55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    ha I'm back. turning 60 on August 25. Just read the Time magazine article on why diets don't work. pretty interesting stuff. Stuff I already am aware of but need to incorporate into my life. I gained 10 pounds since last year mostly from wine and eating out. I have picked up my activity and will once again start watching what I eat!!!
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    @krenwren Welcome back!! B)
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
  • krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. 1200 calories isn't very much food! I'm not as active as I want to be. I am not planning to "eat" back my activity calories unless I feel hungry. I can't see myself burning more than 200-300 per day with activity. We'll see!!
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You know you can do it Krenwren!
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Agree w/Nana.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Yep, me, too!
  • skinnylady2014
    skinnylady2014 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hi, glad I found this group at 63 years young with our unique situations! I lost 35 lbs on MFP in 2013-14, but then let health issues and life itself overwhelm me. Returned here two months ago and also rejoined TOPS a couple weeks ago for in-person accountability. (Was involved in TOPS 20-21 years ago.) Have lost 14 lbs. For me logging all foods is so important!!!
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    krenwren wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. 1200 calories isn't very much food! I'm not as active as I want to be. I am not planning to "eat" back my activity calories unless I feel hungry. I can't see myself burning more than 200-300 per day with activity. We'll see!!

I don't lose on 1200 healthy calories per day - and that just makes me crazy! That seems to be my maintenance point, no matter what the charts imply. I stay hungry. But at least not gaining. Dance classes 2 evenings per week, 2 miles walk every other day, yard work. Not exactly high energy but not sedentary either. At 66 wish it were easier. It's not so that's that. Absolutely REFUSE to be a fat old woman who looks like grandmothers did in the 1950s!
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    @skinnylady2014 we're glad you found us too! The key is to just keep on keeping on. You know what you need to do. Lots of good support here.
  • griffinca2
    Options
    @jwcanfield, Welcome; agree w/Nana!! BTW, have you tried lifting weights?? I'm the same age you are and I do it; I eat close to 1700 cals a day--have to eat that much to keep from losing any more weight. Start out w/light weights and build up to heavier ones. Helps build some of your muscle back (which allows you to eat more). B)
    19331953 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hopeful..
    I'm so glad to see all the comments. Please add me on. I'm almost 64 years old and determined to loose weight. I joined this app six months ago and have lost 19lbs so, far, though I also oattend weight watchers for a year now. I need to loose 33 Ibs more if l can. Just following the 1200 calories. It's not bad but sometimes real tough but I must loose. I have knee pains due to artritis and so can't walk as I use to because that was my main exercise that don't hurt my knees. Now I do abit of yoga, exercise with 6lbs on each arm for 10 min. It's not enough but I'm trying. Just want to know what food or meal plan that worked for all of you. Congratulations to all. Keep the inspiration going & keep trying.
  • griffinca2
    Options
    @19331953, welcome to our group!! I really don't follow a "meal plan." I eat pretty much anything; just watch the portion sizes. Put together something that works for you with the foods you like to eat; if you don't like something why try to eat if just because some "diet" says too, and remember that it is a lifestyle not a "diet" with an end date. Also, if you fall off (and you will); dust yourself off and start over. Good luck on your journey and remember we are here for you. B)
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Nice active group here, I've enjoyed reading all the posts. I may have even commented way back, but with this not being a forum, I forgot about this group. I've bookmarked it now so I'll need to remember to check that star button!

I'm 57, full menopause now and I'm not sure how much I've lost in terms of weight (don't own a scale and dr respects that) but I do measure. I started MFP Oct '15 with a 37" waist and by Oct '16 I was down to 29 1/2"! I followed 5:2 way of eating (1400cals 5 days & 500 cals 2 non consecutive days) and just by entering daily foods here made me aware of how much I was eating. I also do a lot of walking. Now I'm up to 30 1/2" waist, due to my lack of proper logging and too many sweets, thinking "I can eat that I'm skinny" which has increased my weight. So I'm trying to just regain a little control. I agree with @spikeyhair above.... strengthening your leg muscles supports the knee joints!! An aha moment for me a year ago! Cheers everyone! I'll be checking back here... wish this was a separate forum, interesting group!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    I haven't see the pics talked about but if it's about aging everyone will get there
  • griffinca2
    Options
    All the above are right! And the aging process you can't stop; getting old you can. Good luck and welcome to all the newbies!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!