Eating VERY clean and tons of protein but still hungry

Options

Replies

• DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

its not an opinion ..food = energy ..nothing else..that is a fact...

No. Food is not = energy nothing else that is a fact.

People have different tastes. You might love brussel sprouts while I think they taste like dirty socks.

People have different histories with food. You might associate eating ham with Thanksgiving and Christmas, while I associate eating ham with breaking religious rules.

People have different reactions to food. You might eat four Oreos and not give the bag another thought, while I eat four Oreos and spend the next six hours stuck in an agonizing mental battle between wanting to eat more and not wanting to eat more.

What you eat is fine for you.

That doesn't make it fine for everyone.

You are not the center of the universe and all else is but a mirror reflection of you.

Sorry, bro.

• ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I will have 1 cheat meal a week for some much needed indulgence, but other than that I am satisfied with the food :)

I'm glad you are feeling better about yourself - for me, eating junk food made me feel better in the short term. Now, eating more reasonably makes me feel better in the long term.

Cheat day - There are no cheat days. You planned for it and you will stay within your goals for the week. It is not a cheat, it is simply the way you live. No problem with that.

• da_bears1008
    Options
    not one to judge because I'm an "all things in moderation" kind of gal, but did DQ recently come out with a "clean" blizzard that I don't know about?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    cebreisch wrote: »
    I had that same question for my nutritionist some time ago. She said to increase my fiber. That will help immensely!!!! It really helped me a lot!!!

Yes - I have been eating more than my goal. In the past few days, adding a salad of 2 cups of spinach or romaine to each meal really helped cut the hunger. (I ate other veg too, including the daily 1/4-1/2 cup of beans or lentils I committed to last week.)

I also noticed that I'm less hungry on days I do cardio. Not everyone's like that, I know, but yes in my case.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    SquiffyQ72 wrote: »
    I am 257lbs 31yr old female. I started MFP last Monday and have lost 8lbs in 9 days. I eat VERY clean, no crap. I am starving!!!! What can I do?

Hi Allison!
    It took me awhile to suss out MFP with the calorie thing and figuring stuff out so I wasn't hungry too.
    Just keep in mind that this is new. If you're hungry, don't be afraid to eat, just make good choices.
    For me, I'm 42 and 320 lbs, and I have a lot of booty to shed! I found by switching to 6 meals-ish a day (I'm lazy about tracking right now, as I'm dealing with the flu, but farther back, you can see it in my snacks, though you can set it to log multiple meals a day instead of the standard 3), my hunger left.
    I'm not talking meat & potatoes here for meals either. I have fruit for breakfast, a whole grain type granola somethingorother for a little bulk around 10ish, for lunch, I keep it lighter, I have a snack shortly before leaving work (usually grapes - they're a huge fave, especially in summer when they're not $9 a bag like now!), and then eat a decent supper.

It really helps to break things down during the day (and might be easier for a busy mom too!) and doesn't put so much pressure on suddenly 'having' to cram 1000 calories in to a meal, which means typically bad ideas.

It's okay to experiment. Plot your recipes, plan your meals a few days ahead (a week if you can!) and you'll find you'll figure it out.

And yeah -- the hemp hearts comments - HUGE for me in the morning. I throw a bunch in to my morning fruit smoothies. The earthy taste is different, but it's really hearty.

OH! Something else too! (sorry - I'm long winded!) I found that by switching to whole foods (trust me - I'm the farthest away from being a nutritionist in the universe!), which meant wearing a hole through Google and sorting through websites, I learned that they fill me up MILES better.
    I eat NOTHING from a box, and very little from a can unless it's whole itself (like canned tomatoes, kidney beans - no salt added, btw). No more white rice, but brown rice is miles more filling. I love a good rice stir fry (I typically do not mix my starches and protiens though, for no medical reason other than it's easier to digest and easier on my system, in my uneducated opinion).

So don't be afraid to stop calling what you're doing a diet. Diets to me ring of a lot of 'can't eat that!' garbage.
    Lifestyle choices let you eat whatever you want - with smart choices.
    Also - keep your sugar (crap sugar, like white sugar) as low as possible. No pop, candy, etc because it just makes you hungry.

And: If you're not hungry enough to eat something you're not all that a fan of (for me, it's an apple), then you're just bored. Go for a glass of water instead!

Throw me a friend request if you like - extra support, ideas and recipes are always a good addition :)

On mixing starches and proteins - there is no evidence that this is hard on the digestive system. Some very healthy foods come naturally with carbohydrates and proteins mixed (i.e. beans). Those with diabetes should always pair carbohydrates with proteins, as the protein slows digestion, preventing blood glucose spikes. Keep in mind, there are a lot of people who are diabetic, or prediabetic and don't know yet, who would benefit from pairing their carbohydrates with protiens. Combining fiber (i.e. fruits/vegetables - carbs) with protein is one way to ensure filling meals.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi Guys!

Just a friendly notice that this thread has been cleaned up a little to remove some posts that were off topic and rude. Please remember that calling other users names, retaliating, and/or taking a post off-topic (i.e. hijacking) is against the community terms of service. If you feel a post has violated the community rules, please report it and a moderator will take a look at it.

Cheers!
    davis_em
  • novembersuse
    novembersuse Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Really well done on such a great start! You're obviously doing something right :) Apart from all the other good advice, give yourself a chance to adjust to eating differently. Your hunger levels will catch up with your willpower before too long.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

People have different tastes. You might love brussel sprouts while I think they taste like dirty socks.

People have different histories with food. You might associate eating ham with Thanksgiving and Christmas, while I associate eating ham with breaking religious rules.

People have different reactions to food. You might eat four Oreos and not give the bag another thought, while I eat four Oreos and spend the next six hours stuck in an agonizing mental battle between wanting to eat more and not wanting to eat more.

You are not the center of the universe and all else is but a mirror reflection of you.

Sorry, bro.

Does not matter that you cannot control yourself around oreos…at the end of the day it is just energy that your body uses.

See what you posted is "opinion"…what I posed is a fact. Food is energy that your body breaks down and then uses to fuel itself.

What I like to eat and you like to eat does not change the essential fact that food is energy.

feel free to come and play again sometime when you have wrapped our brain around that concept..

bro…or should I say "troll"
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    not one to judge because I'm an "all things in moderation" kind of gal, but did DQ recently come out with a "clean" blizzard that I don't know about?

if it didn't touch the floor then its clean enough for me :) lol and ummm blizzard.. my favorite!
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Add more dietary fiber to your diet, like protein it's very filling. Dark leafy greens, squashes, sweet potatoes, etc.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Also, some hunger is normal while dieting, especially the first few weeks and especially if you revamped your diet and are losing weight quickly. You get used to eating less. And a little hunger is not an emergency.
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I couldn't read thru all the responses. But I found then when I first started watching my intake, I would be starving in between meals...what I found helped is that rather then doing 3 meals and a snack a day, I generally do breakfast, early lunch, late lunch, dinner, snack. Good job keeping up protein, but also work upping fiber for a fuller longer feel. And finally water water and more water! If I feel hungry I will try to drink a cup or 2 of water and then wait a bit..if the hunger remains its time for a snack, but more often then not the hunger subsides. Best wishes!!
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options

Sorry, bro.

Well said! There seems to be a common theme on MFP that if you choose not to eat pizza or cookies, etc. that you are wrong, have a bad relationship with food, are deprived, miserable and will fail. In the past, I struggled with when to stop overeating "junk" so I stay away from it. The difference now (compared to when I lost weight before) is that I realize I can't just go back to bad habits as soon as my goals are reached. Some people can have one cookie and then stop. Some can't. I would rather not even have the internal battle and just have some other thing I enjoy that won't sabotage my goals. Will I ever eat candy or pizza? Probably. But even if I never did, I wouldn't be miserable. Seems to me that if not having a food can make me miserable then that's a worse relationship with food than just choosing to abstain. There are plenty of people who, for health or other reasons, cannot have sugary foods or high fat foods. Does that mean they are doomed to a life of misery? All of my friend who never seem to "diet" or have issues with weight gain have one thing in common. They don't obsess about food. That's what I'm striving for.

There is a big money industry (fitness & bodybuilding) where WHAT you eat makes a big difference to your success. The most successful bodybuilders and fitness models wouldn't look the way they look if they ate pizza and the like whenever they had the urge.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »

Sorry, bro.

Well said! There seems to be a common theme on MFP that if you choose not to eat pizza or cookies, etc. that you are wrong, have a bad relationship with food, are deprived, miserable and will fail. In the past, I struggled with when to stop overeating "junk" so I stay away from it. The difference now (compared to when I lost weight before) is that I realize I can't just go back to bad habits as soon as my goals are reached. Some people can have one cookie and then stop. Some can't. I would rather not even have the internal battle and just have some other thing I enjoy that won't sabotage my goals. Will I ever eat candy or pizza? Probably. But even if I never did, I wouldn't be miserable. Seems to me that if not having a food can make me miserable then that's a worse relationship with food than just choosing to abstain. There are plenty of people who, for health or other reasons, cannot have sugary foods or high fat foods. Does that mean they are doomed to a life of misery? All of my friend who never seem to "diet" or have issues with weight gain have one thing in common. They don't obsess about food. That's what I'm striving for.

There is a big money industry (fitness & bodybuilding) where WHAT you eat makes a big difference to your success. The most successful bodybuilders and fitness models wouldn't look the way they look if they ate pizza and the like whenever they had the urge.

Wrong
  • ndj1979
    Options

Sorry, bro.

Again, what you posed is opinion...you think food is junk = opinion.

I said food is energy that your body uses to fuel itself = fact.

Going back to OP she said she eats clean and is "starving" I suggested she add in something she likes so that she is not starving and that she learns that food is not good or bad, and you can eat the foods you like and still hit your goals.

and your comment about bodybuilders is dead wrong.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Sorry, bro.

This statement really couldn't be any more wrong.

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Just in to say...it's nice to see an OP that can take some critical advice without getting all pissy.

Good for you, OP. Read the sexy pants thread - it's really helpful. Good luck to you!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Omg i don't mean dirty ffs. I just mean good, whole, healthy. No need to be a douche

so i am a "douche" for pointing out that there is no "bad" food and you can eat ice cream…hmmmm OK ..

define "good, whole, healthy" food, because I have no idea what that is.

Please remember that not everyone holds the same opinions/beliefs as you do towards food.

No, it isn't.

Like most of your "facts", that is incorrect. Food contains many things, including water, vitamins and minerals. It's not just energy/calories via macronutrients.

For all the time you spend insulting, mocking, name-calling and laughing at others, you are almost always wrong. The insults do not now, nor did they ever, nor will they ever mean that you are right.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Just in to say...it's nice to see an OP that can take some critical advice without getting all pissy.

Good for you, OP. Read the sexy pants thread - it's really helpful. Good luck to you!

well she called someone a "d-bag" but the mods came in and cleaned it up ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Omg i don't mean dirty ffs. I just mean good, whole, healthy. No need to be a douche

so i am a "douche" for pointing out that there is no "bad" food and you can eat ice cream…hmmmm OK ..

define "good, whole, healthy" food, because I have no idea what that is.

Please remember that not everyone holds the same opinions/beliefs as you do towards food.

No, it isn't.

Like most of your "facts", that is incorrect. Food contains many things, including water, vitamins and minerals. Not is not just energy/calories via macronutrients.

For all the time you spend insulting, mocking, name-calling and laughing at others, you are almost always wrong. The insults do not now, nor did they ever, nor will they ever mean that you are right.

Yes, and guess what your body uses all of those things for energy to fuel it.

so at the end of the day Food = energy

If you don't understand that, then you need to go back to first grade science...or maybe call one of your DR friends and ask them ...