55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• calmandpeaceful
    calmandpeaceful Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thank you Jewels. Now I think it has turned into a sinus infection, and I'm off to the doctor again. But, hopefully with antibiotics I will be back on my feet by Monday.

I like what you said about menopause's extra challenges - they are no joke. I think about how I felt about myself and my looks in my 40s, and it's a drastic change to now. I've lost a lot of body confidence, and I think losing this weight will really help. I'm slightly afraid that my wrinkles have been puffed out by all this fat (I weigh 192 - goal of 170), but what can you do? The plus is - I really do feel that living half a century has given me wisdom - and it's wonderful.
  • PianoRun
    PianoRun Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    @ Snoozie --- wasn't even going to log on today ... and read your post -- just the words I needed!
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,444 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    PR - sometimes all we need is a little reminder we aren't alone to help us push thru those moments we all have; and you just pushed through yours by having the courage to log on despite how you were feeling, so huge kudos - and a "YAY ME" step for you to celebrate instead!!
  • ptipton520
    ptipton520 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    ednam3 wrote: »
    I would like to join the 60 and over group also. I thought losing 15 pounds wasn't much , but I see I'm normal. Glad I read your posts. It really boosted my enthusiasm . Is there a link to the 60 and iover?

I had a hard time finding it as there doesn't appear to be a search field in the groups. I went to "Browse Groups" and found it on page 6 or 7 - somewhere around there. I almost gave up.

I really like this thread and look forward to reading all the post more closely.

As a form of introduction -- I'll be 69 in April and for some reason (maybe an accumulation of things) I feel like this time I will succeed. I need to lose 100+ pounds, move my A1C from 9.2 back down to the 6.2-.5 range, log every day, and exercise. My mom will be 94 in April and prior to her moving to a care center two years ago, I used to joke (sadly it was the truth) that she was in better shape than me. So my primary goal is to be as healthy at 70 as my mom was at that age. The reward will be a longer more enjoyable life and a panniculectomy (not only for vanity's sake but also for personal hygiene). Hopefully, that not TMI. lol

So this isn't a "Success Story" but all your stories have been a positive reinforcement. Hopefully, I can return the favor as I move forward.

TGIF and have a Great Weekend!

• luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    At the top of this post, next to the title, is a little yellow star which will bookmark this page for you when you click on it. Then to find it again just click on the community tab and then click on the little grey star which shows your bookmarks. Easy Peasy! ;)
  • jules92761
    jules92761 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi all - I'm 53 and peri-menopausal. I love hearing from those of you who have had success - I have been questioning whether calorie counting is enough or if I need to focus on low-carb, etc. I think I'm just procrastinating while I figure out "what diet to do." :s Congrats to those of you who have been successful (Middlehaitch - wow!! What an amazing after photo!) and good luck to the rest of us struggling. Hope to be able to touch base with you ladies on here.
  • jules92761
    jules92761 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    NextPage wrote: »
    Personally I want to spend the next ten years working toward looking as hot and sexy as middlehaitch does in her photo standing next to the Christmas tree - in my mind I already have my own little black dress picked out for the occasion!

51 also, menopausal, and I too want to be middlehaitch when I grow up, lol... if that's what 61 looks like, bring it on!

I started logging on MFP to track protein (don't get enough) and sodium (try to stay below 1500 daily), then started following the fitness forum, got into lifting... I won't say "heavy" at this point, although my deadlift and hip thrust aren't too shabby my upper body strength is just sad... and found a physical activity I actually enjoy. I've always been too klutzy and uncoordinated for sports but found that weight lifting requires no grace or coordination, just persistence. Loving the results!

Amen to that! I want to be middlehaitch when I grow up too!! Dang, girl! ;)
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,444 Member
    Options
    :D just bumping the topic for any new people to MFP
  • cathy120861
    cathy120861 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I was just reading over the posts from the last few days and realizing that at this time last year i had actually given up on the idea of losing weight -- i had decided i just had to resign myself to a life of being slow and sluggish and sedentary. I actually feel a little like crying for the me at that time -- i felt so hopeless. Then, some life events gave me enough of a jolt (i was diagnosed with COPD, my daughter got pregnant) that i was shaken out of that resignation.

As of this morning, i am down 33 pounds from the day i was diagnosed with COPD. In two more pounds, i will be half way to my goal weight. Yesterday i went to my belly dancing class. Tomorrow is boxing. I get some kind of exercise at least 5 and usually 6 days a week.

My daughter is due next week and you had better believe i will the most energetic, playful grandma i can possibly be!

Thank you to everyone who posted. It really helps me to be part of this community.
  • calmandpeaceful
    calmandpeaceful Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Cathy, what a beautiful and inspiring story! I have about 20-30 lb to lose, so I could relate to your post very much. In some ways, I'd also sort of given up because I was buying bigger clothes and just accepting my "new look." But now that I'm tip toeing into weight loss, it feels so good, and I feel more in control, happier, and younger. (It's really only been a couple pounds, but even losing those feels great). Thank you for sharing your success.

Best wishes to you and your daughter for this wonderful, blessed next step in your life.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Age 72-lost 15 lbs a year ago and work to keep it off-so far so good. Really have to blame it on my activity level and eating habits rather than menopause-it all occurs about the same time but if I hiked and worked out like I did then it wouldn't be a problem. However, life and age got in the way and have had to modify activity levels and count more on diet.
  • HoganBirdie
    HoganBirdie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    So I wasn't able to workout yesterday. I try and give myself a break once a week because my body just needs a day of rest. I didn't eat all the protein I should have and actually ate some carbs in the form of rice. I did not over eat but I sure felt guilty. I got on the scales this morning expecting a weight gain. Surprise ! I lost a pound!!!! That's 9 pounds this month and I am can't be more excited. I think my body is getting with the program. I am learning to be patient and not expect huge results fast but to appreciate slow progress. I am better than I was at the start of the month and can't wait till the end of next month!
    I was just reading over the posts from the last few days and realizing that at this time last year i had actually given up on the idea of losing weight -- i had decided i just had to resign myself to a life of being slow and sluggish and sedentary. I actually feel a little like crying for the me at that time -- i felt so hopeless. Then, some life events gave me enough of a jolt (i was diagnosed with COPD, my daughter got pregnant) that i was shaken out of that resignation.

As of this morning, i am down 33 pounds from the day i was diagnosed with COPD. In two more pounds, i will be half way to my goal weight. Yesterday i went to my belly dancing class. Tomorrow is boxing. I get some kind of exercise at least 5 and usually 6 days a week.

My daughter is due next week and you had better believe i will the most energetic, playful grandma i can possibly be!

Thank you to everyone who posted. It really helps me to be part of this community.

• 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I've been refocused due to injuries and lack of heavy exercise. I'm eating low, 1200-1300 calories to be at a deficit for maintenance. I lost 0.2 lbs after 2 weeks. Things are slower as I approach 60 in Febraury!
  • HoganBirdie
    Options
    So I wasn't able to workout yesterday. I try and give myself a break once a week because my body just needs a day of rest. I didn't eat all the protein I should have and actually ate some carbs in the form of rice. I did not over eat but I sure felt guilty. I got on the scales this morning expecting a weight gain. Surprise ! I lost a pound!!!! That's 9 pounds this month and I am can't be more excited. I think my body is getting with the program. I am learning to be patient and not expect huge results fast but to appreciate slow progress. I am better than I was at the start of the month and can't wait till the end of next month!

Cathy you are an inspiration ! Dancing, kick boxing, and eating right! All with. COPD! I love reading about your weight loss journey. It keeps me motivated. I am getting younger now that I moving more ( atleast I feel like it) and just knowing you and all the other women here are dealing with a lot of my same issues helps me know I can do this!!! Thank you. Gotta go and work out!!

• 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Cathy- You're an inspiration, great work and progress.

Calmandpeaceful- Those feelings are wonderful, hold on them.

Paulandrachelk- Glad you rediscovered exercise and good eating.

HoganBirdie- I agree our bodies need a break (rest). We need to listen to it, good for you.
  • HoganBirdie
    Options
    ptipton520 wrote: »
    ednam3 wrote: »
    I would like to join the 60 and over group also. I thought losing 15 pounds wasn't much , but I see I'm normal. Glad I read your posts. It really boosted my enthusiasm . Is there a link to the 60 and iover?

I had a hard time finding it as there doesn't appear to be a search field in the groups. I went to "Browse Groups" and found it on page 6 or 7 - somewhere around there. I almost gave up.

I really like this thread and look forward to reading all the post more closely.

As a form of introduction -- I'll be 69 in April and for some reason (maybe an accumulation of things) I feel like this time I will succeed. I need to lose 100+ pounds, move my A1C from 9.2 back down to the 6.2-.5 range, log every day, and exercise. My mom will be 94 in April and prior to her moving to a care center two years ago, I used to joke (sadly it was the truth) that she was in better shape than me. So my primary goal is to be as healthy at 70 as my mom was at that age. The reward will be a longer more enjoyable life and a panniculectomy (not only for vanity's sake but also for personal hygiene). Hopefully, that not TMI. lol

So this isn't a "Success Story" but all your stories have been a positive reinforcement. Hopefully, I can return the favor as I move forward.

TGIF and have a Great Weekend!

We will be here for you. You can do this one day at a time. ]
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Enjoying this thread. Lots of common issues among us, we have strength in numbers! I went for a 5 mile cross country hike today, beautiful and sunny even though cold. Wearing all my new luxurious smaller size thermal base clothing. Now don't feel guilty sitting at my computer reading the forums, ha ha.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Snooozie wrote: »
    :D just bumping the topic for any new people to MFP

Thanks, Snoozie! Let's welcome all the new people and keep this thread going.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    This month I've been maintaining more than losing. On the one hand its really gratifying to know that I am able to maintain this loss, but since I'm no where near done losing what I need to lose it is a bit frustrating too. I think my TDEE is only about 1600 if I don't go out of my way to walk more, so its not surprising that I am seeing fractions of a pound loss or maintenance, considering I am not eating 500 calories a day less than that. I either need to cut back on calories or move more. I also had a few sodium fests and that is always a problem for me, retaining water. Of all the stupid things to screw up weight loss, I never imagined sodium would be it, but it really is, for me.

So now I need to tighten up my logging, making sure my calorie count is accurate, cut back on sodium and move more. Hah hah. Same plan that always works.

55835802.png
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!