55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• luciboring
    luciboring Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    trina1049 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm 65 years old, 5'2.5" and I've been on MFP for almost a year and have lost 40lbs. so far. I lost a few pounds before I found MFP but this site has helped me the most. It's taken me over a year to do so, but its been a steady loss of about 2lbs per month. My starting weight was 179 and I'm now at 139 pounds.

As for exercising, when I started losing, before MFP, I only walked and rode my bike (slowly). After a couple of months I wanted to exercise more so joined a nearby gym and began a heavy cardio routine of two cardio classes five times a week. I kept to this routine for quite a while then went to the Body Pump classes (weight lifting) and really loved lifting weights. I'm not lifting very heavy yet, 15lb squats; 12lb clean and press, etc., but I intend to lift heavier when go on to maintenance after another 10lb. loss. Trying for a goal weight of 129 - 130 pounds.

So my new exercise schedule is weight lifting four times per week for one hour and I include 30 minutes of cardio after weight class three times per week. My body composition has really improved with this schedule even though I'm putting in less time at the gym. I actually have muscles now! Who would have thought!

When I first joined MFP I read all the stickies and began my own research about nutrition -- that's been my single most motivating factor because I don't really interact in the forum much though I read everything

. What's worked for me is a 35% protein, 35% fat, 30% carb micro split. I love carbs but found that my blood sugar kept going up and now that's not happening with watching my carb intake. I weigh and log everything and will probably have to do so forever if I want to keep the weight off. I could be worse. . . I could be fat again in no time if I stop weighing my food and counting calories.

It's been a slow journey but really rewarding. I went from a US size 14/16 to a US size 6/8; I'm actually wearing petite mediums now. Wow.

Best of luck to everyone - stick with it!
    Lets be friends
  • luciboring
    luciboring Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    NextPage wrote: »
    Hi, I'm 51 and post-menopausal and I can't say that losing weight is harder now since I always found it challenging. I think the biggest adjustment for me was the "shape shift" and lose of muscle tone issues that go with aging. It was odd to look at myself and see that my waist was disappearing. I also decided "batwings" were something I could not live with and I have shifted my focus to lifting while still doing a fair bit of cardio (mainly spinning). On the less vain side I looked around and saw that some of my only slightly older friends were starting to complain about bad knees, poor flexibility etc. and I didn't want to follow in their foot steps. At the end of day the tools for losing weight don't change much as we age but the need for exercise to keep our metabolism fired up and our muscle tone and flexibility maintained/increased becomes paramount. Our quality of life is dependent on fitness as much (perhaps more) than maintaining a healthy weight. Few of us aspire to be thin and frail - we want to be strong and powerful. Personally I want to spend the next ten years working toward looking as hot and sexy as middlehaitch does in her photo standing next to the Christmas tree - in my mind I already have my own little black dress picked out for the occasion!

Hey add me as a friend !!! In the same boat as you just a few yrs older !!
  • renfen
    renfen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am 53, but am peri-menopausal. Does that count? I have lost 15 so far with a goal of 40 more by August 1 and then as much as I can there after.
  • PianoRun
    PianoRun Posts: 15 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    renfen --of course it counts, and you are very welcome here -- and I'm glad you would like to share your experiences. Nonetheless, I must point out that peri-menopausal is not the same as postmenopausal for most women I know. In fact, for some, the transition period can be not only debilitating physically (for example, if you are having hot extreme flashes -- mine eased up a bit, and are not nearly as bad after menopause) but it can be an emotionally trying stage of life, and these factors strongly can affect our efforts to lose weight. Congrats on your 15 lb loss.
  • Malteaster
    Malteaster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am finding this most inspiring. I am 55 and have struggled with my weight for the last five years. I'd love to lose 20lb and am watching this with interest.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Pianorun I totally agree that we should move away from focusing too much on "gee, it's so hard at this age". I suggest we each think of something that we always thought we weren't capable of and make it a challenge to conquer "it". For me, I have shied away from real push-ups but I have set a goal to be able to 15 easily by April 1. As of today I can only due about 8 before my arms and chest start to shake but hey, I'm getting there.
  • 1961dublin
    1961dublin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hey all, good luck!! I am now about 63 kgs down from 78 kgs nearly a year ago. I am 53 and post menopausal. I lost it through the 5;2 Intermittent fasting . Nothing else worked for me, even though I tried several different diets in the past few years. The 5;2 was my last attempt at weight loss.
  • sharebear2012
    sharebear2012 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone and Piano Run, Glad you posed this question. I have been looking for a group that is in the plus 50 age group but I had not found one yet. I read through all of the posts here and I feel like I am finding a group of women much like myself. I just turned 59 and I am back to MFP trying to get 10 pounds (and maybe 15) off permanently. I am short at 5'2" and really look best if my weight is between 110 and 120. I got down to 117 in 2007 and kept it off for several years. I felt great and I looked great. In the last 4 years I have been sneaking upwards and yoyo'ing since menopause. I did break my arm a year ago and could not exercise. Just before New Year's Day I weighed in at 130. I lost weight last winter between Jan and April 130 to 123 but then I slid back up....I am feeling motivated in 2015 to get this done. As older women we do lose slower due to slower metabolism, so exercise is essential. I normally do a 30 to 45 minute workout 4 times a week so I am trying to double right now. I am at 1200 calories a day or a little less. I am not drinking any alcohol in January (white wine is my weakness!) which is helping. I am down four pounds already to 126 pounds and am very happy to see that quick of a loss. To lose at our age, we need to be patient, determined and persistent. Probably the same as younger but more patience!
  • srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I turned 54 yesterday and have been in the throes of menopause for at least 4 years. I am working the lose the last 6-8 pounds after having lost 23. If I can hit 30 it would be nice round number. :) This time it's for life - I am determined. What was different for me from past weight loss efforts is I'm not just focused on eating less; I'm focused on getting more veggies and complex carbs and cut way back on sugar and simple carbs. When I do treat myself it's very rare (used to be weekly) and much smaller amounts. Can I be included? I've been an avid exerciser most of my adult life, but have added more weight training and changing it up a lot more.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!