55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    hmmm ... sautéed groundhog?? roast groundhawg? yep... I'm up for for it for dinner too, Bonnie!
    [img][/img]t118019.gif
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    sodakat wrote: »
    I made home made hummus for the first time today. Friday when I was in Fargo I finally remembered to buy Tahini and last night I put the dried chickpeas in water to soak overnight. I cooked them for almost 2 hours to make sure they were really tender.

Boy did it turn out great! I used Alton's recipe from Food Network, except used just 1/4 cup tahini and only 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus way more water to get it to the smooth texture I wanted -- and it is just right! 200+ calories for 1/4 cup but I don't need that much when I just want to dip carrots.

@candicer I had crab bisque on Friday which was really comforting! I think it could be made fairly low cal and its super filling.

Another thing I do that is easy and comforting that you may already do also, is crumble some aluminum foil into balls and place them in the bottom of an empty crock pot. Then set an entire raw chicken on top, season (or dry rub first) and cook on high for about 5 hours. It turns out just like the rotisserie chickens in the store. You may have to adjust the time, depending your crockpot.

I also have a really easy and wonderful Hot 'n Sour soup recipe if you want it.

--Kathy

55835802.png

I love the foil balls and chicken crock pot thing! Great idea. Thanks!
  • candicer
    candicer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Great ideas for all! Seems like we have been living on venison chili all winter, so I'm kind of over that. But crab bisque sound fantastic ! Tonight it's freezing rain here in ATL so I am having spinach salad and roasted onion soup. Maybe a glass of Chardonnay to warm me up later!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    sodakat wrote: »
    I made home made hummus for the first time today. Friday when I was in Fargo I finally remembered to buy Tahini and last night I put the dried chickpeas in water to soak overnight. I cooked them for almost 2 hours to make sure they were really tender.

Boy did it turn out great! I used Alton's recipe from Food Network, except used just 1/4 cup tahini and only 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus way more water to get it to the smooth texture I wanted -- and it is just right! 200+ calories for 1/4 cup but I don't need that much when I just want to dip carrots.

@candicer I had crab bisque on Friday which was really comforting! I think it could be made fairly low cal and its super filling.

Another thing I do that is easy and comforting that you may already do also, is crumble some aluminum foil into balls and place them in the bottom of an empty crock pot. Then set an entire raw chicken on top, season (or dry rub first) and cook on high for about 5 hours. It turns out just like the rotisserie chickens in the store. You may have to adjust the time, depending your crockpot.

I also have a really easy and wonderful Hot 'n Sour soup recipe if you want it.

--Kathy

55835802.png

I love hot and sour soup. I would be interested in the recipe.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Here's the recipe. I often double this.

Hot and Sour Soup

Two 13-3/4 ounce cans low salt chicken broth (I use the 32 oz carton from Kitchen Basics)

Three thin slices fresh ginger root

2 T dark soy sauce

1/4 cup rice wine vinegar

1/2 tsp hot chili oil

1/2 tsp dark sesame oil

1/2 tsp sugar

1/2 tsp white pepper

1/2 cup julienned bamboo shoots

1/2 cup firm tofu cubed

one egg lightly beaten

I also like canned mushrooms, the straw mushrooms or the kind with wavy edges) Add them with bamboo shoots. This will increase the calories slightly.

Instructions

1. Bring chicken stock and fresh ginger root to a slow boil for 2 or 3 minutes

2. Remove ginger slices and discard. Turn the heat down slightly

3. Add rest of liquid ingredients, the sugar and the white pepper. Stir gently

4. Add bamboo shoots and tofu. Stir gently

5. Bring soup to a slow boil again and quickly add in the lightly beaten egg while stirring. Remove the pot from the heat immediately and continue to stir to break up the egg pieces (important)

6. Place soup in bowls in garnish with scallions and cilantro if desired

I put the ingredient list in the recipe builder on MyFitnessPal and if you consider this 4 servings, each serving is 200 calories. 8 servings is probably what it makes at 100 cals each but I like a big bowl of soup!

55835802.png

• newnyc
    newnyc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I am just starting on MFP, and I'm 55 years old. I would like to lose 40 lbs. and thought I'd say hi and join the conversation. Really looking to stay motivated and happy to try and help motivate others. I've lost weight just before I turned 50 and I have to say it was a lot easier. I have a couple of orthopedic issues (shoulder and hip injuries), that I need to work through, so exercise will be slow going for awhile. I do walk a fair amount though. Anyway, my goal is to track daily and stay in touch.
    Wishing everyone continued success!
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Hi, Newnyc -- welcome to the thread. You can friend me if you like.
  • helma62
    helma62 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    this post is fantastic. I'm 52 post menopausal. Plus a thyroid issue for over 15 years. I gained 25lb the last 3 years. I have been working out including weights and cardio 5-6 days a week. Nothing is coming off. My biggest problem is consistency. I need to see some results fast. I have been back and forth between ww and mfp. I eat 80-90 % healthy. I don't really know how much calories I should be around. I can burn between 300 -500 calories a workout, eating 1200-1300 cal. Now I hear about marco's. Any advise is welcome. I need to read this post everyday. It is giving me the strength to not give up. I know I am not alone.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Kathy, do u need to add any liquid to the crock pot when u cook the chicken on top of the aluminum balls? Also, do you think a wire rack would work in lieu of the aluminum balls?
  • jules92761
    jules92761 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    candicer wrote: »
    jules92761 wrote: »
    Canndicer I am also on 50,000 iu prescription vitamin d. My endocrinologist said I'd probably be on it forever.

Oh my goodness! Forever!? Any explanation as to why your body needs it so much more than usual?

Sorry for the late reply, Canndicer, I just saw this. I am hypothyroid and I think that contributes to low vitamin D. Living in Michigan's climate doesn't help either. LOL My parathyroid was enlarged because it was compensating for the low vitamin D and went back to normal after going on the prescription level - so he doesn't see me coming off of it. I am lucky to have found a great and very thorough endocrinologist. I was having terrible joint pain, migraines, all sorts of problems and he got me straighted out quickly. But I had spent nearly a year before that with various doctors being checked for every ailment under the sun. The rhumatologist finally is the one that referred me to the endo.
  • jules92761
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @helma62 I sent a friend request - you and I are in the same boat! Everyone on here is so inspiring! Feel free to friend me if anyone's interested.
  • jules92761
    Options
    Inspiring thread. Got a question for those of you who have battled arthritis... How did you get started exercising again? I have my joint pain mostly under control through diet (mostly by eliminating nightshades -- my body reacts severely to them -- and keeping my carbs low because I've found carbs inflammatory) and supplements (glucosamine, vitamin C, magnesium citrate, and collagen). My joints are still somewhat stiff, and my ability to catch my balance when pulled off balance is not where I'd like it to be. I can walk up to two miles in an hour without pain.

Anyhow, how does someone with stiff knees start exercising and regaining flexibility? Is it even possible?

I struggle with arthritis too - mostly in my spine and hips. For me yoga has been a tremendous help. If you can, what worked well for me was a private one-on-one session with a yoga instructor (from a yoga studio, not a fitness center) who can customize a program for you based on your needs. I also found the elliptical is good for me because there is no impact.
  • cathy120861
    cathy120861 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Helma -- welcome aboard. I could so relate to doing what seems like the right things, but still not losing.

I lost a lot of weight last summer, then almost nothing from September till the end of the year, even though i was still doing all of the same things.

this year i have been switching things up with great success. I am doing a greater variety of exercise, with much more emphasis on cardio. I have also been cutting way down on carbs. I have lost 12 pounds so far this year, which is pretty fast for me.

NEWNYC -- i just wanted to encourage you not to belittle your walking as a form of exercise. There was just another article in the NYTimes this week about how great walking is for your health (let me know if anyone wants to see it and i will find the link).

I am not feeling so great today -- this cold just kills my lungs. Oh well -- i only have to hold on until next friday when i fly back down to Texas to see my kids and new grandson.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    kjurassic wrote: »
    Kathy, do u need to add any liquid to the crock pot when u cook the chicken on top of the aluminum balls? Also, do you think a wire rack would work in lieu of the aluminum balls?

No liquid. It you have rack that fits your crock pot of course it will work. That's the idea of the aluminum foil balls, lol. Mine didn't come with a rack. You just want the fat to drip off while the bird cooks.

55835802.png

• Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I've realized there is one benefit to this stupid brain fog--Menopausal Brain Fog Exercise. I bet I log at least an extra half mile a day walking back and forth to rooms, trying to remember why I went there in the first place, so I got back to where I was, remember, go back; repeat. And then misplacing my cell phone and reading glasses multiple times a day, doing quick laps through my house looking on every surface, until about the 3rd pass through, I find 'em!
  • bonniepwest
    bonniepwest Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Ha ha! You are so right, Jewels!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    lmao Jewels... absolutely!! I also think its only fair we get to claim a few cals burned for every hot flash LOL!! :o
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    If anyone looks at MFP's blog, here is a link I have found really useful- MFP's round-up of the 10 best free workout videos on Youtube. I work out at home quite a bit as I live 15 miles from town. I'm going through them all.

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-best-free-workout-videos-on-youtube/
  • bonniepwest
    bonniepwest Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Snooozie wrote: »
    lmao Jewels... absolutely!! I also think its only fair we get to claim a few cals burned for every hot flash LOL!! :o
    Snooozie, if that were true, I wouldn't be the size I am!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    LOL BONNIE.. i'd be a twig!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!