55-65 year old women's success?

Replies

• Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 233 Member
    I have "olfactory hallucinations" when my Lyme disease is active. Smell gasoline, rotted food, poop etc. Never something lovely like popcorn. When I mentioned it to my MD he diagnosed olfactory hallucinations. I have learned to check in with my family .. life is so unpredictable. Gasoline is the worst as it makes me really nauseous.

Tried to catch up with this thread but it's way too long. I'm 59 and have had 3 situations that required me to lose 30#s or more. Two pregnancies & a dance with the bottle. Gave up alcohol completely. I hit goal recently but it's elusive. Either my exercise logging is off or I'm eating too much for the activity level I can maintain in winter.

I was always fit & occasionally fat. Fit is better so I will work harder to lose & maintain last 3#s. A quarter century gym rat, I now am a fan of real life exercise. Do what needs to be done with gusto ... I look at every chore as an opportunity to burn calories. Any day I can be active is a good day.
  • JeanMBK
    JeanMBK Posts: 728 Member
    I read through the thread today (slow day at work) and am glad that I did. As I previously stated, even though I logged in every day I did not log my food. Right after Christmas I started logging, have missed a time or two, but I started losing weight with logging my food and I am happy to say I have lost 4 weeks in a row! Two of those weeks were ounces, but they were loses nonetheless.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Jeanmk56 wrote: »
    I read through the thread today (slow day at work) and am glad that I did. As I previously stated, even though I logged in every day I did not log my food. Right after Christmas I started logging, have missed a time or two, but I started losing weight with logging my food and I am happy to say I have lost 4 weeks in a row! Two of those weeks were ounces, but they were loses nonetheless.

Counting calories works! I've lost 41lbs. doing this. Every ounce is a victory. Good job.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    B <3 MP....These are such encouraging posts....you ALL are fabulous, period.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,457 Member
    Agree with Newlife.. having a support group of women my age truly made the difference for me after I joined MFP.. there was always someone who had been there/done that/had the t shirt and could offer a helping hand when I stumbled or got frustrated, advice or a shoulder to vent on, and seeing others my age succeed at making changes helped me discover I really could too!

whether newbies or seasoned veterans - we're all here to support, empower and encourage each other.. so a round of applause for each of you!! t2022.gif

• trina1049
    FYI, the OP has deactivated her account. Sorry to see this since she got us all together.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    trina1049 wrote: »
    FYI, the OP has deactivated her account. Sorry to see this since she got us all together.

:(

• csvan
    csvan Posts: 9 Member
    Hi, Ladies. I am 56 years old and have been overweight most of my adult life. Since September I have lost 17.3kg/38lbs. MFP has been am inspiration to me to lose weight by logging my calorie intake and looking at the success stories on here. I have another 43kgc/95lbs to go! But I am nearly a third of the way to my target. Good luck to us all.

I'm new and I have about eighty pounds to take off I almost loss my daughter because of her weight and I want to be around for my grand kids so I must get healthier and I have been an inspiration to me .
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member

Darn. I wonder why. Well she did a good thing for all of us, didn't she!

• HoganBirdie
    HoganBirdie Posts: 21 Member
    So I lost 13 pounds in January. I started slow and really worked hard but today I just vegged, ate wrong and was lazy. I am learning if I do this once in a while (just a day) I am ready to go hard for another week! Looking forward to taking off another 13 pounds in the month of February!
  • HoganBirdie
    sun_fish wrote: »

• HoganBirdie
    sun_fish wrote: »

So sorry I wonder why?]
  • trina1049
    So I lost 13 pounds in January. I started slow and really worked hard but today I just vegged, ate wrong and was lazy. I am learning if I do this once in a while (just a day) I am ready to go hard for another week! Looking forward to taking off another 13 pounds in the month of February!

Some days are just like that -- we need a day off and if it helps to keep us on goal then it's all good. Sometimes, when I get lazy, I have to remind myself to stay focused, one day off is fine but we have to stay the course. It's hard but so rewarding in the end.
  • bonniepwest
    bonniepwest Posts: 30 Member
    I was going to post that I had a setback yesterday, but after reading the last few posts, I'm going to change it to an "indulgence" day. I was painting as a volunteer yesterday and got blindsided by all the goodies that show up for volunteers. I resisted almost all day but it finally got the best of me and I ate two pastries and half a bagel! My carb limit for about 2 weeks in one fell swoop! I've been feeling really bad about it since then and I dreaded weighing in this morning. I did lose 1.2 pounds, but know it could have been more. Anyway, it's just a blip and I just have to get over it and get back on track today. HoganBirdie, thanks for the update and congratulations on 13 pounds!
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    One of the reasons I feel more successful losing weight counting calories with the help of MFP than my long ago previous attempt with WW, is that I know what to do when I eat things that slow or stop my weight loss: I just get back at it. I no longer look at when I reach goal, because I finally understand that this is how I'm learning to eat. I make mistakes now, and I make choices now, rather than waiting until I've lost "X" number of pounds like I did that one other time I lost a lot of weight.

I'm not anxious about what will happen when I weigh 125 pounds and am no longer losing, because I've already tested out the changes I'll have to implement then; I've already eaten at maintenance for a day or two here and there; I've already gone over my calorie count and buckled down to lose any water weight gain that resulted; I've seen slow loss periods (this past month!!!) because I wasn't as active. I'm not afraid of pizza or dessert because I know I can have it if I really want it, but I have to work it in to my daily/weekly calorie allotment or else I will start gaining weight.

I am a bit "sad" to realize how low my maintenance calories will be once I'm at a reasonable weight for my height, but I know I can tweak that a bit by MOVEMENT. It feels so good to have the tools and know that I don't have to be a fat, old lady!!

55835802.png
  • trina1049
    sodakat wrote: »
    One of the reasons I feel more successful losing weight counting calories with the help of MFP than my long ago previous attempt with WW, is that I know what to do when I eat things that slow or stop my weight loss: I just get back at it. I no longer look at when I reach goal, because I finally understand that this is how I'm learning to eat. I make mistakes now, and I make choices now, rather than waiting until I've lost "X" number of pounds like I did that one other time I lost a lot of weight.

I'm not anxious about what will happen when I weigh 125 pounds and am no longer losing, because I've already tested out the changes I'll have to implement then; I've already eaten at maintenance for a day or two here and there; I've already gone over my calorie count and buckled down to lose any water weight gain that resulted; I've seen slow loss periods (this past month!!!) because I wasn't as active. I'm not afraid of pizza or dessert because I know I can have it if I really want it, but I have to work it in to my daily/weekly calorie allotment or else I will start gaining weight.

I am a bit "sad" to realize how low my maintenance calories will be once I'm at a reasonable weight for my height, but I know I can tweak that a bit by MOVEMENT. It feels so good to have the tools and know that I don't have to be a fat, old lady!!

55835802.png

I totally agree with you. I feel like, for the first time, I can do this. It's a balancing act. I get it now.
  • moselflower2015
    moselflower2015 Posts: 1 Member
    Thanks for the inspiration. Great focus. I've been logging fifteen days. I'm 59 battled all my life but it's way out of control after total hysterectomy - my husband just had bone marrow transplant - battling since 2011. I have chronic issues but weight just makes it worse creeped up from 14 plus to squeezeing into 3X my fitness has really helped me focus and this group has given me hope. Working on the sedentary issues of caregiver and at hspt daily. Finally woke up and said I have to get healthy too Hope this site keeps going.
    sodakat wrote: »

55835802.png

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I lost 42 pounds and have maintained it for several years. I went through menopause on MFP. And I look better now than I did 15 years ago. I love having done this. I wish I had done it sooner.
  • cathy120861
    cathy120861 Posts: 265 Member
    Let us know how we can best support you, Moselflower.
    I think you are right that movement is the key. a great stress reliever as well.

I had a cupcake orgy on sunday night, but back on track yesterday.

No grandbaby yet -- we are still waiting. We were hoping for a superbowl baby. now we are thinking a ground hog's day baby!

• dlmciver
    dlmciver Posts: 149 Member

Hello All-
    I just found this thread and I'm inspired by the energy! I'm trying to catch up with everything. I'm turning 60 in August, and I want to solidify a healthy path as I look forward to retirement in the next few years. I have lost and regained 100+ pounds 2X. I have fallen apart when I "get close". I have 135 pounds to lose. I'll be checking in often.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!