100% entitled to them. They are 100% entitled to theirs. Agree to disagree. It's the internet. These people do not and should not affect your daily life.
  • Sinistrous
    Options
    If they're negative, just play along with it. Half the time, we're just being sarcastic (if it's the chit-chat fun and games part of the site).
    We mean no harm.
    We bite, but not the hand that feeds us because I can guarantee that the next person is just as hangry as you are.

HAVE FUN!!! :)
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    No.
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I just wanna say that mfp is much more tame then most forums I seen
  • Sinistrous
    Options
    No.

<3
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    The grass is always greener. There have always been plenty of negative people and there always will be plenty of negative people. Whether you choose to let that cloud your vision is up to you.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Nope. It's just you. :flowerforyou:
  • cwlsr
    cwlsr Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I will keep it short! As a fairly new user of MFP I don't mind the negative comments as much as I do the child like or immature comments when someone has asked a serious question or made a serious remark. I just shoot past those comments when I see that they are not serious.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    There is no bullying on this site - if you think there is then you have no idea what bullying actually is.
  • Sinistrous
    Options
    cwlsr wrote: »
    I will keep it short! As a fairly new user of MFP I don't mind the negative comments as much as I do the child like or immature comments when someone has asked a serious question or made a serious remark. I just shoot past those comments when I see that they are not serious.

Yes, this. I only post "serious" comments on the other parts of the forums. However, on the chit chat forums, I just talk as I would to anyone else standing in front of me.

Yes, indeed some people do need to learn proper etiquette, but behind the safety of the monitor.. Why do they want to bother? :P lol.

Love the way you look at it, though :)
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I think this is a super nice site, however, I also find that it's a bit of "tough love." Unlike most forums though I don't see name-calling, and outright put downs, but I do see some impatience. I'm new here and I'm already impatient with these dag gone sugar posts!!