55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• jeanniebeanie59
    jeanniebeanie59 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    great stories everyone, like most I lost 10 lbs over a yr ago and now gained them back plus a few more. rying to loose 10 by Easter. Small frame 5.1 inches and weigh 130 goal is 115 but 120 would be fine. So hard to loose the weight but happy with 1 lb a week loss . I just get lazy and dont feel like excersing ...make excuses for my self all the time. I just have to do it and not procrastinate . I have a total gym machine which I like alot ..I feel its quite a bit like pilates. We can do it ...keep it up. Thanks for all the great posts!
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Thanks Trina and Snoozie for always keeping it positive (and funny)!!!

55835802.png
  • bonniepwest
    bonniepwest Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Oh, Snoozie! Are you in my head or what? When my doc told me I was pre-diabetic I wanted to slap him! And the poor nutritionist in his office--I told her she was going to be my whipping boy for a while until I got over being so angry. So not fair to them, since it was, so to speak, my "just desserts" over a lifetime of bad choices. Didn't matter, it still "wasn't fair!" I finally simmered down, and instead of rebelling and eating everything I wanted to, I jumped in with both feet and started logging and counting not only carbs but calories. I'm down 20 lbs since November. Boy, that'll show 'em.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Oh, Snoozie! Are you in my head or what? When my doc told me I was pre-diabetic I wanted to slap him! And the poor nutritionist in his office--I told her she was going to be my whipping boy for a while until I got over being so angry. So not fair to them, since it was, so to speak, my "just desserts" over a lifetime of bad choices. Didn't matter, it still "wasn't fair!" I finally simmered down, and instead of rebelling and eating everything I wanted to, I jumped in with both feet and started logging and counting not only carbs but calories. I'm down 20 lbs since November. Boy, that'll show 'em.

Don't we all wish we has started losing weight the right way instead of the fast way?

And thanks, Sodakat, for your kind words!
  • candicer
    candicer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Every night I come on board and read the days posts, and every day I am so encouraged by all of you!

I've had a good week - finally! Cutting my calories has finally caused me to loose a couple pounds (actually down 3!). I hadn't weighed myself in about 10 days, so it wasn't all overnight!
    - I had seen my dr last week and they took blood for multiple tests. Everything came back fine except one thing - and this surprised me! I am severely low in Vitamin D! She put me on prescription dose (50,000 mg per day!!!!) for a month. I asked why couldn't I just go out in the sun more? She said that's fine, but we need to get it back up quickly so it doesn't start to affect my organs. How scary is that. Who knew . . .
    - Going into the weekend on a positive note!!!
  • sodakat
    edited February 2015
    Options
    candicer wrote: »
    ...x I am severely low in Vitamin D! She put me on prescription dose (50,000 mg per day!!!!) for a month. I asked why couldn't I just go out in the sun more? She said that's fine, but we need to get it back up quickly so it doesn't start to affect my organs. How scary is that. Who knew . . .
    - Going into the weekend on a positive note!!!

I've been taking 5,000 units of Vitamin D3 for about a year and 1/2 half now. This was something I decided to do on my own after doing a lot of reading/research. I live in South Dakota (hence the screen name) and we get no beneficial UVA rays between Sept and April (roughly) because the sun azimuth is too low. I know Vitamin D3 can be stored by the body, but not for 6 or 7 months.

After a year I had my blood tested to be sure I wasn't taking too much. My level was 75 and my doctor told me that was very good. 90 is about as high as one should go, she said. I'm sticking with the 5,000 units daily.

Its the only supplement I take. Oh, and FWIW, last summer I spent almost every single day exposed to the sun all day long, because I worked as road construction flagger. I was a bit concerned I might be getting too much Vitamin D. Nope.

--Kathy

55835802.png

• cathy120861
    cathy120861 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    i have been thinking of adding D vitamin. does one need only d5 or a d complex? is it best taken as a pill? or in some other form?
  • sodakat
    Options
    Here are a few good reads on Vitamin D. I have tried capsules and tablets and prefer capsules. Swanson (http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-premium-highest-potency-vitamin-d-3-5000-iu-5000-iu-250-sgels) has a good price, IMO and that is the brand I use but its a personal choice. I am not trying suggesting anyone take this, please, its just something I do and I suggest a blood test just to be safe but heads up you may find it is not covered by insurance. My doctor said its not a "routine" test and I ended up paying for mine, both the blood draw and testing even though I had blood drawn for routine annual screening of the blood pressure med I was taking. Its not real expensive to have blood drawn and tested however, IMO.

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/how-do-i-get-the-vitamin-d-my-body-needs/
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/vitamin-d/background/hrb-20060400
    http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-929-vitamin%20d.aspx?activeingredientid=929&activeingredientname=vitamin%20d

55835802.png
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Bump to update thread
  • bonniepwest
    bonniepwest Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My vitamin D levels are low as well. I take 3000mg daily, 1000 of which are in the multi-vitamin I take. I'm hoping that it will have improved when I get my next labs done.

So I don't really know what I did differently, but I lost 3.2 lbs this week! That was after my pastry disaster last weekend, and I was determined to not let it affect me, so maybe I was just more careful about logging and meals.
  • Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cathy120861
    cathy120861 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    w92kr5vljwnh.jpg

My daughter lost 8 pounds 12 ounces today! And my first grandchild was born -- I have attached a picture of our Jonah. Baby is doing great, although my daughter is feeling rather beat up. My plane was cancelled, so i wont be flying down to be with them until this afternoon. As i have mentioned many times before, seeing Jonah's heartbeat on teh ultra sound was the start of my weight loss journey. I have lost 34 pounds so far and am planning to be at my goal weight by his first birthday!
  • jules92761
    jules92761 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Canndicer I am also on 50,000 iu prescription vitamin d. My endocrinologist said I'd probably be on it forever.
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    w92kr5vljwnh.jpg

My daughter lost 8 pounds 12 ounces today! And my first grandchild was born -- I have attached a picture of our Jonah. Baby is doing great, although my daughter is feeling rather beat up. My plane was cancelled, so i wont be flying down to be with them until this afternoon. As i have mentioned many times before, seeing Jonah's heartbeat on teh ultra sound was the start of my weight loss journey. I have lost 34 pounds so far and am planning to be at my goal weight by his first birthday!

Congrats to you and yours on the birth of your grandson. He's an excellent incentive for healthy living!
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Cathy120861 -- Congratulations! He's precious. You'll be a healthy role model for him. Enjoy your time with him.
  • sodakat
    Options
    Congratulations Cathy! Enjoy meeting your inspiration!

55835802.png
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Congratulations Cathy, on your new grandson!
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Congrats Cathy, to you and your daughter. Grandchildren bring such joy!
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Cathy! Grandchildren are so much fun!
  • branbuds
    branbuds Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    What a beautiful baby!! Congrats to the new grandma! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!