55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• cathy120861
    cathy120861 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    i have been so inspired by reading this discussion and am wondering if we should turn it into a group. This would have the advantage of making it easier to organize discussions of specific topics (like lifting, for example) and allowing us to do searches. it might also make us easier to find. There are already groups for 60 year olds and for near/post menopausal. This new group would have a broader age range and would not use menopause as our defining factor.

Let me know what you think, please.
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    i have been so inspired by reading this discussion and am wondering if we should turn it into a group. This would have the advantage of making it easier to organize discussions of specific topics (like lifting, for example) and allowing us to do searches. it might also make us easier to find. There are already groups for 60 year olds and for near/post menopausal. This new group would have a broader age range and would not use menopause as our defining factor.

I'm in. I would like the support and sharing of ideas/strategies of what works for different people. Connection to others is what could have been missing in my efforts when I first began MFP...that and just being tired of the struggle.

Connie
  • cowleyl
    cowleyl Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join. I'm 62 and have lost around 23 kg and would like to lose another 18 or so.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm in also!
  • PianoRun
    PianoRun Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Good idea to make it a group -- maybe that would make it easier to maintain continuity with each other. I started this thread pretty much as a look-see, because I hadn't seen a lot of success stories that I could identify with now.
  • dianeEESI
    dianeEESI Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to join a group but would love to ... Please post the how to's:)
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Has anyone figured out a way to search the groups? I'm concerned no one would find us and in my experience groups that don't have constant chatter fail quickly. The reason so many of us posted on this thread was because we could find it, right? I mean whenever someone posts it goes to the top of the recent discussions list, and also bumps up in the sub forum its in.

I'm so appreciative of those who have achieved their goal and kept using MFP in maintenance years, adding to this thread. Although its hard for me to *really* imagine being at goal weight, I know I will get there because counting calories works for me. Maintaining a weight loss is something I've never done for any length of time. I think I have the tools to do it now however.

55835802.png
  • eyegirl777va
    eyegirl777va Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    46Phil wrote: »
    I'm 56 and have 100lbs to lose. I am inspired by all these posts. Please feel free to add me as a friend--just let me know that you saw me in this thread.

Hello PianoRun! I'll be turning 60 in a few months & have lost 30 pounds since joining MFP in April. Slow but steady & even though I see lots of folks reporting incredible amounts of weight loss in short periods of time, I believe us more mature gals experience weight loss at a slower rate & that's perfectly fine with me.

Add me as a friend if you'd like!

All the best.

• PianoRun
    Options
    Golden Globes 2015 older women
    zznb2sr07dhl.jpg
    Julia Louis-Dreyfus, 53
    The Good Wife‘s Christine Baranski, 62
    Helen Mirren, 69
    Jane Fonda, 77
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I'm happy just leaving this the way it is (if you bookmark it by clicking on the little yellow star at the top of this post you can find it whenever you want in the community section by clicking the little grey star at the very top of the page) unless someone really wants to begin a new group. If you do, once you join you can just go to the community heading at the top of the page and then click on "groups" and the ones you're a member of show up automatically.

I've hesitated mentioning this but I'm the moderator of a group called "Fifty, Female and Fun" which we started a little over a year ago. We have a little over 170 members but only about 10 of us participate daily or weekly.

I didn't want to appear as though I was hijacking this thread but if anyone wants to join I think you can just join, if not I can send an invite I think. I didn't start the group but somehow I've become the one in charge............LOL, not my original intention.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/18105-fifty-female-and-fun

Otherwise, I'll be happy to continue on here the way it is or if someone wants to begin a new group I'll particulate that way.

We do weekly weigh ins, a monthly nutrition and fitness challenge (of our own individual choosing), a monthly chat post and then anyone can just start a post of whatever subject they want as well. But again, I'm not trying to move everyone from here to there. I just felt I should put it out there.
  • luluinca
    Options
    @ PianoRun, those are some really stunning women.
  • PianoRun
    Options
    Also, debneeds2beskinny mentioned an existing group for 60 plus women, so I guess there couldbe a lot of overlap -- I'm not sure what the commitments are for joining a group, but I just requested membership in that one, being newly 60. So far, maybe because this post is still new, we're getting some good action right here on the message board (thanks, Ladies!)
  • cathy120861
    cathy120861 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    I'm the moderator of a group called "Fifty, Female and Fun" which we started a little over a year ago. We have a little over 170 members but only about 10 of us participate daily or weekly.

I didn't want to appear as though I was hijacking this thread but if anyone wants to join I think you can just join, if not I can send an invite I think. I didn't start the group but somehow I've become the one in charge............LOL, not my original intention.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/18105-fifty-female-and-fun

We do weekly weigh ins, a monthly nutrition and fitness challenge (of our own individual choosing), a monthly chat post and then anyone can just start a post of whatever subject they want as well. But again, I'm not trying to move everyone from here to there. I just felt I should put it out there.

I love the idea of having this thread meld with an already existing group -- much simpler and more organic. the only problem is that more than half of the folks here are in their '60s and it wouldnt be right to exclude them. thoughts?

• luluinca
    Options
    @ Cathy, it's for anyone over 50 or close to fifty even. We're pretty open. I'm 64. We all have at least similar issues, menopause not being the only one of course.

Whatever everyone wants to do is fine with me.
  • grandmamere
    grandmamere Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    PianoRun wrote: »
    Golden Globes 2015 older women
    zznb2sr07dhl.jpg
    Julia Louis-Dreyfus, 53
    The Good Wife‘s Christine Baranski, 62
    Helen Mirren, 69
    Jane Fonda, 77

Saw Jane Fonda last night and my mouth dropped. I mean really she looks stunning PERIOD.
    Then my thought went to "Has she had any kind of surgeries(s)?"
    I kept looking at her neck and wondered how she kept it froming looking"old"'
    Then I stopped my thoughts and was still impressed with her appearance!
  • fatcitizen
    fatcitizen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I think making a group would be great....
  • FishyK
    FishyK Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I just joined the 50, female, fun group and will continue following this thread. Thanks!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I have no experience whatsoever in groups, I am happy to find a group of people of a similar age though.
    Whichever way we go, I will follow.
    Cheers, h.
  • happyloser58
    happyloser58 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 57 and need to lose 70 lbs. like many of you, I have battled weight all my adult life. Ready to get fit and healthy!
  • karen0214
    karen0214 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I found this thread yesterday and I'm so glad I did. I haven't had a chance to read everything yet, but will be back to do so. It is great to find others who are in my age group who are dealing with menopause and other similar issues. I am feeling very inspired!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!