i'm eating more but still losing weight

Options

Replies

• Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    The scale is really a crappy way to tell what is really going on .. you need to relax and concentrate on your body composition numbers and not that lb thing. That is really what is important. I personally have gained 9 lbs in a day .. and lost 9 lbs over night. That to me is exactly why you should stay off the scale unless it is to measure your body fat or muscle mass. It just fluctuates too much to be really useful. Oh .. I am presently trying to gain too. It is not going well. Losing is so much easier.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Context:

Extract.. "Here are the facts about how excessive junk food consumption affects your body."
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    ok...I am out, this is ridiculous. I now owe SideSteel noodz as he won the bet!!
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the long timers will reject all of those links because they're not from a peer reviewed study.

Nope - I actually look at links to see if they contain references to studies and what the actual website is - please do not make assumptions.

Honestly, I am getting rather fed up with your dismissals of the 'long timers'.
    Ok, sorry. But all I see on here is anything claimed as a fact must be backed up by a peer reviewed study. People mocked me in another thread for posting a link that I thought was peer reviewed (came from a peer reviewed source, just that the article itself wasn't.)

So you accept those links as credible?
    In this situation, I would consider the Fitday and Dailymail articles credible sources, and possibly the blog.

The Daily Mail is credible? Are you familiar with it?

Also, see my comments above re understanding the scope so it can be applied, or not as the case may be.
    The funny thing is, I would say credibility depends on context. In high school, I could write papers and paragraphs citing sources like about.com, Mayoclinic, and other sources that would not be appropriate for a college level research paper. Those FitDay and Dailymail articles would definitely have worked if I was in high school.

Either way though, I do get the reasoning behind wanting a credible source when discussing things that sound fear mongering to some.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I didn't intend to cause a storm, clearly some of you have issues, but the problem is if you have to label it then it's not good, flexible diet, watching what you eat, if I wanna eat cheese cake, even the word diet means something is wrong, even eat what you want, I used to love monster drinks, to me it was just a soda with some caffeine, now where I live you have to be 18 to buy it, I don't understand what all this negativity is coming from , to me, bottom line is there is good food, there is bad food, nutrition, good nutrition, yin and a damn yang, poor guy just wanted help, I assumed, ((which was wrong of me) that maybe he was in my situation, so I said my experience, then you guys come riding like the damn Lone Ranger, asking for quotes and articles, to me it's common sense, my grandparents and parents weren't over weight, America wasn't this obese, now tell me that certain foods out there isn't bad for you? Come on, macros micros, I can care less, I wanna live a long healthy overweight life, yes I said overweight, (5'11 should be 175 because I like the thick look I wanna hit 200) and if my story helps people so be it, but I won't run it at the risk of clogging an artery.

Oh the irony. Good reposte...well presented!

Also what in the name of....are you talking about...if you have to label it then its' not good...now, that's a new one.

Nobody likes labels, that's why all this happens. I had enough, you don't believe me then fine, I wish you all the best, but from relevant past to the present those foods are doing more bad than good. All over media, news, gyms, surprised why gyms never sell Pepsi and snickers? Atleast the ones I've been to never did.

Clearly you've never been to Planet Fitness.
  • deviboy1592
    deviboy1592 Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the long timers will reject all of those links because they're not from a peer reviewed study.

Nope - I actually look at links to see if they contain references to studies and what the actual website is - please do not make assumptions.

Ok, sorry. But all I see on here is anything claimed as a fact must be backed up by a peer reviewed study. People mocked me in another thread for posting a link that I thought was peer reviewed (came from a peer reviewed source, just that the article itself wasn't.)

In this situation, I would consider the Fitday and Dailymail articles credible sources, and possibly the blog.

Also, see my comments above re understanding the scope so it can be applied, or not as the case may be.

Extract from the article.

"Young children eating a diet packed with fats, sugar and processed foods consume too few vitamins and nutrients, which means their brains never grow to optimal levels."

‘This doesn’t mean you should never give your child a fizzy drink, chips or pizza, but these foods and drinks shouldn’t dominate the diet,’ she said."

No-one is saying to only eat (or get children to eat) a bunch of food that is low in nutrients. Context and dosage...missing

Your last paragraph, I would consider those foods with little or no nutritional value.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I didn't intend to cause a storm, clearly some of you have issues, but the problem is if you have to label it then it's not good, flexible diet, watching what you eat, if I wanna eat cheese cake, even the word diet means something is wrong, even eat what you want, I used to love monster drinks, to me it was just a soda with some caffeine, now where I live you have to be 18 to buy it, I don't understand what all this negativity is coming from , to me, bottom line is there is good food, there is bad food, nutrition, good nutrition, yin and a damn yang, poor guy just wanted help, I assumed, ((which was wrong of me) that maybe he was in my situation, so I said my experience, then you guys come riding like the damn Lone Ranger, asking for quotes and articles, to me it's common sense, my grandparents and parents weren't over weight, America wasn't this obese, now tell me that certain foods out there isn't bad for you? Come on, macros micros, I can care less, I wanna live a long healthy overweight life, yes I said overweight, (5'11 should be 175 because I like the thick look I wanna hit 200) and if my story helps people so be it, but I won't run it at the risk of clogging an artery.

Also what in the name of....are you talking about...if you have to label it then its' not good...now, that's a new one.

Nobody likes labels, that's why all this happens. I had enough, you don't believe me then fine, I wish you all the best, but from relevant past to the present those foods are doing more bad than good. All over media, news, gyms, surprised why gyms never sell Pepsi and snickers? Atleast the ones I've been to never did.

Your gym doesn't sell supplements? Those don't have chemicals?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

The funny thing is, I would say credibility depends on context. In high school, I could write papers and paragraphs citing sources like about.com, Mayoclinic, and other sources that would not be appropriate for a college level research paper. Those FitDay and Dailymail articles would definitely have worked if I was in high school.

Either way though, I do get the reasoning behind wanting a credible source when discussing things that sound fear mongering to some.

Have a look at my edit (I added to explain) - I actually did look at the article and did not dismiss it out of hand. I could not look further, as no links so no way of really getting comfortable with context - so I would still be somewhat swayed by the source.

• Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Crap...posted again.
  • deviboy1592
    Options

Clearly you've never been to Planet Fitness.

I've heard about them, but never stepped inside one.
  • deviboy1592
    Options

They do, but like I said, you can't avoid all of them, right now I'm taking muscle pharm protein blend, ( waiting for the trolls to jump on that one) but I'm looking into taking a cleaner protien, even considering vega, do you have any opinions?
  • deviboy1592
    Options
    Crap...posted again.
    As you would say, "I'm still waiting for your source to tell me those foods are beneficial to our health?"
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Crap...posted again.
    As you would say, "I'm still waiting for your source to tell me those foods are beneficial to our health?"

Please tell me where I made that claim?.

You made all sorts of claims and have yet to support them.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

They do, but like I said, you can't avoid all of them, right now I'm taking muscle pharm protein blend, ( waiting for the trolls to jump on that one) but I'm looking into taking a cleaner protien, even considering vega, do you have any opinions?

Who are these trolls of which you speak?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Crap...
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Here's another thing with how you guys say I view food in relation to my attempt at bulking. I admitted in the "sweets when bulking" thread that I could stand to increase my intake of vegetables. Meanwhile, there's only but so much more room I have in my appetite to add a lot more food. I can't add a lot more non starchy vegetables (already eat plenty of potatoes) and food I consider to be "unhealthy" to my diet without feeling very full. Most liquid calorie options are out (milk - digestive issues, juice - already enough fruit in my diet, protein shakes -- would have to be lactose free and even then I think I'm getting enough protein). See the problem?
  • deviboy1592
    Options
    Crap...

You stated that these foods I speak of aren't toxic, fear mongering to call them bad for your health, presented you with articles which I'm sure aren't just pulled out of the air, stating the health risks involved with consuming those foods, call me names, and yet you can't provide one shred of evidence to defend your claim that nothing is wrong with consuming these foods. That even makes me wonder if that is actually you in that photo or someone from another website based on peer evaluation?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Here's another thing with how you guys say I view food in relation to my attempt at bulking. I admitted in the "sweets when bulking" thread that I could stand to increase my intake of vegetables. Meanwhile, there's only but so much more room I have in my appetite to add a lot more food. I can't add a lot more non starchy vegetables (already eat plenty of potatoes) and food I consider to be "unhealthy" to my diet without feeling very full. Most liquid calorie options are out (milk - digestive issues, juice - already enough fruit in my diet, protein shakes -- would have to be lactose free and even then I think I'm getting enough protein). See the problem?

Many people have no problem eating 3000 or 4000 calories a day. How do they do it? I know that you want to eat "clean" or whatever, but you just can't have it both ways. You can bulk up your calories by eating more calorie dense foods, or you can keep eating more nutrient dense foods and not be able to hit your calorie goal. There really isn't much more you can do without resorting to "chemicals."

If you look at the nutritional profile of good pizza (not the chain store crap) you'll find that it's not as bad as you think. A burger made from grass-fed beef and local cheeses and fresh bakery bread just isn't crap. You can get sodas like Jones' that are made with natural ingredients instead of the laundry list of things you've never heard of in a Coke.

I don't see where the issue is here. Pick your goal and eat accordingly.